Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
im in the process of ordering a gasket set for my other motor so i can reassemble it and i heard that people have used ebay gasket and say they work well.. has anyone used or heard anything about them? this is what i found on ebay let me know which one is better and which is best for the buck. or should i get toyota gasket set ?

NO EBAY LINKS ALLOWED. REMOVED BY MODERATOR.

which one would you suggest for the bang for the bucks

·
Registered
3,727 Posts
i got a full motor gasket set for $140 on ebay and i only rebuilt the top end and everything was there fine except the stock head gasket was bent up but i was gonna use a metal one.

·
slower than a turtle
1,096 Posts
those are fine gasket sets just dont use the head gaskets out of them

or the oil pan cork gasket use fpig

seriously dont even consider it

·
It's only the beginning..
690 Posts
Normally everything in those kits but the head gasket is good.

Based on my experience with three different kits (Two supras)

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
1988SupraDreams said:
Normally everything in those kits but the head gasket is good.

Based on my experience with three different kits (Two supras)
how abou tthe ishino one?

·
Registered
98 Posts
supraguru05 said:
those are fine gasket sets just dont use the head gaskets out of them

or the oil pan cork gasket use fpig

seriously dont even consider it

What is fpig? I was going to use a cork gasket but it looks shabby

·
Dr. Jeff Lange
9,352 Posts
Never use the cork gasket. FIPG is form in place gasket. Basically it's a tube of form-a-gasket. Can be had from Toyota or your local parts store.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
I'm using the Ebay hg. lol. Works fine here. It's identical to the OEM hg... maybe some of the metals used in the hg might not be pure, but heck it's held up to 14 psi... so you can't really complain.

·
It's only the beginning..
690 Posts
Yeah my bud is using an Ebay HG, but I don't think its gonna last too long. No experience with the ishino kit

·
92 TURBO
1,008 Posts
IIRC, Ishino is the OEM supplier for the Toyota gasket set. It is a very good set, much better than the Fel-pro. Like the Toyota gasket set, the Ishino is year and GE or GTE specific so you have all the correct gaskets with no leftovers.

Like Jeff said, Never use the cork oil pan gasket, just throw it away!. Use Toyota seal packaging 102 (FIPG) part # 00295-00103. < it's what is recommended in the TSRM but this is the new/updated part #. It's got to be the best FIPG [ Form In Place Gasket] I've ever used. I use it on everything now, even my Acura/Hondas.
It says right on the box: " For oil pan/ camshaft housing". I also used it at the block to front [email protected] top seam. It's easy to work with and sets up in an hour.
Mike

·
Registered
221 Posts
Well, after selling auto parts for 11+ years, I only use OEM gaskets and "The Right Stuff".. I've had a can of the right stuff for 2 years and it still works great out of the can (applies out of a can like e-z cheese). I've used several gasket sets and done a quite a few motors over the years, import and domestic, using rol, fel-pro, detroit gasket, etc, and had much better results and more complete sets with the OEM stuff, not to mention i've had better luck with a lot of OEM stuff compared to aftermarket oem replacements (sensors, bearings, suspension components, etc). That's just my .02.

·
2JZ Mk2
1,183 Posts
SupraMikeCT said:
IIRC, Ishino is the OEM supplier for the Toyota gasket set. It is a very good set, much better than the Fel-pro. .....
The Ishino is definetly not the Toyota one. The oil seals are different and don't fit as good as Toyota. Buy the Toyota set if you want quality.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
SilverMk2 said:
The Ishino is definetly not the Toyota one. The oil seals are different and don't fit as good as Toyota. Buy the Toyota set if you want quality.
local toyota quoted me 480 bucks and jay mark quoted me 307 im still debating....

·
92 TURBO
1,008 Posts
I10O0I1 said:
local toyota quoted me 480 bucks and jay mark quoted me 307 im still debating....

I paid $260 for my Toyota gasket kit back in April 05. It had a list price of $454. P/n 04111-42023 for a 92GTE. I had No left over gaskets/seals.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
SupraMikeCT said:
I paid $260 for my Toyota gasket kit back in April 05. It had a list price of $454. P/n 04111-42023 for a 92GTE. I had No left over gaskets/seals.
do u remember where u got it at???

1 - 20 of 23 Posts