Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
BPU is so 1997
5,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hear mixed reviews. Some say it's OK stuff, some say it's junk and will fall apart in no time. More of a, "you get what you pay for." Their stuff just stuff just looks so damn cool.

They finally opened up an IKEA an hour and a half away, so I'd like to go check the stuff out and possible bring some things home.

·
In for teh nudez.
286 Posts
They have some pretty neat looking furniture. My entertainment center is from ikea and computer desk, that's about it.

·
Registered
162 Posts
if you are fresh out of college and need furniture, that place can't be beat. Some of their stuff is junk honestly, but some of the stuff has a decent quality to it.

I have seen their dressers be very nice, and i have seen some that feel like that are gonna fall apart.

Your best bet is to go check it out first hand, don't be afraid to beat on the display items to see if they will stand the test of time for what you need them for.

By no means should you furnish an entire house with the stuff though

·
ESE CULO
2,962 Posts
I love a lot of the designs they have. Unfortunately as you've already heard some stuff will indeed fall apart over time. It's because it's not made of true real wood. But the stuff I have has held up fine, I have some of the cabinets and etc and they still look perfect. And it's not hard to fix them if anything does happen. I'd only stay away from things that will see high usage like a desk. As that will chip and dent from your chair and etc over time. But stuff like dresser drawers, cabinets, and even bed frames have held up just fine. I really like the style too, just can't find it with even the more expensive stuff made out of mahogany and etc. So even if your not on a budget and just want cost effective things I say go for it. Especially when people finish college a lot of people around my area will give out ikea furniture for free.

·
Registered
31 Posts
It's all pretty much perfect dorm-room type furniture. It's cheap and built well enough to do the job, but you're certainly not going to be passing it on to future generations or anything. I have a couple book shelves and a tv stand from IKEA in the house.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
IKEA is fine if you're on a budget but my theory is that once you assemble it, it can never be disassembled and put back together again and be solid again.

·
MUDKIP FARMER
2,709 Posts
I have an ikea bed. It's ok but you can tell 2-5 years is its lifespan.

Its furniture while flimsy is functional.

Don't expect some of their shelves to hold much up besides themselves.

<--- degree in furniture design, ohh yeah.

·
In for teh nudez.
286 Posts
I have an ikea bed. It's ok but you can tell 2-5 years is its lifespan.

Its furniture while flimsy is functional.

Don't expect some of their shelves to hold much up besides themselves.

<--- degree in furniture design, ohh yeah.
You don't happen to watch Nip/Tuck do you? I think it was 2 weeks ago, one of the surgeons who replaced Christian enjoyed having sex with furniture? :lol: It was hillarious.

·
Registered
70 Posts
^^ Hahah I saw that episode as well. When they walk in on him :rofl:

I have an IKEA desk and it's not a bad quality I mean the wood was mostly plywood but who cares.. My old desk was pure wood and heavy, this one is light as heck. The IKEA prices are somewhat expensive.. .I actually found the same desk I wanted which was $300 bucks at IKEA to $50 on my local Craigslist. Some guy had a spare in the box still, brand new, and was just getting rid of it. One thing I hated was every damn piece was in pieces, it took me about an hour and a half to build the thing, but it wasn't too bad. The instructions suck nuts though.

Overall, I'm pretty satisfied with the desk. If you find something you like with a decent price, go for it. Just look at the build quality and see if its something you like.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
it's a perfect place to get stuff for a party style place

cheap so don't really have to worry about the spills

and when we had spills, it was easy to clean

designs are neat

yeah, i've heard about the quality issues too, but for that price, it works well for some good length of time

and taking care of anything will help increase the lifespan of it

heck, i have pristine bar stools from ikea from 5-6 years ago -- work as well as it did back then, partly because i don't use them anymore heh but i remember they were very inexpensive! so the price was well worth it; definitely not the best, most elegant piece you'll find, but functional

i can't comment much about some of their other items though, so i'm sure there are defects and problems elsewhere

·
Registered
376 Posts
Go to Craigslist, for the same money you'll find better stuff that will last a lot longer. I bought a bunch of stuff from there, some of which is ok and I still use, like a couple of night stands, but beyond that, everything I got there is long gone. It is decent to setup an apartment in a pinch, but go to CL and you'll find way better stuff.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Their stuff kicks ass... :D I'll snap a pic of the desk I just picked up for my girl for her office if I get a chance.

Edit: I think it was like $125 or something...has a built in dry-erase board...pretty sturdy too.

·
Registered
313 Posts
when I renovated my apartment 4 years ago I filed it with IKEA stuff only (tiles, parquet, bathroom, sleepingroom, kitchen, etc) and I have had zero issues with it. True, you get what you pay for, but from a cost-benefit perspective it is unbeatable. As IKEA use laminated cheap wood the furniture is not as stout as I would like, but as long as you don't move the things around you will be fine. Only issues I had were my bathtub and my carpet which started to flake off - but neither of them were bought at IKEA.

here are some before/after pics (only IKEA products)

·
Extra medium
877 Posts
why did you get rid of that sick brick wall paper, that shit is off the chain.

edit , cool door to nature too

oh god.... why did they have to cut down the trees

·
1,793 Posts
There store is built like a museum, where you damn near have to walk through the entire thing to get out. Took me 2 hours the one and only time I went. It really reminded me of Japanese furniture; built for tight places and stuff like that.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Decent furniture for low pricing imo. I Work there and the stuff is pretty good. If I would buy IKEA stuff myself I wouldn't buy the cheaper IKEA products, but buy the more expensive stuff. Many IKEA products have been proven to be good quality... they've tested IKEA Matrasses versus some high quality expensive swedisch brand (can't find the name at the moment) but IKEA was tested just as good and even better at just a fraction of the price.

·
Constructor of Interiors
564 Posts
Im actually about to redo my kitchen with Ikea Cabinets, cant beat the price and some of the -more expensive ones are solid wood, any comments on those?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts