Supra Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive exterior Grey Automotive lighting

Switch panel left of the steering wheel looks normal other then being pretty dirty. The center console piece looked the same to until I cleaned it. Now.
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Fixture Cameras & optics

I took it off because it had some white staining on it. I thought some dawn water, green scrub pad and maybe try to spray paint it depending on how the cleaning went. As soon as I started scrubbing on it the surface instantly turned to sticky goo. More scrubbing didnt help so I just stopped and let it dry. The surface still has a little grain but it feels just like rubber and sticky like a little kids slime ball toy. The whole exterior of the panel is now snot. Wtf?????

Just curious if anyone has seen anything like this before? I've heard Infiniti/Nissan both made dashes that will develop sweat bubbles. Idk. This looks like the surface just disintegrated. The water coming off was pretty dirty but wow.

I am probably gonna try to bedliner over it just to keep with rustic theme I got going on.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Yes, I had the IS300 "sticky dash" looked just like that. I used a light scuff pad with Goof Off to remove all the sticky stuff and painted the dash with Duplicolor interior paint

Car Plant Vehicle Motor vehicle Steering part
Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Door Personal luxury car

Car Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive design Automotive mirror
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Bumper Automotive exterior Fender

Automotive tire Bumper Rolling Motor vehicle Automotive exterior
Car Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive design Steering wheel

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well that is good to know. I guess I just never heard of anything like that with older cars.

·
Registered
Toyota Supra Turbo 7M-GTE with R154 5-speed
488 Posts
I’ve had a few tools and a particular model of internet routers that turn sticky like that, but never on my dash (which was repainted from grey to black). I’m quite sure that I’ve tried Goof-Off, with no success. The Brillo idea with a repaint is a possibility though. I bought a bunch of handles filled with razor blades, name brand stuff, and they’d all done that by the time the first one was empty.

·
90T
1,041 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
But in my opinion its a molecular change in the plastic, and nothing can fix it.
If that's true I guess the greasy stains were the only thing holding it together.

I'm gonna try some alcohol first mainly cause I already have some. If I could get it cleared of sap I could at least try to paint it. I have a feeling I'm gonna end up doing something more drastic later on.

I guess I have seen some pictures on line if weird plastic stuff but just figure it was a new car thing. The rate at which it happened almost makes me think it was chemical but dawn isn't reactive.

·
Registered
253 Posts
As a side note, don't use Windex or any alcohol containing cleaner on your buttons, knobs, turn signals, etc. that have the white factory decals because it will take it off.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Well, if it helps, I've repainted a dash and an entire headliner with the SEM line of vinyl dye and it worked spectacularly. So you can be assured you can do that with confidence.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts