Supra Forums banner

anyone ever go through tigerjapanese.com to buy an engine?

2K views 45 replies 17 participants last post by  the t3d 
#1 ·
they don't look that bad. they have a warranty on their engines and whatnot. i was just wondering if anyone has bought an engine through them and/or had a good or bad experience???? ALL FEEDBACK WOULD BE AWESOME!

thanks, t3d

#3 ·
awesome. that would be cool if you could let me know how the engine looks and turns out when you get it. i'm just looking for some feedback before i decide to buy anything from them

-t3d

#7 ·
Good luck with the swap bro. Honestly, if you're going to purchase a used turbo engine, just check over everything with a fine tooth come a few times before you install it no matter where you purchase it from.

#8 ·
Kinda funny. I just got one in Monday. The shipping was pretty quick, but their site has a few problems. They say they take American express but they dont and other little stuff. I havnt opened the engine up yet, but it is in OK shape from the outside. The 3000 pipe and vac hardlines are rusty or tarnished. so cosmetically its not too pretty. The engine looks to be in good shape, the turbo has no shaft play, the dipstick is not black. So far, i have not had any big problems with them. I will leave more comments once i open it up.

#10 ·
I was running one for bout four months w/ no problems. they put a new head gasket on so make sure you check all hoses before you install. small one behind thermo housing got me, also the turbo oil lines will be undone most likely. just blew the head gasket that they replaced though(15 pounds, couldnt take it)

#11 ·
so far, the responses are looking good enough to give them a try. oh i'm gonna make damn sure that i check everything before i drop that bitch in. and possibly throw in a few upgrades on it while i'm at it. =0)

jayson-whenever i have time and the vehicle to do so, i can drop that shit off.

keep it coming guys!

-t3d

#20 ·
Tiger Japanese is the shit!!! Like I said I ordered a 1jz from them with a cut harness no ecu and an auto tranny. Well when It got here today I was shocked that not only did it have a uncut harness but and ecu r-154 even the fuse box. I don't know why they did it but I'm fucking glad.

So what your saying is they dont deliver what they promise. Dont meen to bash them, but what if you wanted the Auto trans? Or say already bought a R-154 and 1JZ bellhousing?

Cool overall for you though :bigthumb: But that tells me to ask them and be specific about what you may or may not be getting with your motorset.

#13 ·
Damn looks like they fucking you over something NICE! +1 for tigerjapanese. Hopefully they fuck over some other guys too:)

#17 ·
Oddly, I agree with Jayson. You open it up, look, yep its all there. Put it in and then what? If you plan on taking things apart and the possible need for new bearings/machining. Finding a motor and building it will be better. That is if your machine shop is worth a shit and you have the confidence to build a motor.

#18 ·
There shop is 30 mins from me.

I got an engine from them 3 years ago, and had them install it (7mgte). It took them a month to do the swap and then when they finished, I got 10 mins down the highway and the oil pressure went to zero. KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK.

After a heated phone call from them, they replaced the engine for free and it was fine...

The new engine I ripped out, changed the head gasket and boosted the hell out of it and its been fine since.

So make your own judgement from it.

#21 ·
damn you guys are making this tough for a decision. i guess it's mostly just taking a chance anywhere if you buy an engine... this is a pain in the ass. keep it coming

#23 ·
ANY JDM engine is a crapshoot...they KNOW the engines will be removed after a certain mileage over there so they dont give a shit about them most of the time.

7 out of 10 JDM engines will more likely then not have BHG within startup to 100 miles.

id say 4 out of ten will develop rod knock within the same time span.

ive done a lot of work with jdm engines.... and i dont think ive seen ONE that didnt have a decent problem.

i bought one and put it in...it had a bad wrist pin so it was fucked. i installed one for a customer and it got bhg within a week. later got rod knock after a "quick fix" by the owner. i have a jdm engine i just ripped out of a customers car because it got BHG, i took the head off ready to do the normal mhg job and low and behold the block was cracked to hell and rendered it useless.

sometimes youll get lucky....but dont expect the engine to be anywhere near "ready to drop in" when you get it. id rather spend 300-500 on a blown 7mgte and then completely tear it down and rebuild it etc...then spend 1000-1200 on a jdm engine and have to replace things or simply throw it in and THEN have it break and spend that money anyways.

just some thoughts.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.