Supra Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
LexusTico
3,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw some laser cut window tint for sale on that auction site and I'm wondering if anyone's ever used it. The 4 hits I got showed they had really positive seller ratings.

I'm just SICK of paying for "quality" window tint and installation only to have it go purple a few years down the line. I also *just* had my two 1/4 windows tinted locally TWICE and they got little specs of dust and a hair in it BOTH times. Installers around here really suck... and that's considering that my windows were brand new out of the box and weren't even installed on the vehicle! How much easier can it get? :rolleyes:

Anyway sorry for the rant, anyone bought and done this themselves before?

·
Blue Thunder
3,590 Posts
I just by the roll of stuff and do it myself. The side windows and the front strip are easy to do.
The rear I'd pay someone to do. Just had my rear done for $50. Hell you are in MIAMI the tint capito;
of the world !!! You can't find ANYONE decent? They charge $125 for the Supra here and they come
with a no dust/bubble/hair/wrinkle warranty !!!:1poke:
Those guys need hair nets .:D There is alot of pollen about this year. Find a place that does it indoors.

PS: Make your on templates. Put the sheet of tint on the window and cut it a lil oversize. The sides
you can cut to the exact size needed. Easy.

·
LexusTico
3,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
trust me, with so many installers around here, it is actually tougher to find a good one! Tint shops start up and close down on a weekly basis... making warranties worthless when your tints go purple.

Every time I see a car around here with nice looking tints I compliment them on it and ask for a reference... most of the time I get the same answer: "ehhh.. they're not that good don't even go there, there's a bubble here (points), a little dust speck there (points), some wrinkles... I had to go 3 times" etc. etc.

Now on top of that I'm also worried about those idiots scratching my new paint.. car was in the shop for 8 months so I do NOT want it going back in there, not even to say hello.

·
iSketch Master!
9,044 Posts
I'm surprised you can't find anyone. No ones lists full liftetime warranties against discoloration or bubbling over there? That is what my friend offers, and I wouldn't go anywhere else.

Doing the front windows on the Sup is cake though, I say just buy a roll and do it yourself. Make sure you get some good stuff.

·
LexusTico
3,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm surprised you can't find anyone. No ones lists full liftetime warranties against discoloration or bubbling over there?
They do.. but I'm not sure if it's just my luck or what, but the 3 places I've used (twice on the Mk4 and once on the Mk3) have claimed to be using SolarGard or 3M and the 3 places are now out of business... my tints purpled and when I came back they were gone. My brother had his matrix tinted by a nice shop about a mile from my house and he had to go back twice for tint that peeled at a corner. Now his tints are purple and the shop is gone... My sister got limo tint on her black camry and those are purpling too... guess what, shop is gone... Same with friends.. :sadwavey:

·
iSketch Master!
9,044 Posts
Oh damn. That freaking sucks man. Damn Miami! Maybe you need to ask for some help in the regional section. I'm sure there has to be at least a few guys that have used the same place on their cars.

Alex

·
SuperMember
3,154 Posts
find a reputable stereo shop, some of them do window tint and if they are "reputable" I doubt they will go out of business anytime soon

·
Registered
202 Posts
Note to self: never get car tinted in Miami. I'm with supratter, try a good stereo shop that does tinting as well. I've had good luck in the past with these shops and though they had a lifetime warranty I never needed it.

·
Wingless By Choice
63 Posts
What about driving out of the Miami area? I have Llumar tint on my vehicles and they take FOREVER to begin fading. When I got my truck done, I went to the same guy who did my MKIV. I'm planning on having the Supra done again this summer cause it's NOW starting to fade, and I got it tinted back in 2000.

If you get in touch with the manufacturer, many times they can tell you which shops are on their "pro installer" lists.

Just my 0.02

Raven

·
Banned
1,068 Posts
I have actually used those kits and they worked good. No discoloration yet. And i just ordered one for the supra over the weekend. I'll let you know when i am done.

·
LexusTico
3,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
u could get the precuts and then see how they work i mean what can they cost like 40 bucks?
right.. but i'm not trying to spend my $ on garbage, and my time is tight, don't wanna spend it working with garbage either - reason why I'm asking if anyone's used them...

I have actually used those kits and they worked good. No discoloration yet. And i just ordered one for the supra over the weekend. I'll let you know when i am done.
Great to hear! Definitely let me know how it goes... I have a few buddies with Supras locally that might be interested too, it might save a bunch of us some headaches.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I tint windows for a living here in KY. the thing you need watch is purchasing died tint. What you need is to double check that the tint being used is fully metalized. if its not metalized chances are its gonna fade in little or no time. Also there are reputable window tint companies such as Llumar, mentioned before, that offer a partially metalized film...this is why it took a long time for it to fade. What you will notice is with a partially metal film it will tend to lighten up more than change colors. Now another route to take other than fully metalized is a full carbon tint. These films were designed to prevent radio reception on new cars with antennas in the rear glass.

If you are having trouble finding a good film i will be willing to cut patterns off my 94, and send them to you, just PM me if your interested. I generally don't do this type thing but for fellow MKIV owners i might make an exception!

·
Supraless By Choice
1,430 Posts
The place i used for the FJ has been in business for 16 yrs i believe... Heck, sheldon had his first car (accord) tinted there... I'm going to take the new truck there too... Although they did get dust on the windshield, they were going to re-do it... I just never took it back to them cause i knew i was going to lemon law the truck...
Dan

·
Supraless By Choice
1,430 Posts
If you are having trouble finding a good film i will be willing to cut patterns off my 94, and send them to you, just PM me if your interested. I generally don't do this type thing but for fellow MKIV owners i might make an exception!
AWJ,
Don't do supratico any favors... He has some wise ass comments about KY and it's people! LOL Ask him to tell you...
Dan

·
LexusTico
3,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Oh if you could do that, it would be GREAT and very appreciated! Shoot me an email @ [email protected] and let me know how much you want for it and where to send the $! I'd only need the door windows, back glass, and maybe a windshield if you're up for it.

The place i used for the FJ has been in business for 16 yrs i believe... Heck, sheldon had his first car (accord) tinted there... I'm going to take the new truck there too... Although they did get dust on the windshield, they were going to re-do it... I just never took it back to them cause i knew i was going to lemon law the truck...
Dan
LOL according to Toyota, they made your windshield leak too, NO THANKS! ;) but yeah, see what I mean? they get dust in it, and then you have to go back.... so they can fix it... and in my case they still got dust in it after returning! Also, with all the trouble I had getting my car out of the body shop I don't want to risk the slightest scratch... interior either, I got enough interior panels scuffed from sitting in pieces at the shop, don't need more. All these guys are too hyper and off the wall, must be the cuban coffee :dunno:

AWJ,
Don't do supratico any favors... He has some wise ass comments about KY and it's people! LOL Ask him to tell you...
Dan
lol.. saying all their fried chicken is technically KFC is hardly a wise ass comment... :stickpoke I love KFC!

·
Hardtopper Once Again!
1,709 Posts
Tony,
I know it's a bit of a drive but if your up in the Pompano area I would recommend Custom Tinting. The guy Phil has been in business for a long time and I have brought many cars to him without any problems.

·
Supraless By Choice
1,430 Posts
Tony,
I know it's a bit of a drive but if your up in the Pompano area I would recommend Custom Tinting. The guy Phil has been in business for a long time and I have brought many cars to him without any problems.
Dave,
Is he reasonable on price? What's his info?
thanks,
Dan

1 - 19 of 19 Posts