Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
11,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well followup on the other thread...

Anyways, I think I'm gonna try to take my tranny out in my garage and send it away to take it away to a shop or something. It's a lot less complicated then trying to have the car towed and whatnots.

I've never done a tranny removal or anything before and know very little about the drivetrain. Anyone have the pdf manual or anything they can please help me out?

[email protected]

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
I can scan you the pages out of the Toyota Shop manual later tonight if you want...

Really though...with all the stuff been happening lately on your supra...you may wanna bite the bullet and get yourself a set of these Shop manuals. They are well worth the money!!

It's not really difficult to remove the tranny. Having a tranny jack is always best. If you were closer to me i'd let you borrow mine.

You should just need to remove the driveshaft from the rear of the tranny, disconnet the clutch line, possbily remove the starter, and then remove the bolts that bolt through the bellhousing and into the rear of the engine. Not to mention the tranny support bar / bushings.

Those aren't the toyota way for the W58 ( i have yet to remove my trans )...just a few things I have had to do on other transmission I have removed in the past.

Reactions: Smokinsupra95

·
11,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea if you could I'd appreciate it. Is a tranny job something that can even be done in the garage? I have basic tools (can get more tools if needed). I have 4 basic jacks, no lifts (not the ones that raise the car liek 5 feet anyways).

I mean anything will help I guess. I'm 50/50 on trying to do my tranny. It would be a fun time to learn more about the car, but I don't want to totally disassemble it and fuck up.

[email protected]

·
NA-T Member
1,021 Posts
dude, it seems as though everytime you mess with your car, something or another focks up. i would recommend taking it to a shop.

·
Formerly NA-TT
1,267 Posts
Do what WhiteBlaaze said. It is easy. The biggest problem is finding the right length of attachments for the socket to reach the bellhousing bolts. Also, you could do it in the garage with some high, high jack stands, but then you will have to pull the tranny off the tranny jack (remember to plug the driveshaft hole or drain the fluid beforehand or you'll have a mess on the floor).

·
TT This
917 Posts
1. Jack up car atleast 15-18 inches all the way around.

2. Drain tranny fluid

3. Lift up center console piece around the shifter to expose the 4 bolts/screws securing the shifter, take them out, 10 mm bolts. after removing those bolts take out the next set of 4 10 mm bolts that secure the shifter to the tranny.

4. Take out the 3 Bolts that secure the Drive shaft to the Differential. There are six bolts here but you only need to remove 3. Remove the 3 that secure the rubber cushion to the differential. Leave the rubber cushion bolted to the driveshaft. 17mm bolts here.

5. Loosen and remove the bolts holding the driveshaft Bearing thing :) or whatever it is in the middle of the driveshaft there. After removing this piece the shaft will be able to be cocked enough to slip it away from the differential and then out of the tranny. 14mm bolts yo.

6. unbolt the slave cylinder (2 12mm bolts) from the tranny.

7. unbolt the starter and swing it outta the way. Leave the electrical connections connected to it just swing it out of the way. 2-12 mm bolts.

8 under the shifter pull back the little rubber booty to expose the 12mm bolt securing the shifter to the shift rod and remove that 12mm bolt. Then jump back into the car and remove the shifter.

9 disconnect all electrical connections from the tranny itself

10. Using as many socket extensions you have in the shop create a long (about 3 feet wirth) of extensions. You will also need a swivel socket adapter to allow the socket to bend about 30 degrees or so to reach that top 17mm bolt on the tranny housing. After you get that one out the others are pretty easy to get to.
Leave the bottom 2 14mm bolts in for now on the bottom of the tranny.

11. Get some sort of jack under the tranny and lightly lift up on the tranny only enough to take it's weight off. Now unbolt the tranny bracket (4 14mm bolts) and remove the 2 remaining 14mm bolts on the housing and the tranny should be free. You may need to slowly lower the jack alittle at a time (like a half inch) and shimmy the tranny out. If you can't get it out you may need to jack up the front of the engine to help point the tranny down for easier removal. I don't need to do this so I don't think you will either.

for install follow the instructs backwards replacing loosen with tighten, unbolt with bolt, disconnect with connect, and don't forget to fill up the tranny. use a 3 foot piece of tubing and feed it down through the shifter hole and into the filler bolt hole. Then you can sit in the car and filler up throught the hose. Much easier than trying to squeeze it in from below somehow. phhewww :bigthumb:

·
Registered
415 Posts
NinetyFiveNA said:
1. Jack up car atleast 15-18 inches all the way around.

2. Drain tranny fluid

3. Lift up center console piece around the shifter to expose the 4 bolts/screws securing the shifter, take them out, 10 mm bolts. after removing those bolts take out the next set of 4 10 mm bolts that secure the shifter to the tranny.

4. Take out the 3 Bolts that secure the Drive shaft to the Differential. There are six bolts here but you only need to remove 3. Remove the 3 that secure the rubber cushion to the differential. Leave the rubber cushion bolted to the driveshaft. 17mm bolts here.

5. Loosen and remove the bolts holding the driveshaft Bearing thing :) or whatever it is in the middle of the driveshaft there. After removing this piece the shaft will be able to be cocked enough to slip it away from the differential and then out of the tranny. 14mm bolts yo.

6. unbolt the slave cylinder (2 12mm bolts) from the tranny.

7. unbolt the starter and swing it outta the way. Leave the electrical connections connected to it just swing it out of the way*. 2-12 mm bolts.

8 under the shifter pull back the little rubber booty to expose the 12mm bolt securing the shifter to the shift rod and remove that 12mm bolt. Then jump back into the car and remove the shifter.

9 disconnect all electrical connections from the tranny itself

10. Using as many socket extensions you have in the shop create a long (about 3 feet wirth) of extensions. You will also need a swivel socket adapter to allow the socket to bend about 30 degrees or so to reach that top 17mm bolt on the tranny housing. After you get that one out the others are pretty easy to get to.
Leave the bottom 2 14mm bolts in for now on the bottom of the tranny.

11. Get some sort of jack under the tranny and lightly lift up on the tranny only enough to take it's weight off. Now unbolt the tranny bracket (4 14mm bolts) and remove the 2 remaining 14mm bolts on the housing and the tranny should be free. You may need to slowly lower the jack alittle at a time (like a half inch) and shimmy the tranny out. If you can't get it out you may need to jack up the front of the engine to help point the tranny down for easier removal. I don't need to do this so I don't think you will either.

for install follow the instructs backwards replacing loosen with tighten, unbolt with bolt, disconnect with connect, and don't forget to fill up the tranny. use a 3 foot piece of tubing and feed it down through the shifter hole and into the filler bolt hole. Then you can sit in the car and filler up throught the hose. Much easier than trying to squeeze it in from below somehow. phhewww :bigthumb:
I'd say that's about right.
Took me quite a while the first time I did it, but I'm certain I'd be able to do it much quicker now.

* Before messing with the starter, I highly recommend throwing the negative terminal off the battery, otherwise you might get a startling surprise.

~Alan

·
Registered
2,561 Posts

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
If you need any of the other pages...let me know

·
ΣΦE Member
1,230 Posts
Wow never thought i would have to bring back this thread but im pulling the tranny to change the clutch. There isnt any other way to change it is there. O well. WhiteBlazze I was the kid "helpin" out with the tranny swap, and I was going to pull my own. What do you think the most difficult part of the process is?

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
LOL....helping.....more like supervising ;)

Hardest part you know is removing the trans safely and re-installing it as well. The 3 bolts near the top that hold the trans to the back of the engine are a pain. The starter is also a bit difficult. There is also getting the supra high enough to get the trans under the car, as well as jacking the engine up a little at an angle ( via the crank pulley ) to get enough space to remove/install the trans.

What clutch are you going to install? Are you getting a kit? Make sure you get a clutch alignment tool with it.

Reactions: Kevin

·
ΣΦE Member
1,230 Posts
White i got the RPS street disk from MVP. I did also get a clutch alignment tool so I should be alright. Thanks for the tips. I'll let you know how it goes. Should I tranny flush while im doing it? Damn i really need repair manuals. If you ever decide to sell them let me know. Thanks!

Donald

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
Yea....if your gonna be removing / re-installing the trans, you might as well drain the old fluid and refill it with some good Mobil 1 gear oil

·
BoostAddict4Life
2,012 Posts
oh iv already removed my tranny 3 times now, it wasnt broken those 3 times but w/e.

lol man why do i have to be your gunny pig.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts