Supra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ordered a driftmotion 6262 kit earlier this week. Car has not been running right since I got it over a year ago. One of the factory twins is gone, etc. The lag to 4k RPM is extremely obnoxious, and inconsistent -- it struggles to get there.

My Sup has a bit of work left (if you've seen me build), so I have to balance the budget to accommodate and address other pending issues.

Ive read a shit ton of posts on single kits ranging from eBay's to $15k + hand-picked monsters. In other words, I'm extremely aware and conscious of what I purchased and what to expect.

The goal here is to get her running normally & consistent within the factory Fuel, ECU configuration/specs -- while also cleaning up and simplifying the engine bay a bit. Target power is a healthy & consistent 320hp, which should not be a problem considering what I got.

Prior to my purchase, I had already bought some stuff from Driftmotion. The consensus is that they/Aaron are great and my experience has been nothing short of that thus far.

----------

I want to know if anyone else has bought and/or installed this setup (or a similar setup) from DM. I couldn't find anything thru the search except a couple of FS posts on a "6262".

Notes: I chose this kit as I wanted something that spools up rather quickly. I got the .68 AR undivided housing. I'll be running it with the stock MAF and (as mentioned), with stock fuel and ECU. No boost controller, no VPC or GCC, etc.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
I'm all for DM stuff, I've bought many things from them but I wouldn't run one of those kits. Sorry let me rephrase that. I wouldn't run the turbo, manifold or wastegate. Sorry just being honest. I've seen Ebay turbos blow apart, I've seen ebay wastegates fail and not open, and I personally replaced my Greddy t88-34D (a $3500 turbo) because of slag from an ebay manifold.

I know the price is right but there are all kinds of guys selling slightly used good kits for the same amount of money. If i had to choose between this and a slightly used fsr street fighter kit with an actual pte 6266, I'd take the fsr kit all day everyday.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
JDMricer > Appreciate the feedback. I've read countless threads like that on this forum though, and I don't want to turn this one into that. I understand what you mean in regards to the manifold, turbo, and mechanical parts. I understand about "piecing it together", etc. Trust me man, I've read thru all of that shit. I've seen the StreetFigther kit (like it alot actually), but with a PTE 6266 it's over $3k "NEW" and I haven't seen one drop on the FS section in a while (if not ever). That kit is capable of over 700 hp which is clearly not what I'm trying to do. No where near it. People here have all sorts of mixed reviews & feelings about "Chinese vs. Namebrand" -- "CX Racing vs. Driftmotion" -- the search button is there, I've gone thru it all. That said, this is not an end-all-be-all. It's an affordable transition that will allow me, at the very least, to have the car running properly while I finish the resto process.

So yeah man, I'm just looking for feedback (if any), from guys that have bought this or any kit from DM...just for shitz-n-gigglz. There has to be someone else, lol.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
I can appreciate where you are coming from, but I'd hate to see you take one step forward and two steps back because you rushed into it with a cheap kit. Let's not kid ourselves, this may be called something different but this is an ebay turbo kit.

I'm running an ebay cast manifold. However these have been proven time and time again to be rugged enough to be up to the job. My concern isn't about the power it makes. It's about the parts not doing their intended task and you doing catastrophic damage to the engine because of it. I have no problem with running a cheap downpipe. If one came along at this point in my build I'd do it myself. If it cracks or chunks of the welds come off inside it, worst case scenario it comes out the tail pipe.

If slag comes off in the manifold it junks the turbo. If the turbo gets out of balance it junks itself and sends a million different pieces of itself through your engine. Now you need a complete rebuild. At the absolute minimum sell the manifold and buy a cast one. You can probably break even.

If the turbo becomes unbalanced or isn't well balanced from the factory in china (which happens) the turbo junks itself on its own. As you heat cycle the turbo these things wear out incredibly quick. I've seen ebay turbos on hondas where the blades don't spin at idle. In that case the bearing cooked itself after an oil change worth of miles. We where amazed it didn't grenade itself.

Wastegates aren't even that expensive. I can't fathom that people trust such a crucial part built by a 8 year old chinaman named ping pang. Wastegate doesn't open. Say goodbye engine OR if your engine makes it, say goodbye turbo which than says goodbye engine. Good brand name wastegates can be had for a couple hundred dollars easily.

A decent turbo can be had easily for $1000 (and I think I'm being extremely generous here, I bought mine for 700).
A decent used wastegate can be had for $200
A NEW cast manifold can be had for $200 (I think they are actually closer to 150)
Oil line kit $200 bucks easily (probably less)
Ebay dump tube kit-$40 bucks.
Quality used 3" downpipe-$150 bucks.
K & N filter- $50 bucks.

Worst case scenario your at 1840. Realistically you could likely do it for closer to $1500.

Anyway, I'll shut up now.

·
I wanna go fast!
865 Posts
I don't have experience with this specific kit but I do have some input on the components as I am pricing out an eBay turbo build for a b18 honda.

Off brand Chinese components are hit or miss. Coming frim a place like DM they are probably fine. For the wastegate just start your boost low. You don't know how accurate it will reference but it should still work reliably. For the bov, test it and make sure it doesn't leak. Again the reference may be a bit off so it may need adjustment. As for the turbo if it spins straight and smooth just make sure you keep it lubed and keep an eye on it. Should be fine. Also the manifold may not match the ports all too well. You may be in for a fair bit of port matching. I spent about a day matching up a set of stainless v6 headers once but for the price difference it was well worth it.

Sounds like you did your homework and if it's a budget build so be it. You just have to watch out for things you would normally take for granted if using a high end component.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Driftmotion is legit. They don't sell garbage. 6262 is a precision right? The only problem is that turbo will blow past 320 whp on pump before your wastegate can open.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Driftmotion is legit. They don't sell garbage. 6262 is a precision right? The only problem is that turbo will blow past 320 whp on pump before your wastegate can open.
It's not a precision turbo it's a turbo they call a 6262. After reading about it, it does claim to have a garrett chra but I'd be skeptical looking at the things to run one on my car. I wouldn't want to be the mule.

·
Super Moderator
1,276 Posts
Care to elaborate Shipkiller?

·
Registered
184 Posts
It's a cheap kit and you get what you pay for.
-Basically the wastegate/downpipe fitments are sketchy (they are in contact, one of the two o2 bung was unsuable because of that)
-wastegate came without the dump tube flange.
-wastegate can't control boost properly with a mac valve (standalone) despite multiple tuners playing with the PID and valve setting, boost controller install is good so it should work. It is 10psi or 20psi creeping to infinite or straight infinite, pick yours
-wastegate refuse to seal properly after 2 summer
-oil lines and an fittings are of low quality (leaked within a year of use)
-the oil drain flange/an fitting can only be install by having the flat face of the an fitting BARELY clear one of the bolt that hold the compressor housing on
-Turbo advertised as a 6262, very laggy and does not make a ton of power (316rwhp @ 16psi with moderate amount of timing, these are 1jz twins power figure right there)
-Chinese hardware included should not be used. You have to use the stock manifold studs and bolts but some have to be cut or grinded to fit the manifold.
Overall it isnt as "bolt on" as advertised

When I went with this kit I was on a budget and I still run it to this day, but I had to replace the oil lines/fitting, modify the downpipe, order a additional wastegate flange to make a dumptube, fab a new hotside intercooler piping.
Its cheap and it works ok, but I'd go with a proper turbo if I was to do it again (probably a holset)

·
Question to suit.
3,562 Posts
My DM wastegates (2 different ones) did 27PSI all the time. No more, no less. Didn't matter how you ran the lines to it.

I bought some nice sunglasses, and ran it at 27PSI.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Poverty turbo kit 101

Cast ebay manifold $150
used Tial wg $200
new Cast Borg s362-66 depending on power goals $550
Homemade downpipe ...or worst to worst take it to somewhere to have the downpipe made.. ehh 2 hours or so + material so $100-300 depending on if it is homemade or a shop does it hard to judge that one.
ebay return line/feed line $100

Ebay turbo + questionable wastegate+questionable manifold welding ..its all kinda trash you could do better at home piecing together a nice little kit and do it for the same price.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts