Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't have a spare sawblade for my Supra - was missing when I bought it. Was thinking of getting a lighter and more compact space saver from another vehicle that will fit as I hardly drive it out of town. Anyone already done this?

Thanks.

·
Registered
491 Posts
The stock spare is slightly smaller width and the wheel is steel - it was not a sawblade. From a fuzzy memory, it's a 205/55-16 tire. With an LSD, the spare tire must have the same diameter as the normal tires.

The original tire was speed-limited. Some long time ago I bought a real tire on closeout sale. It was cheap partly because they had just one and who wants just one tire? Me! My original spare tire was badly cupped and damaged.

Finding the right wheel may be tough with the right bolt spacing, center hole, and lug nut features. The holes for the lug nuts are tapered because our lug nuts have tapered noses. I can post photos tonight after I get home. Of course, you can carry spare lug nuts just for the spare.

Found it! Yes, 205/55R16 on a 16x7JJ wheel. The line drawing looks pretty good. I don't think the spare wheel is available anymore.

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, I was hoping someone had the same desire as me - a lighter spare with room for some storage. At U-Pull yards they don't even bother to pull these as they have zero value and they sell them for $12. So if someone knew a reference where a vehicle with our lug/hub pattern was the same and uses a mini-spare, I'll snag one.

Good point on the LSD as I installed one when I restored mine. So if it's a rear flat I"ll have to have a Chinese fire drill with tires to end up with the mini spare up front to limp home with.

·
Registered
491 Posts
It should not be hard to find a cheap steel wheel with the right 5x114.3 bolt pattern. Finding one with that and the right 59mm (IIRC) hub hole surely is harder. However, if you just want to limp home, the hub hole may not matter as much. Just carry lug nuts that'll work with the spare.

Times, they have changed. The spare in many VWs today is folded and not inflated, so they include an air pump to inflate the spare. It's truly a space-saving spare tire. However, that is a way better idea than running the windshield washer off the spare tire, like the mid-70s Beetles. I learned quickly to refill the spare tire every time I bought gas. :rolleyes:

·
90T
1,316 Posts
I like that folded and flat idea. My tesla has no spare, and no where to put one anyway that wouldn't be a hassle. In the late 60's AMC used a spare that was inflated with a CO2 cartridge. Once used you had to go to the dealer to get a new cartridge.

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Locking hubs Motor vehicle
Product Publication Rectangle Font Material property

·
Registered
1991 turbo, 2JZ-GE VVT-i NA-T
31 Posts
I'm curious about a new spare as well but for a larger wheel diameter that'd clear the MB front brake kit. I imagine a 17 would work, I thought about an Evo spare but those are subject to Evo tax.

·
90T
1,316 Posts
I'm curious about a new spare as well but for a larger wheel diameter that'd clear the MB front brake kit. I imagine a 17 would work, I thought about an Evo spare but those are subject to Evo tax.
any 94+ mustang has the 114.3 x 5 bolt pattern and there's gazillions of 17 and 18 spares in the junkyards. Don't know about the hub diameter though.

·
Super Moderator
11,055 Posts
I thought the center bore on our cars was 60.1 if it matters to anyone.

Anyway, I've been told, but never confirmed, that the Lexus IS-F spare works on the MKIV Supra for this purpose. I'm ashamed to say that, even though I have one, I've never taken a look at the spare. I'll do that the next time I go to storage because, if it can work on the MKIV, it may work on the MKIII and accommodate BBKs as well (OEM 6/4 piston set-up on 19-inch factory wheels.

Not a lot of these cars were sold, but it's worth it to see if we have another source for space saver spares. The Lexus SC 300/400 twins could be another potential source as well (assuming they have space saver spares).

Ken.

Reactions: traingeek2000

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Great call - thanks, Ken. Bruce I will be a while before coming down, so if another use develops, drop me like a hot potato. If I can make it work in the next few months, I'll reach out to let you know that. What community are you? I'll ask my brother in law if he'd be willing to swing by and pick it up and hang onto it for me.

·
Registered
Toyota Supra Turbo 7M-GTE with R154 5-speed
598 Posts
Great call - thanks, Ken. Bruce I will be a while before coming down, so if another use develops, drop me like a hot potato. If I can make it work in the next few months, I'll reach out to let you know that. What community are you? I'll ask my brother in law if he'd be willing to swing by and pick it up and hang onto it for me.
I'm in Tierrasanta and my garage is in the College Area on El Cajon Blvd.

·
Registered
Toyota Supra Turbo 7M-GTE with R154 5-speed
598 Posts
I'm in Tierrasanta and my garage is in the College Area on El Cajon Blvd.

·
Super Moderator
11,055 Posts
IS350 wheels are a direct bolt on to the mk3. Proof:

View attachment 274032
Indeed, those wheels are from the 2006-2013 IS 350 with the sport package, IIRC. Wifey had a 2007 back in the day with those exact wheels.

Lexus sold thousands and thousands of these cars (also IS 250) over its 7-year life span, so plenty should be available for guys like us.

Ken.

·
Super Moderator
12,125 Posts
The spare tire for many 2011+ Mustang GT's with the Brembo brakes is a 155/60/18 on a decent lightweight cast alloy 18x4.5 wheel (yes its skinny). Tire height ends up being 25.4in give or take which matches close enough with most of our aftermarket 17-18in tire choices and the wheel design clears a lot of BBK's as well. Bolt pattern is 5x114.3 of course, Ford's centerbore is slightly larger at 70.5mm

Reactions: 3p141592654
1 - 20 of 32 Posts