Supra Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey you all, First of all, Im not Local but I will be Moving to Lumberton, NC as I will be retiring from the Army. I could surely use someones help to either get in contact with this guy or atleast have him give me a call in ref to a Turbo that him and his Brother sold me.

A. Bradshaw
7491 Wolvey Rd
Fayetteville, NC 28312

Brother is Derek Bradshaw
Screen Name '90RPS13

Here is the Deal, He was Advertising a Turbo for sale and gave all the Specs stating that this is a T70 Turbo. I will Post his for sale thread. I purchased the Turbo and it was Shipped from the Above address on 26 September. Turbo Arrived to me 13 October is a Beaten up box that the Bottom corner was Busted out of. Once I opened the Box, the only thing that was around the turbo to Protect it was 2 towels. Once I looked the Turbo over I noticed that the Exhaust flange outlet is totally different than any V-Band flange that I have ever seen and the Entire turbo is clock 180 degrees in the wrong Direction. Basically If I mount the Turbo on my T-4 Flange manifold the Turbo Compressor housing will point Directly towards the Hood and the Oil Drain hole flange is on top and not the Bottom. I have emailed Derek Bradshaw and he got all offended and said that this is the way this turbo was mounted to his 2J MK4 supra and he Dynoed 57? at 17 PSI.

As you noticed as soon as I bought this turbo, he removed all the Specs from his for sale post.
http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=607052&highlight=t70

He stayed in contact with me via Email until the turbo reached my door. Once turbo was in hand and I started asking Questions he will not return any of my PMs. Turbo is not a T-70 as Discribed, There is no way n hell this turbo was mounted on a MK4 in the Configuration and all the Exhaust housing Bolts are Rusted to the point I had to use PB Blaster to get all the rust broken. Exhaust housing is sealed Solid (Will not rotate period even with Bolts removed and metal band that holds it secure against the center Sction is rusted into Pieces). This turbo looks to be for a Generator or Industrial engine. I will post Pics in a Bit of the Configuration that the Turbo was Delivered in. Please some of you MKIV guys look at this and tell me if Im correct. If anyone here knows this guy or how to get in contact with the said above person I would really appreciate a PM and I will send you my Number. My car is down and I have a Paper weight. Never been screwed over by a MK4 member as I have High regards to you all.

Pics of compressor housing with Oil return Pipe pointing upwards.

Exhaust Side. Not your Standard 3" V-Band Flange

Robert

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Sorry to hear that. Admins would have access to original thread posts if you needed them.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I would be glad if one of the Admins would recover is original post. What in the Heck am I going to do with this turbo. Is it Salvageable. Is it even a T-70 P-Trim as he discribed? If you look at the way its setup, If I rotate it so the Drain flange is on the Bottom The Compressor outlet will be going towards the hood and the Exhaust housing would have had to mount on the intake side of the car.

·
Registered
6,780 Posts
Im not sure what you mean by the drain is clocked wrong? Why not just reclock it?

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Look at Both Pics. If this was Put on a Supra then the Pipe that you see which is the Oil return line should have been on the bottom of the turbo instead of the top of the turbo. Now saying that, We just got the Exhaust housing off. With all boltss taken out it took about 2 Hours worth of Prying and Using a Sledge to break all the rust that was built up inside the flange where the Exhaust and center section mate up. Had to take a Drimel and clean off all the caked on rust from years of sitting and never being moved.

Now the Drain tube is pointing in the correct direction. Only issue that I have is with this Exhaust housing V-Band. Has anyone ever seen a flange like this one? If so, what type of Clamp and V-Band flange for the Exhaust side should I be looking for. Its not the standard V-Band like I said before.

·
Registered
169 Posts
i would really like to be on your side but you're the one that agreed to buy a rusty old turbo for $600.

clock the housings, cut off that flange and weld a new one on if you need to, and maybe don't buy used parts without seeing detailed pictures or asking detailed questions beforehand next time. i've been in your position before, i have an idea of how you feel but don't hand over the money until you know exactly what you're getting next time is the best way to do it when dealing with used parts. good luck.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Item was said to be in Perfect condition, She sent Photos and they looked decent but there was no Signs of rust. Once It got here andduring the Disassemble trying to get everything in the correct position did we notice all the rust and poor condition of the flanges. Bolts and the stange looking Exhaust housing flange....

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
if u get your money back i have a turbo for sale...and i wont screw u over...hit me up ill help you out..i hate to see people f'ed over...

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ive never been Screwed over by a MK4 member. Always had the Highest Respect as they always take pride in the Parts that they install on there cars. If this Turbo was ever installed on a MK4 then Im sure that it would have been situp correctly and there wouldnt have been rust keeping the flange and everything else for that matter from coming apart.

·
Registered
6,780 Posts
Ive never been Screwed over by a MK4 member. Always had the Highest Respect as they always take pride in the Parts that they install on there cars. If this Turbo was ever installed on a MK4 then Im sure that it would have been situp correctly and there wouldnt have been rust keeping the flange and everything else for that matter from coming apart.
To be honest, it seems as though part of the issue is YOU. I am not taking sides, but I have seen very low milage turbo's that unless you are very familiar with taking them off, they can be a PITA to remove. Thats not to say that the ones I am refering to are high mileage turbo's either.

From an outsiders perspective it seems as if you are not that familar with turbo's to start with. Nothing against you, just stating an outsiders observation.

Ill give you an example of what I mean. I needed a 6 speed USDM ecu asap, purchased one, ran it for about 2 months and got a gforce. Sold the stocker(that I had been running with NO issues) a few months later get a text out of the blue that the ECU I sold him was a na due to toyota checking the part number. He had toyota check the part number because it was running rough. This was in mk3 swapped car IIRC. Now, there is no doubt in my mind something is going on as I ran it(and even searched the part number ON THE ECU) after I got it to verify it was correct. Told the guy this, and to search supraforums for the part number. Have not heard back in a few weeks so I assume either a.he realized toyota gave him the incorrect into or b.somehow/someway his ecu had been switched.
Had the guy made a post blaming me the ones who know me would have said there was no way, but I would still have came off looking like a scammer to those that dont know me even though I sold EXACTLY what I listed forsale.

cliffs, know what you are getting or buy knew

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I see your Point and Im not in any condition to argue about a turbo that was falsely Discribed. I should have looked at 1. His Post count, 2. He had this turbo on 3 Different Sites. Lesson Learned on my Behalf.

Ive taken apart Quite a few turbos and let me tell you sir that when we finally get the Exhaust housing off and solid rust particals falls out then there is a Problem. He discribed the turbo as he ran it on his MK4 2J, he pulled it and set it on the shelf. It was never installed on any other vehicle prior to him selling it. He also discribed it as a 3" V-Band flange. That is also a lie. I just found the correct flange that goes to this turbo and its a 3.5" flange. Turbo is infact a heavy Equipment turbo as that is what they shop that I just left specializes in.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Damn hate to see that man. Obviously the turbo you purchased was not as described, period. Best of luck to you on that situation man.
-Chris

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hey you all, First of all, Im not Local but I will be Moving to Lumberton, NC as I will be retiring from the Army. I could surely use someones help to either get in contact with this guy or atleast have him give me a call in ref to a Turbo that him and his Brother sold me.

Here is the Deal, He was Advertising a Turbo for sale and gave all the Specs stating that this is a T70 Turbo. I will Post his for sale thread. I purchased the Turbo and it was Shipped from the Above address on 26 September. Turbo Arrived to me 13 October is a Beaten up box that the Bottom corner was Busted out of. Once I opened the Box, the only thing that was around the turbo to Protect it was 2 towels. Once I looked the Turbo over I noticed that the Exhaust flange outlet is totally different than any V-Band flange that I have ever seen and the Entire turbo is clock 180 degrees in the wrong Direction. Basically If I mount the Turbo on my T-4 Flange manifold the Turbo Compressor housing will point Directly towards the Hood and the Oil Drain hole flange is on top and not the Bottom. I have emailed Derek Bradshaw and he got all offended and said that this is the way this turbo was mounted to his 2J MK4 supra and he Dynoed 57? at 17 PSI.

As you noticed as soon as I bought this turbo, he removed all the Specs from his for sale post.
http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=607052&highlight=t70

He stayed in contact with me via Email until the turbo reached my door. Once turbo was in hand and I started asking Questions he will not return any of my PMs.
First of all, I sent you MANY of pictures. I can show you a copy of that email too. I went above and beyond to take any pictures, angles, and videos to show you the ACCURATE description of the turbo before I wasted yours or my time.

Hence this video that was taken to SHOW you the condition:

http://tinypic.com/player.php?v=149vy2t&s=7

Turbo is not a T-70 as Discribed, There is no way n hell this turbo was mounted on a MK4 in the Configuration and all the Exhaust housing Bolts are Rusted to the point I had to use PB Blaster to get all the rust broken. Exhaust housing is sealed Solid (Will not rotate period even with Bolts removed and metal band that holds it secure against the center Sction is rusted into Pieces). This turbo looks to be for a Generator or Industrial engine. I will post Pics in a Bit of the Configuration that the Turbo was Delivered in. Please some of you MKIV guys look at this and tell me if Im correct. If anyone here knows this guy or how to get in contact with the said above person I would really appreciate a PM and I will send you my Number. My car is down and I have a Paper weight. Never been screwed over by a MK4 member as I have High regards to you all.
Yes, this Turbo was mounted on my MK4. I told you I did not use that return line on my motor. I had a -12 an fitting with adaptor to tap into my oil pan. I wouldnt even recommend using that return as there is no safe way to ensure your oil drains properly. The turbo was purchased new from a shop in Colorado while I was in school there. I provided you the shop name and place where I dyno'ed with that turbo. I can source a dyno sheet if you would like?

Pics of compressor housing with Oil return Pipe pointing upwards.

Exhaust Side. Not your Standard 3" V-Band Flange

Robert
The turbo was used on a custom top mounted manifold which was designed and fabricated by a good friend of mine. Still being used on my MK4 today w/ a T88.

As far as losing contact Robert? I emailed you back on October 21st OFFERING to buy you an exhaust housing to fit your likings, only to never have a reply back? I rarely check this site unless selling something. Here is a copy of my email that was sent:

With that being said, I did not "whodue" you or sell you junk. It was CLEARLY stated that the car and turbo spent 2 winters in Colorado. The turbo was clearly listed in USED but complete working condition, no bent fins, broken or busted seals, or leaks. I didnt remove the listing to cover trails, I removed the listing to prevent further emails or pm's or calls due to people "seeing" it for sale.

With that being said, I live just outside of Burbank and would be willing to meet you in person or possibly mail you either the housing I have, or one to your liking.

Either way, Please, next time, tell the whole story instead of your bias one side. The turbo was accurately described and I withheld my end of the deal even after the transaction.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
All this is water under the Bridge now.

As I told you in all my emails, I have no Problems with the compressor housing and that was never an Issue. The main Issue with this turbo was the Exhaust housing and all the rust associated with it. You discribed it as a 3" V-Band flange housing and If Im not Mistaken, A 3" V-Band is a 3" V-Band and doesnt enlarge to a 3.5" when shipping. You said that you cleaned the turbo Prior to shipping it to me and when it arrived I could wipe off the rust. Second, You said you Skyped your brother through the entire process of shipping the turbo. This is your Exact words pulled from the email you sent..

"""The box was in perfect shape before it left my brothers arms. It was packaged and neat at that. I was skyping him through the whole process. The towels were in there to buffer the turbo in case it incurred any damage or mishandling. I do not know how you would recommend me to ship something so large and obtuse"""

From what Im seeing in that statement, you never had physical hand on control of the turbo. How can you clean somethng you dont have in your Possession. When it got here it was shipped from the NC Address and not the CA address were you are which means you were just the funds collector and nothing else. Exhaust housing bolts were rusted solid to the point that 2 Broke trying to remove them so I could attempt to spin the Center Section. I cant do anything with a T3 housing and You know that. Im up here in WA state and there is no way I can meet you half way. I did ask for a refund and I was going to ship this turbo back to you at my Expense. You told me that your Paypal account was locked and you wouldnt be able to withdraw or send me anything for 180 days.

I contacted Garrett and sent them the Size of the Exhaust wheel as I was going to try and get a Housing for it. They couldnt tell me what Trim Size that wheel was. Its pretty close to a P-Trim but not what they would consider one. recommendations was to return it to you.

Lesson Learned on my part. Wont happen again, Turbo is gone and replace with a new one. I never got the Video that you listed and I never got those Pics that you said you had showing me how it was mounted to your 2J. Maybe the Turbo shop that deals with these types of turbo can use it on a Generator or something.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts