1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
2,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

· Boost Addicted.
1,390 Posts

· Boost Addicted.
1,390 Posts
Did you have to raise your idle to keep it charged? I had a one,not from HP Freaksor Speed for Sale, and my car would die if it did not idle at 1500RPM.
What is the cause of that? ... Is this normal ?

· Stock Twin 6 spd King
1,872 Posts
Contact these guys - http://myworld.ebay.com/ebaymotors/alterstart/

Ask them which Supra shops they make the alternators for :)

I personally run the largest one they make for the TT 6 speed cars. I think it's 170amp. Seems like a really nice unit that I have had no problems with in the past year or year and a half.

· Registered
2,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I checked out their ebay store and their website but I couldn't find anything for a Supra. I sent them a email so I will see what they say.

How much did you pay for your 170amp model and how many amps does it put out at idle?? What shops do they make them for?? Thanks for the info Matt!

· Stock Twin 6 spd King
1,872 Posts
You need to call them. Myself as well as a few other guys bought their high output alternators. When I was talking to them about ordering one I asked about idle output as I hear horry stories about the high output alternators needing rpm to function right. They assured me (Bobby was the guy I spoke with I believe) that it would have an increase at idle speeds. You would need to call them to get actual idle amperage as I don't have a way to measure that since it's load based.

As far as shops, you need to ask them. I don't want to get slapped on the wrists by the mods here :D

· Registered
2,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Well Bobby sent me a email saying they have a 160 or 170 amp model for $249.99+shipping and they are both the same price. He didn't specify but I assume both models put out "about 75 amps at 1000 rpms."

I asked about what shops they make these for and I got no response.

So the comparison goes like this:

SpeedForSale is 375+shipping and puts out 120amps at idle.

Alterstart is 250+shipping and puts out 75amps at idle.

· Stock Twin 6 spd King
1,872 Posts
120amp at idle from the SpeedForSale...wow. Do they provide proof of that? I checked dozens of places before I bought the 170amp upgrade and none of them quoted amperage that high at idle. If that's true, that's very impressive.

As far as performance with my AlterStart 170amp unit goes. I turned the headlights on, ac, wipers, etc. and from what I remember it was around 14.6 volts at idle with all those on. When the electric fan I had installed at the time kicked on it would drop down to 14.0 for a second then sit around 14.3. The fan was a Mark VIII which draws upwards of 50amps on startup. That's the only reason I upgraded the alternator.

If you do go with the SpeedForSale unit please provide feedback.

· Registered
2,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well the Alterstart sounds pretty good if it can handle all that stuff at idle.

As far as the SpeedForSale, I was wondering the same thing if it REALLY puts out 120 at idle.

If you think about it, 75amps at idle is almost what the stock unit puts out total ~90amps.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.