Supra Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have decided to buy the wife a m5 , and they are few and far between in these parts ... has anyone had any experience with these cars , i hate to hand over a chunk just to be dissappointed , going to Atlanta this weekend to drive one ... any help or comments would be appreciated... Terry

·
Registered
9 Posts
I had one and had to sell it just recently. They are not the fastest thing out there but are fairly quick for a sedan. I thought the vehicle handle well for it's size and weigh. Would def buy another one if I get a chance later. GL.

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
m5

yeah i know its not a race car , but it seems like a lotta bang for the family car buck , i drove the 540i with 100 less h/p and it was a lotta fun, looking forward to driving the other 100 .... thanks

·
Registered
57 Posts
I would certainly look for a certified pre-owned if BMW does that. Don't think I would own one outside of warranty. Cool cars though.

·
Registered
710 Posts
My friend owns a 2003 and I've driven it a few times. Very good handling and acceleration for such a large car. Listen to Bobby D. about the warranty though. Those cars are expensive to fix and maintain, especially if you don't do your own maintenance.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Unless you upgrade the clutch its going to eat them left and right. My friend in Orlando had his dads 2003 M5 it has 15 thousand miles and it still has its first clutch well that was until we took it out and did one high speed run. When you smell clutch on those cars it usually means bye bye for the clutch. I went with him later to some place that works on BMW's and they said from the factory the clutch is to small. A month ago the tranny in the car took a crap. Its very well built inside but I think BMW kind goofed in some areas with the power train. I mean its uses the same size clutch as the regular 540i So if you buy one and plan on driving it hard replace that clutch. Its a great car and a lot of fun for a 4 door good luck...

·
Registered
157 Posts
comming from a BMW technician... its a hell of a car. most of the M5s we see at the dealership are there for maitenance... not repairs. if they are there for repairs, its usually due to some kid that blew the clutch in their dads car. :stickpoke honestly though, they are built very well. i cant think of any one thing in particular that is known to go bad... assuming you dont drive like a moron. the E46 3 series on the other hand... if its out of warranty... get another loan for repairs. :rolleyes: feel free to pm me if you need anything like the vehicle history or anything the dealer may not want to give up. :bigthumb:

have fun.

·
Registered
231 Posts
ki soarer, so does the M5's have weak clutches or not? Thanks. :) I was thinking about M5's but I kinda gave up on the idea because I was afraid of things going wrong. But after reading your post, I've gotta give it a second thought :D

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
m5

thanks guys for all the answers , actually have an appointment to drive one tommorrow , i agree the car is built for performance with a mature mind, not all out street racing everyday , i am actually 34 not 26 like my avatar says and i just like having the power and torque at hand , and like i mentioned the car is for the wife and she is pretty easy on everything, KI Soarer i will be pm ing you when i set my mind on one thanks again for the help ...... Terry

1 - 10 of 10 Posts