Supra Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was interested in one of these until I went to the forums. It appears they have a good deal of problems. Electrical and broken diffs seem to be a few concerns and take up a good deal of post. That along with lemon law buy back questions on the forums sort of put me off. Is this just something with the first year CTS V's?

Thanks,

Sam

·
Super Moderator
10,736 Posts
Sam,

Bad wheel hop problems when you launch hard (not talking about a drag-style launch, but more a stoplight to stoplight duel with an E39 M5) is probably the source of the broken diffs. Don't know much about the electrical since my friend who had one no longer does. I don't think the wheel hop problem has been fixed. Seems a shame since it prevents the car from being driven like you want to.

I've thought about these cars from time to time as they look great in silver and sound great as well, but the interior is a bit off-putting for a $50K car.

Ken.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I recently did some research on the CTS-V and the 300C SRT8... I went with the SRT8.

One of my co-workers owns a CTS-V... He has yet to destroy a differential, but he has experienced quite a bit of wheel hop.

·
Former Moderator
3,785 Posts
Sam,

as Jeremiah has suggested, the SRT8 would be a better choice IMO. You might also want to wait for the newer generation CTS-V with the 500 hp 7L V8. :) Maybe they will have taken the time to cure the wheelhop problem in the mean time.

-Olivier

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
NERVOUS said:
I recently did some research on the CTS-V and the 300C SRT8... I went with the SRT8.
Nice him and her car selections.

·
Ludicrous speed! GO!
959 Posts
Olivier Caza said:
Sam,

as Jeremiah has suggested, the SRT8 would be a better choice IMO. You might also want to wait for the newer generation CTS-V with the 500 hp 7L V8. :) Maybe they will have taken the time to cure the wheelhop problem in the mean time.

-Olivier
I think with 500hp the problem is only going to get worse.

·
Registered
244 Posts
My father-in-law has a CTS V, and i was lucky enough to drive it for two weeks while on leave.
I would have to say i wouldn't want to own one. Not that i didnt like it, but to go from a corvette to a MKIV then to the V. I didnt notice wheel hop off the start, but the suspension is way too stiff. The interior is nice but not what i expected for the money. To me it was a big C5 with four doors which isnt a bad thing if you ask me. It had a badass nav system though, alot of room and good trunk space.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's all just dreaming. My parents want to buy my RX330. I like my RX, however I need somthing a little funner. I am looking at a used LS430 for about $40K. I know it's a good deal since my RX with 45K miles feels good as new with no sqweeks or rattles. A CTS V or SRT8 will be faster, but the cheapish interiors and bad gas mileage is starting to put me off.

Sam

·
Registered
171 Posts
BPUKiller said:
It's all just dreaming. My parents want to buy my RX330. I like my RX, however I need somthing a little funner. I am looking at a used LS430 for about $40K. I know it's a good deal since my RX with 45K miles feels good as new with no sqweeks or rattles. A CTS V or SRT8 will be faster, but the cheapish interiors and bad gas mileage is starting to put me off.

Sam
I personally think the 300C SRT8 has a nicer and roomier interior than the CTS-V; primarily because of the front seats. This is only hearsay, but from what I understand the Chrysler 300C SRT8 and Mercedes Benz E55 AMG have the same front seats. The additional roominess of the 300C SRT8 comes from the fact that it is a significantly larger vehicle - More comparable to the STS than the CTS.

As for gas mileage... Yes, it is a valid concern. Both of my vehicles are 'gas guzzlers' in the most literal sense of the term.
- 300C SRT8 ~15MPG
- Grand Cherokee SRT8 ~ 13MPG

I love both of my vehicles, but they sure can drink some gas! :(

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
NERVOUS said:
I personally think the 300C SRT8 has a nicer and roomier interior than the CTS-V; primarily because of the front seats. This is only hearsay, but from what I understand the Chrysler 300C SRT8 and Mercedes Benz E55 AMG have the same front seats. The additional roominess of the 300C SRT8 comes from the fact that it is a significantly larger vehicle - More comparable to the STS than the CTS.

As for gas mileage... Yes, it is a valid concern. Both of my vehicles are 'gas guzzlers' in the most literal sense of the term.
- 300C SRT8 ~15MPG
- Grand Cherokee SRT8 ~ 13MPG

I love both of my vehicles, but they sure can drink some gas! :(
I hear you. My other car has a supercharged V8. I sucks it down at 15MPG too.

Sam

·
Registered
77 Posts
Well if the cts-v isnt fast enough there is allways the possibility of doing a supercharger on it. So far we have done a 383stroker and were doing another one in a 2006 silver one with around 500miles. Hoping for 700+ with a d1sc procharger.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
I too have looked at them a few times. they should be a blast but they do have diff problems. There are a few company that make parts that are cheap to help with this. The major problem with the cts-v is there is no room in the back seat if you have kid in a car seat.

I do like the SRT 300 that they mentioned above, but at the same time E55's and M5's are getting cheap used. Along with the Audi A8L S600's etc...

lol... 15 mpg, the old G unit get 10 in town 13 on the highway and 6.5 -9.0 when pulling something!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts