Supra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am seriously thinking about going to WyoTech. Before really deciding what to do I'd love to hear are the pros and cons, and anything else you'd want to talk about it. Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
2 of my co-workers went there, they said its pretty dumb. you pay a shitload of money but you don't get much out of it. they said you mostly do hands on work and they just teach you the basics. so its not really worth all that money? do you want to work on cars for a living?
O BTW the one cool thing about it is that you get a HUGE discount on tools.

·
Boostin
321 Posts
ya u do get a huge discount on tools! i looked into it too but its def a lot of money, chaba if ur interested in auto tech the city college in SB has a really good program and well it would be a lot cheaper than wyotech, also look into UTI im my opinion its a better program

·
JZA80 > JZA70
1,810 Posts
snapon tools are really cheap at wyotech but way to expensive in my opinion, i'd rather go american river city college and take the toyota program class is not expensive and u learn the stuff you need and they throw u at a toyota to work with

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
lilazni3uoy said:
snapon tools are really cheap at wyotech but way to expensive in my opinion, i'd rather go american river city college and take the toyota program class is not expensive and u learn the stuff you need and they throw u at a toyota to work with
They have a Toyota program there?

It's something I have been seriously thinking about for a few years now. My parents are onmy case to figure out what I want to do with mylife and urging me to become a doctor.

I have heard some really good things and some really bad things about WyoTech. I am just hoping to get more info about it~

·
TE44 NA-T
1,026 Posts
I'm Going to Las Positas College in Livermore. Getting my Associates in Automotive Technology. I'ts fairly inexpensive. Picked up my Smog license, A/C license along the way. And now i'm getting paid 12.50. yay!

·
Exiled Supra Owner
3,703 Posts
Become a doctor first and make bank, then you can spend your bank on making a kick a$$ car (or buy a new one).

·
Registered
446 Posts
I have two friends graduating from Fremont wyotech in may and they seem to have learned alot at that campus. Supposedly the one in sac. has more programs, but the instructors are newer and people don't learn much there. They also said it's like a bootcamp there, short hair is mandatory for guys and other misc. stupid things like that. Even though they do get discounts on snap on tools, it's still rediculously expensive.

I thought about pursuing a career in the automotive industry, but after wrenching on a car for more than a couple days, I just want to set the thing on fire especially if it isnt even my car. I would only pursue it if you REALLY love working on cars, because it can old real quick. In the two years my friends spent at a community college plus the 2 years they spent at wyotech, they could be done with college already.

·
Hayai Kuruma!
1,357 Posts
is wyotech a school or store? care to share wut is wyotech?
sorry I've never heard of that place :angel:
is it based up in northern cali?

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Suprachik8 said:
is wyotech a school or store? care to share wut is wyotech?
sorry I've never heard of that place :angel:
is it based up in northern cali?
wyotech

It's a school, but once you go through you can get a massive discount on tools.

·
Hayai Kuruma!
1,357 Posts
supra_onna95 said:
wyotech

It's a school, but once you go through you can get a massive discount on tools.
Wow! U guys are so lucky!
I would love to go to a school like that. I wanna be able to build my own single turbo and do a lot of things that I would have to take to a shop to do :(
sucks to be a girl sometimes! :rant2:
u plannin on goin to that school chaba?
if u are, MORE POWER 2 U girl!!!! lemme kno how it goes

·
no more supras
2,175 Posts
don't limit yourself to your gender! if you're really passionate about it just go. why sell yourself short?

/motivationspeech

·
Registered
16 Posts
i went to wyotech out in laramie,wy and took auto body, street rod, and high performance engines and chassis. I learned a lot but i also payed a lot for it. For one year there it cost me 27,700 dollars. It used to be a good school before Corinthian Colleges bought it and started putting campuses everywhere and focusing more on the money instead of the students that go there. Many of my instructors quit while i was there because of how the school was being run. The diesel program is the only thing that is wourth taking there. If you want to work in the automotive field i recommend going to a community college close to you and taking thier automotive program.

·
OCC
897 Posts
An internal source at wyotech told me that there were numerous disgruntled students who had paid the big bux for the program but were unable to locate a decent paying automotive job. I sure would be pissed if I had paid $27k and still couldnt get a decent job.

People are making a big fuss over a fat discount for going to wyotech... I was in the auto program at deanza college in cupertino and got 50% off snap-on/mac tools... don't most community college programs offer the same? The auto program at deanza was great... it was very inexpensive, learned a lot, networked with others in the industry, and got a stable job at a kickass machine shop building racing engines for 8 years.

Looking back though, I'm glad I got the hell out of the automotive field. It's all good if you own the business, but being a worker sucks ass. :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts