Supra Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone is or has ever ran they're supra with a Ford c4 transmission. I bought my car being told it had a TH400 tranny in it that needed to be rebuilt. Once i took it out it was actually a Ford AOD tranny. The AOD tranny doesnt hold the power the c4 does so i figured i should just go with it instead of rebuild the AOD. I know i could go with a TH400 but i figured it may be easier just keeping everything together since its all for a ford transmission. If anyone could help me out with some advice much would be appreciated.
Thanks, chad

·
Registered
581 Posts
It's probably the most popular Auto Swap for the Nissan guys. AMS makes a conversion kit, and most buy the physical tranny from Performance Automatics, Inc.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
The C4 is a decent trans if you are going to keep the power on the lower side. Say under 600 horse or so. The Chevy equivalent would be the turbo 350 trans. Overall i would say go with the th400 it is going to hold up better in the long run and more than likely give you less trouble. I have had friends with mustangs over the years have some issues with the C4 trans with cars in the 4-500 horsepower range. On the flip side of things I have had friends with the th400 in a variety of things and they have had no trouble. I guess it depends on your budget too.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah im shooting for over 600. Id really like to go with a TH400 i just dont know if everything i have will bolt up like i need it to plus im probably gonna need a new driveshaft with the 400 as well. The C4 i was looking to buy was built to hold a 1000hp and its coming out of a turboed fox body mustang. Its pretty much in good shape he told me they would go back through it again to refreshing everything in it before he sells it.

·
Registered
13,581 Posts
egoguy07 from NJ runs a Ford AOD tranny in his singled Supra...I don't know what kind of power he's making now but I think he's running a 74mm turbo; you might want to check his experiences with it.

·
Premium Member
3,062 Posts
Theres a few th-350's that have held quite a bit of power and Ati says they can be built just as strong as the th-400's. My th-350 has held over 800rwhp so far.

·
The Slow And The Curious
469 Posts
stock for stock the th400 is a lot stronger than the th350 but you can build the th350 to handle some good power. my th350 was built to be able to handle about 1000 hp. also the th350 is lighter and doesnt rob as much power as the th400. as for the c4 i dont have much experience with it but they can be built to handle some good power too. it all depends on how much money you want to spend. i have some friends that run fords who are using a built aod with about 7-800 hp and have had no issues. if you already have all the stuff to make the ford trans. work it will probable be cheaper to go that route just remember you get what you pay for expecially with transmissions. hope this helps

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys for all the help. Yeah i have everything i need to run the C4 thats why i was thinking i may just go that route and the C4 i would be buying is built to the max. So its not like im throwing in a stock transmission.

·
Registered
119 Posts
What kind of converter are you looking for? I may have an extra one if i get that c4 tranny. I believe its 4,000 stall not positive though.
I need something that will work with the 2jz and have a good stall speed for the 2jz. I can get a v8 converter. I may have to look into a custom converter.
I am going to need the bell housing adapter still.
does anyone know where I can get one?

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
I need something that will work with the 2jz and have a good stall speed for the 2jz. I can get a v8 converter. I may have to look into a custom converter.
I am going to need the bell housing adapter still.
does anyone know where I can get one?
You have a PM. :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Now im thinking about just forking the money out and going with the TH400. I think in the long run it would prob be the best. Unless anyone has any other recommendations for me.

·
VPC Power
1,957 Posts
I say build the AOD. They can be built to handle decent power plus you have overdrive. Very important if this car will see street miles. It all depends on how much hp you are going to make.

·
Registered
165 Posts
If you start making power the 400 is the most economical way to go! Bite the bullet now and buy the most rubust t/m the first time.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
If you start making power the 400 is the most economical way to go! Bite the bullet now and buy the most rubust t/m the first time.
Thats what im gonna do. I actually just put it in the shop earlier today. Ive pretty much got everything besides the converter so i guess im gonna need to figure that out now. I was running a 3800 stall through the AOD. So i guess i should ask what stall are most people running through the th400 and what would be best?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts