Supra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Factory Five '65 Daytona Coupe replica:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1,1&item=4619781595&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT

:drool:

I have been seriously thinking about picking one up one up next year, not as nice (and $$) as this one, but a more basic build with say a hot 302 or standard 351 Windsor, still PLENTY for a car that only weighs 2300 lbs! :run: I think this may be one of the ultimate track whores that is actually afforable to the common man, and it has TONS of style to boot. Color-wise, I would go with blue w/white racing stripe, but you get the picture, these cars are monsters! The FFR Cobra Roadsters are even sexier, but of course not as rigid/trackworthy.

I love the Supra and have road raced it, and it was very fast, but quite expensive to track and can be a handful, plus I couldn't bear the thought of losing it. And there is nothing I could ever do to have the Supra approach 2300 lbs and all the advantages that come with that, never mind the big cube V-8 with velocity stacks!

Anyone ridden in one of the Daytona or even Cobra cars from FFR?

·
Wobbiest: Three Laws Safe
6,137 Posts
I was very interested myself in the Coupe, but the build quality is piss and you need to do a billion hours of body work just to get things to fit. And its not as cheap as they lead you to believe either - go on the forums on Factory Five - the cheapest i have seen it done is about 25k and most are well north of that - especially the Coupes. That didnt drive me away so much as the gobs of body work needed though. to each there own - i love the look and the performance, but just more work then I was looking for.

·
Premium Member
4,417 Posts
I built a FFR Cobra with a neighbor.... VERY nice chassis and kit. I've heard the Daytona is a PITA in terms of bodywork.

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
I love their new model. I forgot what it's called but it's their "exotic". Looks very, very good.

·
Wobbiest: Three Laws Safe
6,137 Posts
gtm

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I have no intention of building it, just owning it and driving it. I'm not mechanical enough to tackle a full car build!

I read some glowing reviews in Car & Driver a while back about the Coupe, seems it held up very well vs some nasty tuner cars in all performance areas. Obviously, the quality of the car will depend on the skills of the builder, but I know the kit can turn out very well. Whatever the case, I would have to drive it of course to know for sure. Never seen one advertised anywhere around ATL though. I would be willing to spend up to low $30Ks for a nice one.

I could keep spending more and more on the Supra as I have over the years, and get it to a very high level, but after a while, your investment vs value ratio goes to shit. If I am going to be spending that much, I would rather have a fast Supra and ALSO a track bred 2300 lb monster instead of only a heavy (but fast) Supra with $80K invested. :faint:

EDIT: I'm aware that Superperformance makes a Daytona replica that is superior, but new it sells in the 996TT range if I'm not mistaken, probably still $50-60K used, so it's out............

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Here's the GTM btw, thanks wob.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
I too want a kit, but if i go with one it will be supraformance. i dont think they do the coups though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts