Supra Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
RoastBeefCurtain Commando
6,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anything people can tell me they are known for breaking wise? I have a 98 Im looking to upgrade to an 03 Eddie Bauer Ed. The thing is mint, but as an american vehicle there is always a down side eventually.

Any downsides other then gas mileage? Im used to it with mine now, so no real big with that

·
turbo interceptor
351 Posts
Northof49 said:
That's exactly what I was thinking.
I know two people with 97-99 Explorer sports. The one guy had the transmission go at around 42k only to replace another one at around 70k. The other guy had the motor go on him at around 85k. So thats 2 for 2 in terrible experiences.

·
6,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
See alot of people say that, but Im at 147k miles and havent put a single penny into my current Explorer.

·
Never narc'd on nobody
3,246 Posts
You are the exeption rather than the rule , because the examples we had traded in at the dealership always had a grocery list of problems, in addition to being a sloppy vehicle in the first place. But if it's treated you well, can't argue with that.

·
6,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hmmmm, I didnt think they were all that bad. Well its either purchase an 03 Eddie or Lease an 06 Pathfinder. I hate to lease, but cant afford another $600-700 a month payment to buy one

Any other good SUV's out there to be looking at with 3rd row seating?

·
Registered
702 Posts
the 02-05 explorer is actually pretty reliable. some of the early 02 models had transmission issues, but other than that, no problems.
if it has the 4.0l that engine is like a rock. even the 4.6 is very reliable. the transmissions for 02+ are maintanence free and don't require service for the first 100000miles and i've seen very few with problems.

·
King of the Jungle
1,265 Posts
I drove an '02 fully loaded V8 Exploder across the U.S. one summer. Idaho to Florida, Florida to NYC and back, Orlando to Key West and back, and then Florida to New Orleans and back. Got great gas mileage the whole way, interior was comfy and acceptable for a mass market SUV. But:

1.) Bolts in door hinges up front would come loose after some time. We were giving it a LOT of exercise so I am sure some lok-tite would probably solve this problem but obviously something else was causing them to come loose than simply opening/closing the door hahaha.

2.) The CD player would overheat and not work for 30 minutes at a time. This seems to be the case with ALL Ford 6-disc in dash players. They are a joke mostly.

3.) It was bought by my friend's dad for about twice as much as it was worth at the end of the summer. Of course, what you will be paying for an '03 now being almost the '07 MY, this depreciation has already been seen. And most of the longevity problems Fords are known for have also began to ripen. But the 4.6 in my 2000 Mustang GT never skipped a beat for all of the stunts we pulled with it at over 60k miles at my friend's airport. I'd say you're safe.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I would get the pathfinder if I was you. I rented an explorer, it was pretty crappy. Interior parts were falling off, had no guts, sucked gas, and felt like it was going to tip.

·
6,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
the difference between the buy to lease sucks though. I get scared to lease cars.
Some of the lower model Explorers and Pathfinders for that matter were cheap interiors. The fully loaded models deff seemed to be a little heavier duty.
Yea this one has the 4.6. I have the 4.0 SOHC now and its a damn rock. Wait thats Chevy's terms. lol

The Pathfinder would be nice, but again , not owning it and watching miles sucks and then I need to get the tip top model to be happy.
But I can lease for 39 months for the same payment as buying the Explorer for 60 months.
Its a toss up

·
Registered
702 Posts
i sold cars and this is what i would tell my clients. If you only keep your cars for a few years, lease. its less of a headache and u don't have to worry about depreciation.
If you keep ur cars for than 4 years, purchase. its more expensive to buy out ur vehicle at the end of the lease.

·
6,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I dont keep cars long at all. I usually keep them like 3 years or so these days. But I wouldnt mind keeping one longer I guess. lol.
Its always a damn toss up.
Consumer reports for Pathfinders are so so too.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts