Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Supra 4 Life
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have been getting the idea of selling my BPU TT Auto Supra and getting a Porsche 996 911 N/A. Anyone here have any opinions on them? I wanted an all around car with power and handling. Also my Supra does have JIC coilovers on it so I am wondering if the handling is even close to that of a 996 911. This would only be a weekend car like the Supra also. Thanks for your time.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Yes, sold mine earlier this year. Plenty fast for a daily driver, super classy, and I didn't do a single repair the entire time I owned it. Before buying check out the RMS, IMS, and coolant rez and you're good to go.

·
Registered
747 Posts
My good friend (btw who's a Porsche Master Tech) once told me quite a funny joke. Or at least I thought it was a joke. "What does every new Porsche come with off the showroom floor 3'x3' piece piece of laminated cardboard. So the owner doesn't leave oil stains on their nice driveway" So I thought it was super funny until we walked up to the showroom and he opened the trunk. Guess what, laminated cardboard. Which then it became classic! Even with the word "Porsche" on it. Really guys am not kidding. Don't know if they still offer this option but in 2006 they did.
Back to the OP, I would get a 996tt,911 turbo or even better a GT2 or GT3. IMO.

·
Registered
794 Posts
inbeforestevetheodore

·
Premium Member
12,619 Posts
Search this forum using "996". Tell us what you find.

·
Supra 4 Life
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry I tried 996 but I was looking more for N/A owners then Turbo owners. But it does seem like the general consensus is go Turbo or don't get one at all.

·
FUCK NOW!
1,076 Posts
Sorry I tried 996 but I was looking more for N/A owners then Turbo owners. But it does seem like the general consensus is go Turbo or don't get one at all.
People say the same thing about Supra's... get what you want, and what you can afford, not what a bunch of people who aren't paying for it think you should get.

Jonny

·
Systems *****istrator
616 Posts
I am in the same boat as you. Thinking about selling my supra for a 996. However I am leaning towards a 911tt. Regular 911 is still plentiful of power, and looks great. Can still be a great dd.

Have you looked into caymans as well?

·
Working OT
4,193 Posts
People say the same thing about Supra's... get what you want, and what you can afford, not what a bunch of people who aren't paying for it think you should get.

Jonny

This.

It's easy to say get the tt but you are the one paying for it. I think it's funny how everyone talks about needing all this power but most people either never drive their car and it sits in a garage or when they do they don't use all the power. The older I get (not that I'm saying I'm old) but the less I feel the need to have a crazy fast car. As long as you enjoy driving it don't worry about what everyone else thinks. Like all the guys that drive a miata.

·
Band on the Run
1,047 Posts
^^ Yea, its easy for people to say to go big or go home when its not there money thats being used.

Like SpoolN30 is telling someone looking to buy an n/a porsche 996(20k-30k) to buy the most expensive version of the porsche there is which is the GT2/GT3......

Lol some people are just not grounded in reality, and just like to jerk it to spec sheets and ring times and think if you buy a car you have to buy the highest hp car there is when the reality is it really doesnt matter for the most part when street driving.

Ive done some 7psi pulls on my single turbo mkiv supra and that cant be more then 300ish hp and people have told me thats the fastest car that they've been in.

·
Banned
5,941 Posts
Test drive the car first. Going from a BPUTT to an NA 911 may leave you disappointed.

-Alex

·
SUPRAfied
351 Posts
Test drive the car first. Going from a BPUTT to an NA 911 may leave you disappointed.

-Alex
until you look down and realize you're driving a porsche, not a toyota :eek4dance

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
I feel you on the porsche, but seriously for less money I'd go with a BMW M3 - E46. Probably an all around better car, daily, just as quick, track potential, mod potential, etc....Just a better choice IMO.

But that's me.

·
Canadian monster
596 Posts
i own a 996TT and i used to own a supra tt. I tried the NA 996 and i can tell you you will be disapointed if you are used to the power of your supra. It handles very well, is confo and all but really lacks in the power department.

I don't see how a 996 would be a good purchase if you have a supra, i don't think you will enjoy driving it as much as the supra.

If i were you and you were looking at buying an other car to add to your supra, i would look more towards an nsx or a viper, even a t-rex (if you know what it is) so that at least it's different from the supra. I am looking for those to add aside my turbo.

i would pass on the 996 if i were you but if you decide to buy one, get a 2002+ with the 3.6L, they are 10x more reliable than the 2001- and they don't leak like they used to. The turbo is bulletproof, it's an other story though but also out of your price range i guess.

·
Registered
747 Posts
My list of Porsches are ones I would buy if i had the money. If you can afford a Porsche in the first place just wait and save for a turbo model. It's with any car you buy. You get used to the power and crave more. Buying a NA Porsche is not like buying a NA Supra. Much much more cash to turbo a Porsche and but then the point is lost.

·
Super Moderator
10,384 Posts
Owning a 996 NA is like dating a supermodels' less hot sister.

You say the name, everyone thinks its way better than it is.. then you introduce them and they are very disappointed.

That's exactly how a friend of mine described owning his 2003 996 Carrera.

·
Roll Tide
893 Posts
I compared four different 911 models (all 2004's), all manual transmissions, and all with 50,000 miles.

Carrera

http://www.kbb.com/used-cars/porsch...xcellent&id=3306&category=coupe&mileage=50000

Carrera 4S

http://www.kbb.com/used-cars/porsch...xcellent&id=3299&category=coupe&mileage=50000

GT3

http://www.kbb.com/used-cars/porsch...t&id=3317&category=coupe&mileage=50000#survey

Turbo

http://www.kbb.com/used-cars/porsch...xcellent&id=3315&category=coupe&mileage=50000

I wouldn't bother with just a base 911. Go with the Carrera 4S. Much better handling from what I hear. I know a guy who has one and he loves it.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts