Supra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My motor is on it's last legs due to rod knock and I've been running straight 60W. My oil pressure has started dropping which is expected. I try to shift at 2k or 2.5k to keep the stress low on the motor to extend it's life. It's been like this for the last 2 months and it really sucks.

I need this car to last me another month if possible. I have another motor if I ever get it back from the machine shop (the original motor that developed rod knock). I'd just ride my motorcycle everyday and keep the car for when i need it, but I can't seem to get my bike back from the mechanic because they can't figure out how to jet it correctly.

·
A Happy Dad
2,321 Posts
I suppose you could use gear oil but thicker could actually cause the motor to work harder thus accelerating the process

·
Destroyer of Turbos
4,461 Posts
what mdr40z said but the thicker the weight the less lubrication the engine will have @ start up especially with the colder weather. A blend might be the best bet. i dunno if this would help too but that engine restore stuff works wonders for compression but might help w/ lubrication. g luck

·
Registered
234 Posts
I've used 120W gear oil, but not in an engine and it won't flow at low temps. IIRC it was a Kendall product.

·
TheFastCoonAss
6,083 Posts
I would use STP oil treatment, reason being that stuff lubricates and is really sticky and will coat "what's left" of your bearing surfaces. I use it on bearing surfaces when assembling a motor. Don't put any thicker oil in, that will create a whole new set of problems for you.

·
when this baby hits 88mph
2,198 Posts
Rajunz said:
I would use STP oil treatment, reason being that stuff lubricates and is really sticky and will coat "what's left" of your bearing surfaces. I use it on bearing surfaces when assembling a motor. Don't put any thicker oil in, that will create a whole new set of problems for you.
agreed. or there is this stuff called oil extreme that works really well. only problem w/ this kinda stuff is it has a tendency to all stick and clog up oil passages as well.

dave

1 - 9 of 9 Posts