Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
11,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm seriously considering getting this wideband. I was looking at a .log file and it was user friendly as hell to use. Anyways I was reading the description over at MVP, and it said that with the stage 2 kit (with rpm adapter), I can log up to 4 other things; fuel duty cycle, egt, tps.

Now it may seem dumb, but how do I actually hook these up so the LM1 can datalog it? Also, would it be possible for this thing to log boost (I have an electronic GReddy boost gauge)?

·
Registered
471 Posts
I'm looking at this kit as well , and I have been curious about the same boosting question. I was reading the MVP site as well and I read that the type 3 can log boost. . . I think. Correct me if I am wrong.

AC

·
Registered
3,623 Posts
To log 6 sensors you need this Accessory:

"a user can log 6 channels, in multiple sessions, for up to 44 minutes. Then, back at the garage, simply connect the LM-1 to you PC and view all of you log data"

"The 5 internal sensors are intended for capturing Manifold Air Pressure (MAP or Boost), Cylinder Head Temperature (CHT) or Exhaust Gas Temperature (EGT), RPM conversion (from a tach signal or inductive clamp), Acceleration, and Injector Duty Cycle (or Dwell). The internal MAP sensor is a 3-bar absolute pressure sensor, providing accurate data up to 44.1 PSIA. "

AuxBox (LMA-3) - #3742
RPM Converter (LMA-2) -#3726

·
11,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
cwtt said:
To log 6 sensors you need this Accessory:

"a user can log 6 channels, in multiple sessions, for up to 44 minutes. Then, back at the garage, simply connect the LM-1 to you PC and view all of you log data"

"The 5 internal sensors are intended for capturing Manifold Air Pressure (MAP or Boost), Cylinder Head Temperature (CHT) or Exhaust Gas Temperature (EGT), RPM conversion (from a tach signal or inductive clamp), Acceleration, and Injector Duty Cycle (or Dwell). The internal MAP sensor is a 3-bar absolute pressure sensor, providing accurate data up to 44.1 PSIA. "

AuxBox (LMA-3) - #3742
RPM Converter (LMA-2) -#3726

Well can't the same thing be achieved with the RPM adapter, but you can only log 3-4 things? That's not the question I'm asking though. I'm asking, HOW do you get it to log?

Take example, to log rpm, you just tape the wire into pin58 (rpm wire I think).

·
Registered
3,623 Posts
michaelvanle said:
Well can't the same thing be achieved with the RPM adapter, but you can only log 3-4 things? That's not the question I'm asking though. I'm asking, HOW do you get it to log?

Take example, to log rpm, you just tape the wire into pin58 (rpm wire I think).

Hmm do you mean this peice?

RPM Converter (LMA-2) - #3726

The LMA-2 expands the LM-1 aux. input connector to 6 wire terminals (5 auxiliary inputs & 1 ground).

·
2jz powered
1,658 Posts
to log boost on the rpm converter, you just need a GM map sensor. as far as logging other information like rpm, i believe you tap the tps. check out the forums on the innovative site, you should find all your answers there.

·
King of the NA-T's
4,044 Posts
Yes, you just tie into the wires for the specific sensors that you want to log.

·
11,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
DaveH said:
Yes, you just tie into the wires for the specific sensors that you want to log.
So let's say I want to log throttle %, would I just tap one of the wires from the LMA-2 to pinxxx (whatever the tps is). Then it'll automatically logs it? Let's say I have the wire tapped into channel 3. On the LM1 unit, would I have to tell it that channel 3 is logging tps, or will it automatically pick it up?

·
2jz powered
1,658 Posts
it will pick up the voltage. so say you want to log throttle %, you will have to set up the proper throttle % / volts in the LM programer (which is included of course). you have to set up the proper value/vlots for anything you decide to log or it will just show you the raw voltage data.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Yeah, make sure the things you want to log have voltage table information somewhere in their instructions, producer website or tech line. Otherwise you will have to watch voltage and try to figure out what voltage corresponds to what value.

·
11,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
VeilsideTT said:
Yeah, make sure the things you want to log have voltage table information somewhere in their instructions, producer website or tech line. Otherwise you will have to watch voltage and try to figure out what voltage corresponds to what value.
Then will I have to calculate the rpm voltage too if I want to log rpm? If so, what do I do?

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
I think the RPM converter does the job itself or at least is very easy to set up in the software.

·
Registered
471 Posts
this unit seems kinds confusing to set up... I thought that it was user friendly?? So the unit figures out all of the values by voltage? as for boost, can we hook it up to a vpc to figure out the psi or do we have to have the GM sensor?

AC

·
TH400 Club
809 Posts
I also have been eyeballing this kit for awhile and I will buy it this summer. When I first started thinking about it I read a lot on the forums. The owner/creator of this wideband kit anwsers every question personaly and makes me more comfortable with him always being there for us. If you look at the forum this question has been asked before. So go hang around on there for a few days and you will buy this product.

http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/forums/

*edit* I see that you made a post before I posted. I should have checked first. Glad you are on the right track.

·
11,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Willjs7 said:
I also have been eyeballing this kit for awhile and I will buy it this summer. When I first started thinking about it I read a lot on the forums. The owner/creator of this wideband kit anwsers every question personaly and makes me more comfortable with him always being there for us. If you look at the forum this question has been asked before. So go hang around on there for a few days and you will buy this product.

http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/forums/

*edit* I see that you made a post before I posted. I should have checked first. Glad you are on the right track.

I already bought it lol. Now I need to know how to log other stuff. I think you just run a wire to it (i.e. tps). But the problem is I need to know the voltage and stuff to log it.

i.e. 0volt = 0% throttle
3.45volts = 65% throttle

I need to be able to tell the LM1 unit what each volt means so it can translate and log it.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
michaelvanle said:
I already bought it lol. Now I need to know how to log other stuff. I think you just run a wire to it (i.e. tps). But the problem is I need to know the voltage and stuff to log it.

i.e. 0volt = 0% throttle
3.45volts = 65% throttle

I need to be able to tell the LM1 unit what each volt means so it can translate and log it.
I just got the same unit. So when you figure out the voltage settings and where to tap into, please share your findings with all of us. I know I will greatly appreciate it. Thanks ahead of time! :)

·
11,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I answered this question in another thread. I think HotSoup was the one that asked me EVERYTHING about the kit's settings. I answered it all for him.

As far as I remember, here's the setting for throttle %.

.065volts = 0% throttle
4.015volts = 100% throttle

It varies from car to car, but it's good enough for you to get an idea when you datalog so you know which section is WOT.

As for the RPM, just use the setting they already have. I'm sorry, but I don't have the kit anymore, nor the software as my computer crashed and I had to reformat. PM HotSoup. I gave him all of my settings.

·
11,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
To tap the signal, you just basically tap a wire to the pin and the other end to the RPM unit. Like RPM wire is E9 58. You run one end of a wire to E9 58 and the other to #1 of the RPM unit.

Here's the other thread. I think I talked to him afterwards on PMs so some details aren't publicly posted. Again, pm him for further help.

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=286344&highlight=innovate

·
Registered
139 Posts
ok

To get RPMS logged you have to tap into the tach signal wire, or they have a inductive pickup like used for a timeing light you can put on your first plug wire.I had the LM1 and RPM converter on my 93 RX7 for awhile.Could not get the converter to read under load.When I downloaded the run and played it back, the readings would go up and down under boost.While cruising and idle the reading did fine.I tired everything that there tech guys told me to do, but It didn't work, so I sent the RPM converter back, they refunded my money.They claimed that there was too much noise being produced in the ignition system for the RPM converter to work properly.Will it work on a MKIV, I don't know. To read from the various sensors, or to be able to log from them, is possible but not all that easy.It will take alot of time and some phone calls to get the results you expect.It just uses the voltage output from the sensors to convert into the graphs and logs that get downloaded.That said, I know that there are some sharp guys out there, and the quality of the LM1 is top notch, so I know you can get it to do whatever you want, just don't expect not to have to put some time into making it work properly.They can answer alot of questions you may have by links off of there website.Good luck, and if anybody is logging multiple sensors, let the rest of us know how it works out.Its a great tool, we just have to figure out how to use it!

Philip 94TT

·
Sooooooo JDM
1,221 Posts
Philip martin said:
To get RPMS logged you have to tap into the tach signal wire, or they have a inductive pickup like used for a timeing light you can put on your first plug wire.I had the LM1 and RPM converter on my 93 RX7 for awhile.Could not get the converter to read under load.When I downloaded the run and played it back, the readings would go up and down under boost.While cruising and idle the reading did fine.I tired everything that there tech guys told me to do, but It didn't work, so I sent the RPM converter back, they refunded my money.They claimed that there was too much noise being produced in the ignition system for the RPM converter to work properly.Will it work on a MKIV, I don't know. To read from the various sensors, or to be able to log from them, is possible but not all that easy.It will take alot of time and some phone calls to get the results you expect.It just uses the voltage output from the sensors to convert into the graphs and logs that get downloaded.That said, I know that there are some sharp guys out there, and the quality of the LM1 is top notch, so I know you can get it to do whatever you want, just don't expect not to have to put some time into making it work properly.They can answer alot of questions you may have by links off of there website.Good luck, and if anybody is logging multiple sensors, let the rest of us know how it works out.Its a great tool, we just have to figure out how to use it!

Philip 94TT
It will work on a MKIV, I just hooked one up for a customer today. No inductive pickup needed, just tap the IGF wire. If you have a VPC, it's the white wire. Then press the setup button, take it over 2K for a few seconds and it's done. The logging software BLOWS, IMHO, but hey...I've been accused of pimping the AEM :). You can log different channels, you just would need to correlate the voltage to it's actual value in the software. It's easy enough to do if you have a meter and know where/how to look. For the VPC press. sensor, I don't see why it wouldn't work if you tapped it. It's a 3 bar sensor. I'll probably give it a shot tomorrow as the car is "stuck" here awaiting a new lower rad hose.

Ryan

1 - 20 of 23 Posts