Supra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
9 seconds or bust
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Title says it all... Anyone have results get from the new Garrett G42-1200c turbos? Looking to upgrade from the current S369SXE billet setup, want something a bit more responsive.... The G35-1050 would be big enough, but no T4 housings available :(

·
Super Moderator
9,960 Posts
I'd love to see the same results. None yet that I've seen, sadly.

If a G35-1050's sizing would suit it, that'd be worth the flange swap to me. Vband FTW!!!

·
9 seconds or bust
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'd love to see the same results. None yet that I've seen, sadly.

If a G35-1050's sizing would suit it, that'd be worth the flange swap to me. Vband FTW!!!
I love V-Band, but I spent a fortune on this T4 setup.... haha

·
Premium Member
5,351 Posts
The Garrett is bigger than the S369SX-E you have now, so I dont think you will gain responsiveness. Your current turbo has 69mm inducer and the Garrett is 73mm, also the Garrett exhaust wheel is 75mm, and the S369 is 73mm. So it's overall a tad bigger.

·
Super Moderator
9,960 Posts
The Garrett is bigger than the S369SX-E you have now, so I dont think you will gain responsiveness. Your current turbo has 69mm inducer and the Garrett is 73mm, also the Garrett exhaust wheel is 75mm, and the S369 is 73mm. So it's overall a tad bigger.
The S369 is a fantastic turbo for the money, but it is not particularly responsive for its size. On the other hand, the newer Garrett G series stuff is crazy fast to spool for its respective size class and the new DBB cartridges are awesome. I suspect he'd break even at worst, and spool a little faster at best.

If response is truly the end-all objective, I'd look at the EFR's if you have to have something now, or wait it out for suitable T4 adapters or T4 housings to suit the G35-1050. It'd be worth the hassle for your power goals. The G42 would be fantastic if you want to break 1k without breaking a sweat.

·
9 seconds or bust
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The S369 is a fantastic turbo for the money, but it is not particularly responsive for its size. On the other hand, the newer Garrett G series stuff is crazy fast to spool for its respective size class and the new DBB cartridges are awesome. I suspect he'd break even at worst, and spool a little faster at best.

If response is truly the end-all objective, I'd look at the EFR's if you have to have something now, or wait it out for suitable T4 adapters or T4 housings to suit the G35-1050. It'd be worth the hassle for your power goals. The G42 would be fantastic if you want to break 1k without breaking a sweat.
Hmmm yeah, may just wait for a T4 G35......

·
Supporting Vendor
615 Posts
Title says it all... Anyone have results get from the new Garrett G42-1200c turbos? Looking to upgrade from the current S369SXE billet setup, want something a bit more responsive.... The G35-1050 would be big enough, but no T4 housings available :(
How much power are you currently making and how much power are you trying to make?

It would be hard for me to believe that a GT42 framed 75mm Turbine wheel Garrett with a 73mm Garrett would be more responsive than the S369. In our testing the S369 is only 250-300 rpm behind the 6870 which is a very responsive turbo considering it's power potential.

The G42 may be the right turbo for his power goals but if he's looking for more response I don't think Garrett has something that would offer anything that could make the power of a S369 with quicker spool.

·
Super Moderator
9,960 Posts
It would be hard for me to believe that a GT42 framed 75mm Turbine wheel Garrett with a 73mm Garrett would be more responsive than the S369. In our testing the S369 is only 250-300 rpm behind the 6870 which is a very responsive turbo considering it's power potential.

The G42 may be the right turbo for his power goals but if he's looking for more response I don't think Garrett has something that would offer anything that could make the power of a S369 with quicker spool.
I'm very glad to see you chime in here, Geo - if there's anyone that can speak on this, it's you.
While I don't have data on the G42, performance I've seen with G25 and G30 frame stuff seems to indicate that they're spooling faster and making more power than their GTX predecessors.
Have you seen anything live on G35 or G42 frame Garretts on any other engines you guys support? I'd be very interested in your perspective on those, or the G series in general.

·
Supporting Vendor
615 Posts
I'm very glad to see you chime in here, Geo - if there's anyone that can speak on this, it's you.
While I don't have data on the G42, performance I've seen with G25 and G30 frame stuff seems to indicate that they're spooling faster and making more power than their GTX predecessors.
Have you seen anything live on G35 or G42 frame Garretts on any other engines you guys support? I'd be very interested in your perspective on those, or the G series in general.
Unfortunately not but like I said I really want to test it. From what we have tested though they seem to spool slower than the competition. No one can argue the reliability but in this particular post we were talking about response and in my experience that hasn't been their strong suit. I hope the G Series turbo changed that and I can't wait to test!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts