Supra Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Anyone heading to Irwindale speedway tomorrow?

Are there anyone heading to Irwindale speedway tomorrow?

It will be my first time at a drag stip. I have a few questions.

What the the things I should look out for. Is this a fast track? It would be quite hot tomorrow.

Do you launch the car any differently than on street? I am on street tires. Are you allowed to practice a few launchs and get comfortable with the track? Do you get significantly more traction at the strip than on street?

Since it is a 1/8 mile event, it is possible to convert the time and trap speed and get a rough 1/4 mile estimate. Obviously I have a slow ass car (350rwhp) compare to Supra, but it be nice to know what it is capable of. I would like to get most out of it.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Sadly no one gave me a single tip for a first timer :sadwavey: , no Supras friends showed up. I did learn little by little today through trial and error.

I did made it to the track today. I did terrible due to no prior experience and no traction 1st and 2nd gear with 245/40/17 rear street tires. I did improve my time after every single run until I got kicked out due the track rule that all cars ran 8.5sec or less require helmet, I didn't have one.

My set up are:
92 NSX, 3/4tank full of gas, Comptech Supercharger, crappy 5spd stock gearing, 35psi tire pressure, 80~95degree, Toyo T1S 245/40/17 rear tires with 25% thread left, Taitec GT Lightweight exhaust, Cantrell AIS, Uni Filter.

This is a 1/8 mile track. Where stock 5spd is at huge disadvantage due to tall gearing. It got a ton of top end, but by the time you are there it is over. I really need short gears.

Best run was 8.217sec (approximately 12.5~12.7sec 1/4 mile using the X 1.55 formula). In capable hands, she should do 7.9XXsec all day long.

Compare to AJKS's ultra lightweight NA2 NSX 1/4mile run and a few others, I think the estimate is very accurate, should have significantly lower time, since the Supercharger have a lot more top end HP than heavily modified NA.

AJKS's time:
1.989 60 ft
8.304 @86.71 1/8
12.85 @107.92 1/4
http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showpost.php?p=158641&postcount=1

Probably one of the top 3 street tire time today for any car. The word from the announcers was "he got a good time and he didn't even launch". That is exactly true, I launched off idle. Couldn't get good tractions on the earlier runs, I span 1st and 2nd gears, I actually got better time launching off idle.

A 996 TT did 9 sec at the track today, Corvette C6s on street tires ran 8.5s

My time:
Reaction time .741
60' 2.008
330 5.462
MPH 87.8
1/8 8.217
-----------------------------------------------------------
My other runs were 8.5s.

Most cars at the track were running slicks, very few car ran street tires.

This 996 TT was running 9sec

Corvette C6 consistent 8.5secs

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
106 Posts
Nice pictures bro. I'm assuming you were the only NSX at the races....Unless you're hating on the other ones and didn't take any pictures of them! Ha, Ha.

How hot was it that day? I used to hate dragging my Supra on hot-ass days.
The cars just don't run the same.

Later,

Eddie

·
OG
754 Posts
how many runs did you get in one night?

is it like fontana where its super crowded?

also do you know whats the quickest/fastest you can run before they kick you off?

thanks

·
Under Construction
761 Posts
just FYI I have gotten 12.3-12.4 @ 117-118mph in 1/4 with that same 1/8 mile et. My 1/8 mph was 92-93 mph.
If your car is pulling hard up top you may get a low to mid 12.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Team Toyota said:
how many runs did you get in one night?

is it like fontana where its super crowded?

also do you know whats the quickest/fastest you can run before they kick you off?

thanks
I got 5 runs, they opened at 4pm. It was very hot early in the day though. It only took around 10~15 minute wait in between the runs early on.

It wasn't crowded until the weather cooled down, then everyone started to showed up, I waited in line for over an hour before my final run.

As long as you have a helmet, there is proably no limit. There were some hot rods and race bikes that ran trapped 130~140mph+, ran 5s

·
MyNuttz
874 Posts
hey j,

sorry I didn't see this post until today....I had some problems getting on the site for the past couple of days or I woulda made it out to support you and see your nsx...no supra? I've been to that track with the slow asss n/a. It does get really crowded at night though...I coulda brought you a helmet to use too. oh well....next time

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
supraman78 said:
hey j,

sorry I didn't see this post until today....I had some problems getting on the site for the past couple of days or I woulda made it out to support you and see your nsx...no supra? I've been to that track with the slow asss n/a. It does get really crowded at night though...I coulda brought you a helmet to use too. oh well....next time
Hey Ken,
How have you been?

It is cool man, I had fun at Irwindale and I learned a lot through trial and error. I will go back again next time hopefully improve my time with lower tire pressure next time.

·
MyNuttz
874 Posts
yeah post it up a little earlier in the week and I'll plan on goin. If not in my car on my bike, I could get a friend of mine that usually goes to meet up with as well.

oh yeah, nice pics too

1 - 12 of 12 Posts