Supra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just picked up one of these used and needed some help tuning. No instructions with the unit. Anybody know where I can get some and advice on tuning please point me in the right direction. TIA

·
Supra OG
1,002 Posts
Sorry Supralative.. I forgot to answer your email earlier.

As for how to use.... you have one big main button on the left. You "double-click" it like a mouse to switch between monitor and setting mode.

Monitor mode: there are 3 monitor modes. rpm, g-tech, and speed. i leave it on rpm generally.. you switch modes by holding the big left button for a second till it beeps. the little light to the right of the button tells you which mode you're in.. 0-400m, rpm, or speed meter, ordered from top to bottom.

Double-click on the button and you're in setting mode. here you'll see it give you a number, a space, and two more digits. the first number is the thousands of RPM's you're closest to right now (i.e. 2300RPM would show a 2), and the number on the right is the amount of correction currently being applied (i.e. 4, with an up arrow is +4%, or 3 with a down arrow, is -3%).

In setting mode, you first select a fuel map (maps 1, 2, and 3 left to right on the 3 little bulbs... ) pick a fuel map and run with it, i use all 3 for different things but if you're only gonna tune for the street, just use map 1 and that will be fine. you select a fuel map by holding the button down for a second. now that you're on map 1, click the button once and it goes to the 2000RPM setting. click it again to scroll through RPMs 2k, 3k, 4k, 5k, 6k, 7k, and 8k. At each RPM setting, you can use the up and down arrow buttons on the right side to richen or lean the fuel at that RPM range. If you wait more than 5 seconds at any RPM range it goes back to just showing you the RPM you're at..

Then double-click when you're done to go back to tachometer mode.

Makse sure to dyno tune on a dyno with a wideband o2 sensor.. tyne to about 11:1 IMHO since the cars tend to run slightly leaner with the higher loading on the street.

Here are the dip-switch settings:

Left Bank
1 down
2-8 up

Right Bank
1 up
2 down
3 up
4 down

Hope this helps,
Andi

·
King of the NA-T's
4,044 Posts
I just got one of these also, and i'm putting it in my na-t, which uses a KV type AFM, which sends the ECU a frequency signal. Anyone know if the SFC will modify this frequency signal? The instuctions only show dip switch settings for increasing voltage or decreasing voltage.... I don't see a setting for frequency. Thanks in advance.

·
Supra OG
1,002 Posts
DaveH said:
I just got one of these also, and i'm putting it in my na-t, which uses a KV type AFM, which sends the ECU a frequency signal. Anyone know if the SFC will modify this frequency signal? The instuctions only show dip switch settings for increasing voltage or decreasing voltage.... I don't see a setting for frequency. Thanks in advance.
Dave,

I'm not even sure hte SFC-R will work on your car. :rolleyes: IIRC it only works on voltage, either rising-voltage MAFs or dropping-voltage MAFs. I'll try to find my SFC manual and look this up for you. Sorry to be the bearrer of possibly bad news.

Andi

·
Supra OG
1,002 Posts
Dave,

According to the SFC-R user's guide, there are only two dip switches relating to the type of MAF being used. Dip switch 3 is how many MAFs to control (one=upper, two=lower), and dip switch 4 is what type of air volume sensor it is (voltage rising type = upper, voltage decreasing type = lower). Dip switches 1-2 on the left bank are just # of cylinders, and 5-8 are for speed limiter removal etc on some cars (leave them up to not use the function).

The right bank.. #1 is whether to invoke the speed limiter removal (upper = normal, lower=invoked), #2 is fuel adjustment rance (10% upper, 30% lower). #3-4 is setting of the speed pulse (use 3 up 4 down).

Unfortunately judging by this it looks like it won't work on your car. Unless you can think of a Jap-spec car that uses a Karmann type MAF like yours, because I have a chart for all Japanese market cars for installation procedures. FYI for the JZA80 2JZGE it says to install it the same as for a 2JZGTE but with dip switches 6 and 8 up (again only for boost/speed cut). But these directions show that you're installing the unit on wire #62, the pressure sensor not the MAF sensor, so they're just confused are probably referring to the Jap-market Supras that don't have MAFs.

BTW, Son you asked for install instructions... here you go... I scanned in the sheet from the instruction manual... but please red to the end before looking at it.. the install manual is correct on everything EXCEPT THE MOST IMPORTANT WIRE. The diagram is made for the Euro-spec Supra that uses wire 62 (turbo pressure sensor) to figure out how much fuel to put in. This is the wire you put the BCC on. On the US-Spec Supra, you do the install on wire # 66 instead (which is the mass air sensor wire). I'll post a pic of the terminals of ECU page as well so you see what I'm talking about..

Hope this helps,
Andi

·
King of the NA-T's
4,044 Posts
Thanks a million Andi.... unfortunately you confirmed my suspicion. :( Anyone need a Fields SFC Hyper R new in the box? $210 shipped.

A

·
0 Posts
May there be something wrong with my fuel system?
Tuned on the dyno, I had to RICHEN the SFC by as much as 7% at some RPMs to get better power and not run too lean....???

I thought the supra runns rich to begin with.

Thanks
-Nick

1 - 8 of 8 Posts