Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 133 Posts

·
Administrator
17,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, as most of you know...that car is making the road test rounds right now, and I've read at least 3 reviews (including a comparison test with the C6 Vette) of it already.

Can you say underwhelming performance for a 500 hp car? Wow.

Isn't this when manufacturers typically send their "factory freak" cars out to put up good numbers? Even Toyota apprantly did that in 1993 with the Supra TT. But this time Ford seems to want to convince us that their latest super-turd doesn't actually make 500 hp at all? It's very strange.

So far I've seen quarter mile times ranging from very high 12's to extremely low 13's, but the trap speed is what amazes me (in a negative way). That damn car is trapping 112 - 113 mph with 500 hp. Sure, you could point a finger at the supremely high curb weight of nearly 3900 pounds, but at least one magazine was quick to point out that the BMW M6, also with 500 hp and 3900 pounds, ran a 119 mph trap speed.

So, due to all these factors, the base C6 Corvette (with Z51 package) handily outperformed the GT500, and it was even mentioned that the 2003 Mustang Cobra performed on par with this car when bone stock. I think Ford totally dropped the ball on this one, but despite my humble opinion they seem to be in demand and selling for considerably over sticker price. I have no doubt that the aftermarket will do some great things with this car, but the stock performance numbers are a total let down. :(

·
!black
4,622 Posts
I thought the weight was closer to 4100?

The times suck, and I am overall WAAAAY underwhelmed. Especially at the price point... no way would I lay out 42K for a mustang.

·
Administrator
17,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The weight was about 3896 in the tests I saw, but 4100 would be more like a test weight (including driver).

·
NFA Pimp
2,734 Posts
Ford is odd with their numbers. I think it was either the 99 or 01 Cobras they had problems on and had to rerate the HP on those cars and customers were pissed that Ford overated the HP levels. Then they came out with the 03 Cobra and underated the HP on that car. People were dynoing in at 365-370+ RWHP on a bone stock Cobra that was suppose to have 390 flywheel hp.

·
Administrator
17,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I also remember the 1999 Cobra fiasco, in which private owners dynoed their Cobras and called Ford out on overrating them. Ford then had to install a performance package to make the numbers backup the brochure. Then, having learned from that embarassing lesson, Ford underrated the 2003 Cobra SVT. However, it sure as hell seems like they're on the verge of repeating the 1999 fiasco all over again to me based on the track numbers of the GT500. :(

·
I Solve Problems
4,349 Posts
I thought these cars were 450 horse, not 500?
Either way too heavy!

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
I've been reading all the reviews and honestly just am not impressed at all. I'd much sooner buy an 05 GT and throw on a single turbo kit. It's kind of a shame for whoever dropped the ball regarding the GT500 cause this is probably the last big thing Shelby will do in his life.

·
Wobbiest: Three Laws Safe
6,137 Posts
Ford definatley needs to get new SVT engineers, but here's the thing - Ford has really stepped it up in the past year or so and is producing a better overall product then GM IMO. The C6 may be faster, but I'd worry less about the GT falling apart on me. Those traps are disturbingly low, but if Ford skimpped more on their Q/A and build quality like Gm, you would have a faster car I believe. I am not saying the FoMoCo cars are the pinnacle of quality either, but they have run circles around GM lately.

Funny how two of the big dog american sports cars still have archaic suspensions. The GT500 will be quite easy to get big numbers out of though.

·
Never narc'd on nobody
3,246 Posts
I too was reading some of those reviews.....I looked at the title and the hp ratings back and forth a few times wondering "Am I thinking of the right car??" For whatever the reason, 13's @ 113 from a 500hp Mustang sound pretty weak. I definetly expected more, whatever the weight number really is.

·
Banned
2,655 Posts
well it looks like low mile 2003-2004 cobras will be in high demand :)

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
I read this last night in motor trend. it seem that 0-60 and 1/4 mile the GTO and the Hemi cars are dead with it and a lot cheaper. Granted it looks good but ill keep my $10-12K and ride a GTO all day long.

Speaking on the 99 cars, A friend of mine had one. It was so slow it was not funny. You could hold it wide open and rip second gear and not even get the car to spinn. I also found strange on those was when you let up on the gas to shift it was like your foot was still on the gas. The rpms didnt want to drop.

·
6,137 Posts
50,000 lb flywheel FTW.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Wait so it runs low 13's, at around 112mph, on pump gas and street tires, and sells for $50,000.

I think I know what to ask for my car now when it's time to sell it. :rofl: :wtflol:

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Sssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

You're going to wake the "well if you throw some money in its faster than these other stock cars" crowd. I can hear them clicking the reply button already.
mavisky said:
Wait so it runs low 13's, at around 112mph, on pump gas and street tires, and sells for $50,000.

I think I know what to ask for my car now when it's time to sell it. :rofl: :wtflol:

·
6,137 Posts
yeah but it drives the right wheels and doesnt have a front end that looks like an Asian kid.

·
Registered
81 Posts
The quality of a C6 corvette should be on par with a Cobra. So let me see a naturally aspirated 400 hp car or a car that is already force fed and is not even faster and theres a ton of new bodied mustangs floating around. I'll also take the corvettes handling potential over the gt500 anyday.

·
Banned
2,655 Posts
davidX said:
Sssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

You're going to wake the "well if you throw some money in its faster than these other stock cars" crowd. I can hear them clicking the reply button already.
dont worry the mustang hand holders will be here soon :rofl: :rofl:

1 - 20 of 133 Posts