Supra Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been hearing that a lot of the new AEM's broken from the factory, and it is a roll of the dice if you get one that works at all....

Anyone know what the deal is? I heard it was new hardware, and I noticed the price jumped up.. wondering if anyone knows what they changed, and when?

·
Factory RSP Hardtopper
1,961 Posts
AEM Sucks.
Motec proven FTW.
Austrailian for Horsepower.

·
Read Only
368 Posts
Bah this is nothing new with AEM's. Back in '03 my old 400whp crx was sporting one and I had to get it replaced twice and It was brand new. Thought those issues were fixed long ago...

·
wastegate hose is pulled
4,586 Posts
Motec is Australian for ripoff and AEMs work fine as long as the UPS guy doesn't play frisbee with it, they just need better packaging.

·
Girlfriend #1 is a Rider
195 Posts
aem boost controller gage works fine on mine, just can't seem to figure out how to boost higher than 10psi

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
i never heard anything bad with AEM at all... NEWS to me

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Motec is Australian for ripoff and AEMs work fine as long as the UPS guy doesn't play frisbee with it, they just need better packaging.

I would love to actually compare support of any company vs. MoteC and see how they actually stack up.

Does AEM/GEMS finally support sequential ignition in a non-waste spark configuration?
How about a CDI that won't destroy itself when connected to a coil much less a measly mecury marine coil?
CAN communication?
How about putting 60 minus 2 parameters instead of doing 20 tooth all the time in the software regardless if you have a 20 tooth wheel or 120 teeth like in the audi?
How is that remote telemetry working for the AEM/GEMS?

·
Banned
30 Posts
I would love to actually compare support of any company vs. MoteC and see how they actually stack up.

Does AEM/GEMS finally support sequential ignition in a non-waste spark configuration?
How about a CDI that won't destroy itself when connected to a coil much less a measly mecury marine coil?
CAN communication?
How about putting 60 minus 2 parameters instead of doing 20 tooth all the time in the software regardless if you have a 20 tooth wheel or 120 teeth like in the audi?
How is that remote telemetry working for the AEM/GEMS?
Your points are noted, however, were forgetting the main factor here and that is the motec is about 3500.00 MORE than the AEM. AEM ftw.

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Your points are noted, however, were forgetting the main factor here and that is the motec is about 3500.00 MORE than the AEM. AEM ftw.
actually alot more when factoring in CDI-8 and all new sensors. Total cost of M800 + CDI-8 package + most every option enabled is about $10,000 after all is said and done in parts alone. Not counting install and dyno time. But this thing does alot that the aem does not do.

Especially for pro racing

like auto mapping the track,
telemetry (I know AEM has it but have not heard of successful report yet).

For me

the price difference is negligible considering the support i get, track side support and log analysis by MoteC themselves (kind of like the race teams with dedicated folks at Bosch, Magnetti Marelli etc). And talking about those other things, MoteC is actually the cheapest of the bunch. Bosch Motronic Racing ECU start at $40,000 usd not including the custom software for your particular application. Magnetti Marelli starts at $12,000, not including custom software. EFI Technologiees start at $12000 with software. So motec actually is the cheapest when it comes to pro racing.

Hell with all the aerodymanic sensors (for measure pressures across diff portions of the car,race vehicle), servo control etc. Can]t be beat. Of course if you don't use none of that, then even the megasquirt can fit the bill for cheaper than even the AEM.

·
Super Moderator
10,535 Posts
But this thing does alot that the aem does not do.

For me

the price difference is negligible considering the support i get, track side support and log analysis by MoteC themselves (kind of like the race teams with dedicated folks at Bosch, Magnetti Marelli etc). And talking about those other things, MoteC is actually the cheapest of the bunch. Bosch Motronic Racing ECU start at $40,000 usd not including the custom software for your particular application. Magnetti Marelli starts at $12,000, not including custom software. EFI Technologiees start at $12000 with software. So motec actually is the cheapest when it comes to pro racing.

Hell with all the aerodymanic sensors (for measure pressures across diff portions of the car,race vehicle), servo control etc. Can]t be beat. Of course if you don't use none of that, then even the megasquirt can fit the bill for cheaper than even the AEM.
Excellent post as usual. When the subject is EMSs for our cars, I'm always looking for your posts, Figgie!

Ken.

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Ken

as always I appreciate your comments and inputs :)

·
Real Girl Thread FTW!
4,627 Posts
actually alot more when factoring in CDI-8 and all new sensors. Total cost of M800 + CDI-8 package + most every option enabled is about $10,000 after all is said and done in parts alone. Not counting install and dyno time. But this thing does alot that the aem does not do.

Especially for pro racing

like auto mapping the track,
telemetry (I know AEM has it but have not heard of successful report yet).

For me

....and a stand alone engine management system, not a bad way to spend 10 thousand dollars! ( Dominic Toretto) lol

I rather use the AEM and deal with the bugs!

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
....I rather use the AEM and deal with the bugs!
My only reply.

Perfect. Anything else is one dead engine. And being in the IT industry, bugs, I have a 55 gallon drum of RAID for them ;)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts