Supra Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My clutch blew out today, i haven't even had the car for a week yet, and i'm out of school for about a month so i don't have anylifts or tools so i have to have someone do it, whats a good estimant for this?? how much on average do clutches for these cars cost, i have the 3.0l straight 6 turbo if you need to know!!! Thanks guys!!!

·
Dr. Jeff Lange
9,352 Posts
yeah, probably everyone on this board has had their clutch changed.

I don't know exactly what a good price is for it, but it depends on if you upgrade the clutch at all, who does it, etc.

·
No One Ever Listens To Me
5,467 Posts
drjonez said:
nah, i've never changed a clutch. what exactly does it do?
come on bro..dont be like that...hes asking a simple question which yeah could be searched but if youre gonna post might as well make it informational....im sure YOU of all people would know how to change a clutch......dropping it for those burnouts ;):D speaking of which i think im getting the spec stage 3 from wooooosh and he said its coming from you? or you have the same clutch or something like that..just curious how you like it? do you know the specific tq and hp ratings on it? and about how much did the pedal pressure increase......i tried finding some good specs but cant seem to find what im looking for..maybe im dumb lol

but back on topic...... bro a clutch change done by a pro will be about 700 bucks.......and about 300-400 of that is the clutch.....IF you go through them to buy it.....you can get a brand new STOCK clutch for our cars for around 200 on ebay....just make sure its the turbo version.....hell i even saw an auction over in like 2 days and it was at 5 bucks for a brand new stock clutch lol

HTH!

·
Premium Member
6,130 Posts
Lakaiguy85 said:
My clutch blew out today, i haven't even had the car for a week yet, and i'm out of school for about a month so i don't have anylifts or tools so i have to have someone do it, whats a good estimant for this?? how much on average do clutches for these cars cost, i have the 3.0l straight 6 turbo if you need to know!!! Thanks guys!!!
A clutch job is pretty easy man, its the top to bolts that are a little hard to get too, go buy yourself the TSRM or find it online, its pretty straight forward and easy, a new clutch from the dealer (clutch, bearings, pressure plate) is about $180 last I checked. You don't even need any special tools since its a turbo, no need for any alignment kits or anything, just need another helping hand since its pretty heavy, aight good luck, peace

·
Super Moderator
10,243 Posts
Stock replacement clutches run between $150-250 not including labor depending on where you are and what brand it is. I'd recommend having the flywheel turned and make sure they will maintain the 2 different levels on the surface, the engagement surface is elevated compared to the pressure plate mounting surface. Most machine shops deal with that just fine but make sure.

HTH

·
5,467 Posts
Re: Re: anyone ever have a clutch replaced??

BoostAddctn said:
You don't even need any special tools since its a turbo, no need for any alignment kits or anything, just need another helping hand since its pretty heavy, aight good luck, peace

umm is it just me or wouldnt a clutch alignment tool be handy/neccessary? :dunno:

·
MА70>MA71>SC400
792 Posts
Fbro a clutch change done by a pro will be about 700 bucks.......and about 300-400 of that is the clutch..

For 700 you can buy the clutch+ pretty much all the tools you need to get the job done yourself, if youre somewhat mecanical you can do it-trust me.
After doing a trany swap on my mge i got very mechanical if i could do that you can do the clutch.
speaking of my trany swap it costed me about 800 us, think.

Your best bet is ebay just like Ideal said.
Late

·
5,467 Posts
drjonez said:
heh. read the TSRM.

no alignment too needed when the clutch disc is already on the input shaft of the trans when you bolt it up......:rolleyes:

oh yeah, www.specclutch.com
oh yeah..dur that makes sense..im so used to pulling the engine without the tranny and after stripping it ...havnig to use the alignment tool to put the clutch disk back on...hehe my bad

and dont roll your eyes at me mister! :nono: :D

and thanks for the site....but how do YOU like it? also is he getting it from you? or someone you know? thanks bro!

EDIT: 520tq...awesome right about where my end goal is....

Carl said:
Fbro a clutch change done by a pro will be about 700 bucks.......and about 300-400 of that is the clutch..

For 700 you can buy the clutch+ pretty much all the tools you need to get the job done yourself, if youre somewhat mecanical you can do it-trust me.
After doing a trany swap on my mge i got very mechanical if i could do that you can do the clutch.
speaking of my trany swap it costed me about 800 us, think.

Your best bet is ebay just like Ideal said.
Late
yeah that quote was from when i bought the car and got stuck in VA without ANYTHING......so i had no choice but to have a shop do it...and it was like 700 and some change including the clutch and labor.....

i too agree its a good learning experience so if you have tiem and are interested in learning how to work on your car..its a good first step to do it yourself. :D

·
5,467 Posts
drjonez said:
i recommend them heavily. i wouldn't do so if i didn't like it...it holds the power, what more is there? the stage 3 is a bit chattery, but it IS a puck disc....
thank you sir! :D

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah i thought about changing it i've changed a few before and it's a pain even with all the tranny jacks and air tools, i real would rather not have to do it myself. And yeah dude i just wanted a straight forward answer not some sarcastic bullshit!!! so about 500-700 bucks for the whole thing?? thats about howmuch i paid for the car, this sucks!!! It's already at the shop so i don't think i'm gonna do unless they charge too much then i'll just tow it and do it myself, i really don't have much time, i have a job i need to go to everyday!

·
5,467 Posts
Lakaiguy85 said:
so about 500-700 bucks for the whole thing??
that was in VA at a shop that i didnt have much of a selection in going to...they did good work and quick...but just take those factors into consideration...id say if you look around for a good shop and bought the clutch yuorself from ebay or whatnot..... it would be 500 at the most....

good luck!

·
Just some guy
1,681 Posts
IIRC I paid about $150 at autozone for a clutch. Took about 5hrs with the help of 1 person (with 1 hour devoted to the starter :rolleyes: ). Its not that difficult.

Christian

·
b/a/a/b/1
609 Posts
damn clutch change and it only cost 700??? my clutch cost almost that (~650 :) ) just for the clutch

·
Registered
449 Posts
yeah man.....i'd prolly do it myself if i was you.....best done with 2 people though. IMO... one to turn the crank shaft pulley and one to loosen the bolts on the PP........and our tranny isn't light either...haha...i thought i got all the bolts taken off...but that upper left one hid from me....i couldn't figure out why i the damn thing wouldn't come out....sure enuff it was hiding behind one of the ridges of the tranny...took that bolt out and the damn thing nearly fell on my head....haha...if i wasn't as strong as i was that thing woulda take me out....haha.....my only other problem was...was gettin the damn tranny to align again...the Haynes that i had said to put the clutch and pp back on the flywheel before puttin on the tranny....well duh!!!!! it worked a whole lot better when i jus put the whole assembly on the spline...and put the biatch back on.....haha...
the things we learn

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
just search - i found an act 6 puck, a lightweight jun flywheel, and an act racing pressure plate combo on www.thepartstrader.com all brand new for $550. Just be careful who you buy from -- dont want to get ripped.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts