Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
wastegate spring mod???
im sorry but i tried to search for pictures on how to do this..
and i still dont know what to look for under the hood
so im supposed to hook the spring to the actuator arm??
and the waterpump hook?
only problem is.. i dont know what the water pump looks like..
yes im pretty new to this car...
and where is the actuator arm??
THANK YOU!!! :)

·
Registered
605 Posts
BB6SE said:
wastegate spring mod???
im sorry but i tried to search for pictures on how to do this..
and i still dont know what to look for under the hood
so im supposed to hook the spring to the actuator arm??
and the waterpump hook?
only problem is.. i dont know what the water pump looks like..
yes im pretty new to this car...
and where is the actuator arm??
THANK YOU!!! :)
I'll take a picture tomorrow and post it up.

·
Registered
605 Posts
http://photobucket.com/albums/y198/marcsmt/?action=view&current=68415660421_3300_1.jpg

http://photobucket.com/albums/y198/marcsmt/?action=view&current=68416342661_3300.jpg

The first picture shows the general area of where the waterpump is. The second picture shows how the front of the spring connects to the hole in the waterpump, and the back of the spring connects around the wastegate lever actuator arm. My finger is touching where the spring is looped into the little hole in the waterpump.

Hope this helps,
Marc

·
Hardtopper
855 Posts
ok bro,.. from one newb to another....
I just did this mod today.. all in all about 1hr,.. but if I knew this mornign what i knew now it would have only been like 5 mins.,
1st,.. bet a good stuff spring.. probably the stiffest one in a package of 5 carborator springs.
should be 7"-8" long with the ends already curled .
Now heres the thing I can do the accual install in 2 mins.
put the front end of the car on ramps... looking underneath you wont see the arm to the wastegate cause theres a piece of metal to protect the oil return line. Bend it up and back,.. get it out of your way and you should expose the arm.

Now if you can immagine your elbow,.. this is what its gonna look like on the wastegate. 1 long bar from the actuator, and that connects to another at an angle that goes to the accual wastegate. at the "JOINT" where the two meat, there enough bulk to where you can wrap on end of the spring. theres plenty of room underneath, use BOTH of your hands.
When you got it. lay the spring parallel with the bar that I spoke about just a second ago the one that goes to the wastegate acualator. Lay the spring on top of that just sitting there it should be fine.
Now get out from under neath the car lean over the radiator and with some needle nose plyers <sp> grab the other end of the spring and bring it to the open hole on the water pump.

GOOD TO GO

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
THANKS FOR THE HELP GUYS!

I found the water pump hole.. but do u guys have a better picture for the actuator arm???
i can't find that part.. dont even know what it looks like
thanks for being patient with me.. im learning

·
Registered
605 Posts
If you reach back there, you'll find it. Notice how the spring goes straight back from the waterpump. Also, you shouldn't have to jack the car up to reach it.

·
SF's Cleanest
7,179 Posts
Be careful, someone on the forums did this mod, and the first time he got on his car he ended up in a ditch. Fortunately there wasn't any damage and he wasn't hurt....

You get my point. Be careful please.I'd hate to see you or your supra hurt :bigok:

·
Registered
605 Posts
Xenon Supra said:
Be careful, someone on the forums did this mod, and the first time he got on his car he ended up in a ditch. Fortunately there wasn't any damage and he wasn't hurt....

You get my point. Be careful please.I'd hate to see you or your supra hurt :bigok:
Huh?

·
EchoDeDupra
4,122 Posts
raises your stock low boost... and also makes the boost hold longer to redline...

after I did this mod... i accidentally overboosted... and fried some spark plugs ;)

but it was fun :bigthumb:

·
Registered
437 Posts
How much does this raise the boost by? What I'm trying to find out is do you have to have a boost controller in order to safely do this mod if your car is stock? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Chris99 said:
How much does this raise the boost by? What I'm trying to find out is do you have to have a boost controller in order to safely do this mod if your car is stock? Thanks.

Spring mod only gives about 2psi... i just did mine.Was at 9psi now at 11 all the way to redline ...

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
I got some pictures of the mod with a better idea to those who havent done this yet and are thinking about doing it. The hardest part was to make a hook in the hole around the waterpump. I had to take out my air filter and then use both hands with 2 sets of pliers one to pull and push through the hole and the other set to grab once its through the hole, then again grab and pull through the hole and grab and pull out some...till i got enough to make a hook around the hole.

Get the lever hook part taken care of, before you deal with the water pimp hole... but then again, now that i think about it, it might have even been easier to make a hook around the waterpump hole and then get plier from the bottom and pull it around the lever on the rod... Id try both ways if you are having a hard time with the water pump hook.

Dont forget unbolt the bottom bolt on the bracket and loosen the top bolt to move it out of the way, you dont have to completely take it off.

hope this helps

I was at 9psi max now im at 11psi all the way to redline with no probs.. we will see how long this last.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
This mod does not raise your boost.What it does is shot the waste gate from opening up under boost and causes boost pressure from bleeding down to where the actuator spring is strong enough to close the waste gate.All this mod do is keep the waste gate close so you can hold high boost.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
jam98tt said:
This mod does not raise your boost.What it does is shot the waste gate from opening up under boost and causes boost pressure from bleeding down to where the actuator spring is strong enough to close the waste gate.All this mod do is keep the waste gate close so you can hold high boost.
did on mine. I was at 9psi, and after mod im at now 11psi This mod keeps the WG closed slightly longer to boost up that extra 2psi

1 - 20 of 71 Posts