Supra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm at Bpu +. On the tires i got with the car, yokohamas or something like that (not sure of the exact make) as the second turbo comes online in first and second gear, my car seems to "fishtale" a little if i don't ease off the gas. Is that normal for all that torque??? And if it is, in a race should you change gears or ride it? But with my Nitto drag radials 555R's my car doesn't fishtale, it just seems like they skid along. This is just regular driving on the street, no burning out or heating up the tires prior to the acceleration. What tires do you all reccommend for everyday driving in all weather conditions?

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Get different tires. From what I hear the AVS Sports or whatever other kind of Yokohama you have aren't good for traction at all.

I've got Michelin Pilot MXX3's and there great. 285's in the rear, 245's up front.

Whenever you increase the power it gets tricky to put it all down to the pavement without causing tremendous wheelspin, hop, and fishtailing.

At least those have been my experiences.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Elude, so what you're saying is that when the second turbo comes online you can't get any traction? So what do you do if you're in a race, do you hold down on the throttle or ease up on the throttle to give it a chance to get traction or do you change gears? But at high speeds like a 75+ is traction still a problem for you?

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I used to have the same problem. When the 2nd turbo kicked on my tires would break loose and the back end would get squirrely. I just got done putting on Nitto's all the way around, 275's in the back. No more traction problem!

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Mine does the same thing sometimes... however, I personally kinda like it.. (when im not in a race with a fast ass car).. no matter what I never let off the throttle though, it will kick out for just a split second and hook up just fine and continue pulling like a mofo... I just have some cheap Kuhmo Ecstas's on the back though, stock width..

Ill go with something else when I get my wheels next spring.

·
Registered
157 Posts
mkivcl94 I'm at Bpu +. On the tires i got with the car, yokohamas or something like that (not sure of the exact make) as the second turbo comes online in first and second gear, my car seems to "fishtale" a little if i don't ease off the gas. Is that normal for all that torque??? And if it is, in a race should you change gears or ride it? But with my Nitto drag radials 555R's my car doesn't fishtale, it just seems like they skid along. This is just regular driving on the street, no burning out or heating up the tires prior to the acceleration. What tires do you all reccommend for everyday driving in all weather conditions?
I have the Yokohama AVS and it handles like shit. Next time I will go with something else.:D

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the input! Picturemerollin, the Nitto tires you put on, are the just the 555's. Or did you put on the 555R in the rear 275's. I was thinking about going 555's all around, cuz I already have an extra set of the 555R's for the track. Yes, my Yokohamas are not good for traction at all, but they came with the car. Next year I'll probably get new tires all around. Nitto's.

Thanks.

·
King of the NA-T's
4,044 Posts
The cold weather in Minnesota also adds to the traction problem. We had a supra meet in Minneapolis last weekend, what part of Minnesota are you from?

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
DaveH, I'm from Saint Paul. Did we meet at Midway? your 13 sec car sounds very familiar.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
mkivcl94, I put on 555's all the way around and I'm very happy with them!

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
The colder it gets the less traction you will have;) I have gotten sideways at the top of 3rd on a hwy:D It was actually really fun!:D
Jeff

1 - 11 of 11 Posts