Supra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
700HP no problem so far. Tomei LSD. Engine is going through a full rebuild and new electrical/ECU, so shooting for 900+. Transmission is good for 1000TQ, but I doubt I am going to go that high.

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
The question is: are you talking about an automatic or manual? Automatic, no problem. Manual, not so sure the smaller 200mm diff is adequate.

Toyota deemed it necessary to use a larger 220mm diff for the 6 spd - at only 320 HP. I think with a 6 spd, you might be fine driving it on the street with the smaller 200mm diff, but not a chance I would drag race it or even use sticky tires on the street with it. A clutch drop is much harder on a diff than an automatic launch with the drivetrain pre-loaded.

Al

607 Posts
Toyota created a R220 3.26 differential. It's what the JDM TT's use and what I have.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Toyota deemed it necessary to use a larger 220mm diff for the 6 spd - at only 320 HP.

Al
Al, I've always wondered what Toyota was thinking, staring at the guts of the Mk4. Don't get me wrong, there are a LOT of little, smart things that you pick up on if you've run into issues in the past, that the Mk4 is very much a "I wish they did that on all cars" sort of design.

How much extra oomph were they thinking would be put into the car? All these things that make the car so durable and tough can't have been a mistake or miscalculation, which leads to my source of wondering:

How much power was TOYOTA planning on making with this car? They didn't use the 2jz for JGTC, so... who was all this bulletproof thinking for the benefit of?

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
Automakers to a certain extent have been doing similar things for years. Here's an example from back in the muscle car era: a 69 Plymouth GTX with a big block motor - the automatic came with an 8 3/4 rear, where the 4 spd version came with a beefier dana rear.

Manual transmissions have always been known to be harder on a rearend.

Al

1 - 7 of 7 Posts