Supra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Team ZTP
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i would like a couple 8's or 10's with targa still fitting and keeping the spare, anyone done this? and what kind of subs did you use? i saw pics on mkiv of this done with 6.5's...

·
651 Posts
I have built boxes that reside down into the stock sub location and house a single 10" or even 2-8" subs.

The top still fits and all spare tire goodies remain as they are stock.

The box is, however, just a bit tricky to build.

About $325 for me to build you one plus shipping.. Does not include subs.

Thomas Kenyon

E

·
0 Posts
ThomasKenyon said:
I have built boxes that reside down into the stock sub location and house a single 10" or even 2-8" subs.

Thomas Kenyon
Could you fill me in on the materials & thickness, and vol specs?
thanks,
Jakub

·
Supra Huntin
39 Posts
a friend of mine built me a custom box for a pair of 10" PPI Flat piston subs. Had to remove the spare tho and the box fits at the factory carpet level, so there is no issue at all with the targa.

its a combination of fiberglass and wood.

works good for me.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
ThomasKenyon said:

Thomas Kenyon
How does this sound. SPLwise how loud. I had a single Polk Db12 in my ZTT with about .75 cubic feet, and it sounded real good in the car. Didn't travel much outside. Would this be comparable considering it is a 10in. How can I contact you also?
Thanks.

·
Banned
97 Posts
My friend picked up a Supra last year with a system. Had 2 10s in sealed boxes built around the spare and room for the targa top. Im not sure who built the box, but it is very clean and the bass is very tight. It does not seem like it can work, but it does.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have 4 10" JL's along w/ an amp rack and 2 PPI deq's in my trunk.........targa fits fine. It can be done......but you must be careful in your selection of subs. I was told by the stereo shop that subs that require a deep mounting depth will mess w/ the fuel pump.

BTW......4 10's in a Supra sounds awesome.

S

·
0 Posts
yes it is possible and to get enough air space and keep the factory carpet flat. i did a little more work to get more airspace. if you strip the rear down(remove the carpet factory sub box and the foam pieces you end up with just the tire and a bare floor. i removed the metal piece seperating the sub box from the tire and spreading from shock tower to shock tower.it forms sort of a hump.i drilled out the spot welds that hold it in place. btw,i would only do this if your running a rear strut tower brace. once it was removed i bulit sides from very thin 20ga preforated steel used to make custom speaker grilles, a front and back from 1/2inch mdf and a top from 3/4 inch mdf.before installing the top i fibreglassed 2 to 3 layers of mat to the floor (covered in plastic) and up the sides to form the box. the end result is awesome bass response and no visible signs of a box with or without the top in the trunk.i didnt use the space beside the tire on the passenger side and not all of it on the driver side and have my amps mounted there below the carpet also. the jack and tools fits between the tire and the rear of the car.hope this gives you some ideas and doesnt confuse you.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts