Supra Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· WhorE
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I changed my oil the other day and slapped on a new drain plug and washer and now I have a hefty oil leak. I noticed my old plug the washer was disengrated (missing) and it didnt leak. Could the washer be causing it to leak?? Anyone have this problem??

Thanks,

Wayne

· Ludicrous speed! GO!
2,559 Posts
so its a new drain plug and a new washer...?

You got it on pretty tight? Made sure the drain plug is the right one?

· function > form
518 Posts
My E30 leaks from the drain plug. Dumbass previous owners stripped the threads in the pan. I just put a light ring of silicone between the washer and pan when I do an oil change and give it 15 mins to settle in a little before pouring the new oil in. An extra $0.02 per oil change is less than $200 for a new pan.

· Dr. Jeff Lange
8,964 Posts
Where did you get the washer? I'm assuming you got it all from Toyota right? If so, I have no idea why it would be leaking, doesn't make much sense.

G

·
I had the exact same problem on my supra lucky for me I work with lexus techs that used to be toyota techs back in the early 90s. if you notice on our oil pan were the threads are there is a gap in the threads they do not go all the way around. If you tighten the plug to tight it makes a dent where that gap is at it will leak. I just put silicone on the threads for a while then i just got up the money and time to change the pan.

· 92 TURBO
1,786 Posts
Jeff Lange said:
Go to Toyota, order a new bolt and gasket, torque, and watch as no oil leaves the pan! :)
^What Jeff says + 25 ft/lbs < No more. Mine never leaks a drop. Black TOYOTA gaskets, buy a bag of 10 and 25 Ft/lbs. Yes I use a torque wrench on it even the the oil filter gets 13 ft/lbs. 13 ft/lbs = 3/4 of a turn once gasket makes contact.
Mike

· Registered
121 Posts
i had the exact same problem for about 2 mo...and today it got fixed! the mech i know is a genious. With the washer on there when u tighten it, the washer doesnt tighten completely around, if u look closesly at it, it should have like a "c" shape from where it isnt tightening all the way. What my mechanic did was make a washer out of a type of hard leather. The leather expands so it sealed completely around when we tightened it, so i have no leak now :sadance: LMK if it works

· CR,7M Indio~
112 Posts
mines leaks too, i cut a piece of leather made a center hole and tight it on, problem fixed!

· WhorE
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well I fixed that problem I just tightened it more, just noticed my rear main seal is leaking now :madfawk: Im guessing when I put the motor in I was a little too rough on it and fubared the rear seal. I guess Ill just have to yank it out and fix it.

Wayne

· Registered
175 Posts
OK - I can help on this one.

As 91supra85 says, there is a nut welded to the inside of the oil pan, and to let the oil drain past the height of the nut, Toyota made a gap at the bottom.
We use an allen wrench slightly smaller than the hole (not the drain plug hole, the small hole between the pushed in sheet metal, and the nut welded inside).
Pull / push on the allen wrench and lever out the dent. It helps to make the pushed in spot come out to just higher than the surrounding metal. Then reinstall drain plug & gasket, and torque to spec.

No need for a new oil pan, or leather gaskets, etc.

I could come up with some pics if written description inadequate.

B

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.