Supra Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
2,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever really done some work to try and figure out why the supra brake pedal lacks so much feel?

I have one idea and a similar situation to back it up.

After I installed my trd strut bar I started getting a metalic squeak when the engine torqued, mainly at start up, sometimes under quick accel from a dead stop. Turns out there were two little metal prongs on top of the rubber damper thing that the throttle cable goes through, which connects to the bracket mounted on the block side of the intake manifold; which was touching the bottom of the strut bar and making the squeak when the motor torqued around any. When I took the bar off to check it out sure enough there were two little flat spots on the under side where the prongs had been touching.

Anyway, after I cut the prongs off and shaved some extra off of the top of the damper thing, the bar cleared it fine, the squeak went away, and.....the gas pedal suddenly had 10x more vibration in it. Apparently the contact between the metal prongs and the strut bar was dampnening alot of vibration/pedal feel, that would normaly make it all the way to your foot on the gas pedal.

I dont know much about barke systems, but my initial thought was that somewhere the vibration that would normaly make it all the way to your foot is being dampened, either by accident like with the trd strut bar, or was designed like that on purpose.

What do you think?

· Registered
316 Posts
I'm probably misunderstanding your question but try bleeding your brakes. I don't think the MKIV brake pedal lacks feel but I know they feel less soft once I bleed the brakes. You can also try stainless steel brake lines but most will argue that they don't make much of a difference. This all assumes that your brake system is working correctly.

Ash

· Banned
666 Posts
I also have a problem with soft brakes. When I first got the car, I replaced the pads and rotors, thinking that would help the problem. I flushed the system and added Motul 6 fluid. There is nothing wrong with the brake system and it works great to stop the car.

However, the soft pedal feel remains. I have an Infiniti J30 and the pedal feel and response is like night and day compared to the supra. I think a performance car like the supra should have been designed with excellent pedal feel and response to the driver.

· Registered
2,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
SupraStar2000 said:
I'm probably misunderstanding your question but try bleeding your brakes. I don't think the MKIV brake pedal lacks feel but I know they feel less soft once I bleed the brakes. You can also try stainless steel brake lines but most will argue that they don't make much of a difference. This all assumes that your brake system is working correctly.

Ash

Neither is the problem. The supra just has an inherent pedal feel problem. They are bleed and the lines are in great shape (though not stainless).

N00bster: One of my original thoughts was that there might be some kind of rubber damper in the pedal somewhere, but it sounds like you are talking about something different. What did you do, and what problem did it solve. Did it make the pedal give more feedback, decrease the engagement distance, increase required pressure (doubt it), etc.... , ?

My fathers 1995 ls400 has better pedal feel than the supra. Doesnt brake near as well, but the pedal is gives more feedback.

· i always say toyota !
3,385 Posts
man, i don't know what the hell are you saying here. the topic sounds like you are saying the supra brake is got the soft feeling. and you mentioned all the junk , but not the soft feeling on the body.

vibration feeling on the brake pedal? what do i think? your rotors.

· i always say toyota !
3,385 Posts
0wned said:
I also have a problem with soft brakes. When I first got the car, I replaced the pads and rotors, thinking that would help the problem. I flushed the system and added Motul 6 fluid. There is nothing wrong with the brake system and it works great to stop the car.

However, the soft pedal feel remains. I have an Infiniti J30 and the pedal feel and response is like night and day compared to the supra. I think a performance car like the supra should have been designed with excellent pedal feel and response to the driver.

what year is your supra?

· Registered
1,668 Posts
OK, the newest MKIV(US) is 8 years old, the rubber lines, regardless of mileage are probably shot, dry rotted and expanding when you hit the pedal, thus the soft feel. I've replaced a lot of rubber lines on my cars and it always firms up the pedal, and that's w/ stock replacement lines. Maybe try stainless lines, and while you're at it, replace the hydraulic clutch line if you have a 6 sp.

· Registered
2,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ill try replacing it with stainless lines, but its not like this just issue just came up.
Alot of people have experianced it in the past and had random discussions, but I dont think anything conclusive ever came from it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.