Supra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Couldn't find anything in the searches since everyone seems to be going to single turbo upgrades.

Looking to see what parts I would need to gather to go back to a twin turbo setup with a header, cat and exhaust setup.

May even go with the HKS twin turbo setup :)

TIA

·
Registered
165 Posts
Probably best for you to pick up a 1993+ Toyota service manual. You can find them from tike to time on Ebay. An online picture is going to be rubbish in helping you get back to "stock".

Sent from my LM-G850 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
The HKS setup is nothing like the stock setup. They are not interchangeable in any way. They are two extremes and you need to decide which way to go. Stock setup might be $2-3k, HKS might be $15k or more.

The stock setup will run with a stock ECU, etc, the HKS usually requires a standalone, and does require a fuel system, though you could just run piggybacks. But it does require a lot of supporting mods. That's what I mean by two extremes.

Post a wanted ad in the for sale section.

Al

·
Super Moderator
10,449 Posts
What's your overall HP goal and what is it about twins, specifically, that you find appealing?

·
Registered
6,579 Posts
I think @KenHenderson had/has a twin HKS setup on one of his MKIV.
With that said, that setup is not for OEM control.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I can send you some pics of my stock twins. They are kind of buried in there though so there isn't much to see from the top. Let me know if it'll help.

·
Registered
850 Posts
A stock MKIV twin turbo USDM are to be uber rare to find now a-days and almost impossible to acquire a complete USDM twin turbo set with all parts included. Some have swapped their modified engine bays so they can sale a "unmolested 100% stock supra" and ask for a super high premium.
These cars remind me of the shows online where people say "its a numbers matching car $XXX,XXX.00
at the end of the day stokers are like a fresh tight delightful gorgeous ...... well MKIV Supra.
maybe its just the meds talking.
Gunther.jpg

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks fellas! My biggest issue is CA SMOG. I bought a Supra with a single turbo upgrade running AEM EMS and there is no way to pass SMOG with this setup. Originally I was thinking a HKS dual setup would be visually more "stock" but if it still requires engine mgmt then it won't work.

Guess what I'm looking for is the best setup that can have some small gains but retain the stock ECU to pass SMOG purposes. I appreciate all the replies, this is all a new territory for me.

(case in point I have a s2000 with a CTSC that runs low boost and stock ECU thus it can pass SMOG legally here). Less headaches overall and more car enjoyment.

thanks!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I can send you some pics of my stock twins. They are kind of buried in there though so there isn't much to see from the top. Let me know if it'll help.
I'm trying to see what else I need to buy besides the obvious stock turbos and exhaust manifold. Looks like I will need a 97+ 6MT stock ECU, trying to determine what else I need to buy.

thanks again!

·
Registered
165 Posts
We have a small amount of openings in Texas. If you want to come down and enjoy our smog free state. Just for a visit though. You can leave the car here

Sent from my LM-G850 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
10,449 Posts
thanks fellas! My biggest issue is CA SMOG. I bought a Supra with a single turbo upgrade running AEM EMS and there is no way to pass SMOG with this setup. Originally I was thinking a HKS dual setup would be visually more "stock" but if it still requires engine mgmt then it won't work.

Guess what I'm looking for is the best setup that can have some small gains but retain the stock ECU to pass SMOG purposes. I appreciate all the replies, this is all a new territory for me.

(case in point I have a s2000 with a CTSC that runs low boost and stock ECU thus it can pass SMOG legally here). Less headaches overall and more car enjoyment.

thanks!
The HKS twins look wildly different than stock so that's definitely not what you want.

What you want is the Stu Hagen upgraded twins. He does a sleeper setup that looks and appears stock but supports 700+whp with effective engine management.

However, it looks like you have a '97 which means OBD-II compliance is a must for a 100% fully compliant SMOG setup. Unfortunately that is a very difficult hurdle to overcome, which is why 93-95's are more desirable in some areas that insist on OBD-II scans as part of compliance inspections. There are no Toyota OBD-II compatible ECU's that can be tuned or fooled or otherwise altered to play nice on an OBD-II inspection while running a 2JZ-GTE.

Ultimately the best bet you've got is a return to 100% stock including ECU and turbos (which will be very expensive and difficult) or finding someone that 'knows a guy'. In which case the Stu Hagen upgraded stock twins are still very desirable as any LEO's that ask to pop your hood will see a mostly stock appearing engine bay.

Reactions: s4play

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
OP, I have to ask... I have I've had a lot of Supras over the years, I very much get the S2000 (Miata guy here, and love the much sharper edged Honda), I sorta get the BMW thing. Unfortunately I've yet to experience a Lamborghini of any sort.

However... I've had the blessing of driving two different 458's. This leads me to my question. What is it about the Supra that appeals to you? If I could sleep and shower in that Ferrari, I'd sell our house for it. :p

Also, I was gonna recommend a Garrett G25, they drive like stock but make more power everywhere, and the piping is much more simple, but... if appearance is a consideration, you're likely SOL there.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts