Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
1400rwhp/8 Sec Club
2,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to know if anyone has seen the effects that a Oil cooler has on oil pressure.... I think this time around, I am going to need one to drive around town.. but i need my oil pressure!! Thanks

·
WI-FI FTW, GTFO fuse box!
8,108 Posts
I wanted to know if anyone has seen the effects that a Oil cooler has on oil pressure.... I think this time around, I am going to need one to drive around town.. but i need my oil pressure!! Thanks
X2. I have a line on an aircraft/AN line one I might install. It gets HOTT in this 'hurr desert!

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
I'm putting my oil cooler next week. Right now, my oil pressure with a 98 cooler bolt with NO stock cooler but just an air to air cooler, I get 2.3.2.6 bar at 1000rpms. So around 33 psi or so, full engine temp. Not sure on oil temp yet, I will find out soon though.

So, when I do connect my oil cooler I'll let you know. They say the main difference is that it takes longer to gain pressure when you first start up.

·
1400rwhp/8 Sec Club
2,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
747 Posts
With MK4's as you know they cool oil with hot coolant.I don't think its a good idea. As for street use oil coolers do a great job of keeping oil temps down as long as they are placed in a spot where they will get sufficent air flow. Not stuck behind a huge 4-5 inch intercooler that will rob it from cool air.

And BTW most of a engine/turbo wearing times are on start up, now a pre-lubing system will cut bearing wear down alot. As I said Accsump. It's insurance I think anybody with a high horsepower engine should not be without.

later Keith

·
1400rwhp/8 Sec Club
2,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
With MK4's as you know they cool oil with hot coolant.I don't think its a good idea. As for street use oil coolers do a great job of keeping oil temps down as long as they are placed in a spot where they will get sufficent air flow. Not stuck behind a huge 4-5 inch intercooler that will rob it from cool air.

And BTW most of a engine/turbo wearing times are on start up, now a pre-lubing system will cut bearing wear down alot. As I said Accsump. It's insurance I think anybody with a high horsepower engine should not be without.

later Keith
I am asking these questions .. so i can see if i can make a 1/2 filled motor work on the street... where oil temp is the only issue.

·
No, ...It was NEVER NA!!!
1,417 Posts
The rule of thumb is 10psi of oil pressure per 1000 rpm....just fyi.

T
Ive heard that too, but it doesnt sound right. I had 10 psi at idle, in an sr20det, and I was told by several people this was ok.

·
1,150+ rwhp club
4,438 Posts

·
Registered
747 Posts
I am asking these questions .. so i can see if i can make a 1/2 filled motor work on the street... where oil temp is the only issue.
1/2 filled should not be a problem, being only 1/2 filled your still running some coolant............right??

Size and placement of the cooler is the key.........if you get a large enough one, one to run a small fan to help always have a consistent amount or air flow running through it (like at a long stop light or just on a oil temp that you feel comfortable with) you will be fine.

Later Keith

·
1400rwhp/8 Sec Club
2,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
1/2 filled should not be a problem, being only 1/2 filled your still running some coolant............right??

Size and placement of the cooler is the key.........if you get a large enough one, one to run a small fan to help always have a consistent amount or air flow running through it (like at a long stop light or just on a oil temp that you feel comfortable with) you will be fine.

Later Keith
1/2 filled is a known problem with oil temp. With a half filled block, there is no coolant running through the bottom of the block. i dont have a "stock" oil cooler and I have not had good luck with the sandwich adapters...

I would run a oil cooler... but with a high perfomance motor... as you should know oil pressure is key. I may install it to see what pressure is.. if its to low.. i will try something else.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts