Supra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone has run a 26 x 10 x 15 hoosier slick at the track??

It has 10 " thread width
26,4" diameter
uses a 9" rim
and section wide is 11,5"
SOFT compound

This seems to be the best sticking tire that may fit in the rear, but I don´t know.

On my search for the BEST traction I can get, I though I´d ask if someone allready tried this tire....

Thanks,
Michael

·
Driver Down
1,991 Posts
Shit dude.. have some spare half-shafts and a diff on hand! :eek:

Have you ever drove with slicks? If not, i'd try drag radials first. Slicks are a handful for someone who's never driven with them! I almost killed myself with slicks! :(

·
King of the NA-T's
4,044 Posts
I run 27x10.5-15 Hoosier Quick Time Pro's, which are basically a slick with a little tread cut in em. On a hard launch, the tire will just gently rub on the fender lip. Best 60' of 1.43 with them.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Zylo said:
Shit dude.. have some spare half-shafts and a diff on hand! :eek:

Have you ever drove with slicks? If not, i'd try drag radials first. Slicks are a handful for someone who's never driven with them! I almost killed myself with slicks! :(
What do you mean you almost killed yourself on slicks??
Where, why ??

Maybe I need to declare a bit !

I had a fast stroker + nitrous C5 Corvette, so be sure I know what I talk about!!
I had a CCW drag setup with 26 x 11,5 x 16 MT streets in the rear.
Would say perfect hook up???
NOT!!!

Ever driven ET streets on a "normal" dusty street??
Yes??
Spin like hell??

Then you know how it is here on our "airport" tracks.
NO track preperation....just dusty street !!!
We are not so lucky like you in the US to have special 1/4 mile tracks....

With the Corvette I spun badly whenever I tried to launch (without nitrous) at WOT....
I had to baby it out of the hole (although it was an Automatic)......
If I didn´t I did spin the tires through the whole first gear and part of second.....

So I need the stickiest tire I can fit under my fender.
Sure I´ll still spin with it but hopefully not that much....

Thanks,
Michael

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
DaveH said:
I run 27x10.5-15 Hoosier Quick Time Pro's, which are basically a slick with a little tread cut in em. On a hard launch, the tire will just gently rub on the fender lip. Best 60' of 1.43 with them.
Must be like the MT streets.

As it´s 27" tire and 15" wheel it´s more sidewall than I had with my 26" MT street on 16" wheel.
But has less thread wide (9"...against the 10" of the MT streets)......

Anyone knows if this Quicktime has a softer compound than the MT streets??

Fender rub would be no problem for me as I need to cut my fenders anyway, to fit the 11,5" rear wheel from my street setup :D

Anyone had both to compare ????

But if I had to go quicktime pro, I hope at least that the 27 x 11.5 x15 would fit.....

Hopefully the damn fast Swedish racers chime in.....I think they run Hoosiers also....

Thanks,
Michael

·
Driver Down
1,991 Posts
Austrian Supra said:
What do you mean you almost killed yourself on slicks??
Where, why ??
When the ass end started to "track" or wobble, I thought I lost traction and started counter steering which further compounded the problem.. ended up overcorrecting and damn near lost it.. wasn't fun :( I now know not to correct, just keep it going straight..

·
King of the NA-T's
4,044 Posts
I had MT's before I got the Hoosiers. The MT's were definitely a fair amount less stable. The Hoosiers still move around a little, but nothing like the MT's did.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Zylo said:
When the ass end started to "track" or wobble, I thought I lost traction and started counter steering which further compounded the problem.. ended up overcorrecting and damn near lost it.. wasn't fun :( I now know not to correct, just keep it going straight..
This wobble around has to do with how much air you run in the tire.
If you run low psi, then yes, it can be damn scary at the end of the track.

Also, it has to do with sidwall hight....the more sidewall, the more wobble around...

BTW, did you run skinnies or radial tires in the front when you had that problem....
Radials front and bias tires in the rear can be dangerous because the fronts do not react to the rear whobble.......

Michael

·
Driver Down
1,991 Posts
radials..

it was one of those 'teen' moments.. one of the dumber things i've done. They were used slicks off a buddies Monte that got slapped on my 5.0..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts