Supra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone runn alcohol in thier supra? Just curious on what it takes to use alcohol on our cars. Pondering if it's possibel to make make the car run on alcohol and petro (not at the same time). Switch Tune maps and drain the tank when switching back and forth between alcohol and petro.

·
Registered
923 Posts
What are you expecting to push (power-wise) to be serious enough to run the car on alcohol? Honestly, by the time you are running alcohol on your car, it is nowhere near a street car and you won't even consider switching back to gasoline...LOL :) Imagine this, by seeking alcohol, it means you have already surpassed the max allowable power on ie: C16 race gas.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I know drag cars running alcohol need to change their oil after 2 or 3 1/4 mile runs. You can see it floating on top of the oil . Not for a street car!

·
Registered
331 Posts
You are already running on 10%ethanol. Ethanol,toulene is now the octane booster for premium pump gas rather then MTBE.
Just run a search on Ethanol on web. Some guy was running straight ethanol in a older 7m supra with no conversion. The ECU adjusted fuel ratio using O2 sensor.
Yes less MPG with no tuning. With tuning higher output and about same MPG as gasoline. Ethanol is higher octane (103), hence higher possible boost.

If you mix ethanol and gasoline it must be pure dried ethanol (no water content). If you run straight ethanol some very small amounts of water is ok.
I have not done a conversion, But I'm looking hard into it. One Item I need to look at is material in fuel system. Fuel lines, Injectors o-rings, and so on, are they resistant to ethanol? I do not know yet. But from what I have read yes they are since most manufacturers changed to alchol resistant material in late 80's.

Methanol is a different story. It is being used as a octane booster in supras by spraying in just after intercooler. Methanol is highly corrosive to aluminium. Hence just spraying at high boost.
Check forum on this.

·
Registered
13,581 Posts
Unfortunately, when I asked Erol about running on pure methanol, it just made me want to do it even more. Definitely some issues with a frequent street driver running on meth, but lots of power benefits.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What are you expecting to push (power-wise) to be serious enough to run the car on alcohol? Honestly, by the time you are running alcohol on your car, it is nowhere near a street car and you won't even consider switching back to gasoline...LOL :) Imagine this, by seeking alcohol, it means you have already surpassed the max allowable power on ie: C16 race gas.
My interest is how safer it is to run on alcohol than petro. It's cooler, cleaner and less risk of detonation when compared to petro. Im interested in a more efficient safer HP levels. I understand most poeple don't do this as you can't run in a lot of Classes for racing. But for some fun and having added protection to the engine and making it more efficent is my interest.

I was thinking up upgrading the fuel lines to handle the alcohol fuel. I run 1600cc injector and never come near to 85% duty cycle. However, since running alcohol is about 30% more, I could probably use the extra cc's in alcohol applications.

I'm not talking about a 2 separate systems. Just having one and run petro most of the time, then drain the tank, purge the lines and then put alcohol/ethenol and change the maps. I didn't thin about mixing it, however with E85 coming up to speed, it's going to be uneveiteble if I ever use pump gas.

·
Boost Junkie
12,623 Posts
I was contemplating running straight methanol in an all motor race car I built back in 2002 and it was going to be a pain in the ass...that was for an all out drag car. It is way to corrosive to use in a daily driver or a street car in my opinion. Too many things that need to be constantly maintained.

There are some really nice alky kits on the market though that could be used on a Supra and allow for a lot of boost on 93 octane. I'd look into that first.

Steve K.

·
Registered
6,492 Posts
You are already running on 10%ethanol. Ethanol,toulene is now the octane booster for premium pump gas rather then MTBE.
Just run a search on Ethanol on web. Some guy was running straight ethanol in a older 7m supra with no conversion. The ECU adjusted fuel ratio using O2 sensor.
Yes less MPG with no tuning. With tuning higher output and about same MPG as gasoline. Ethanol is higher octane (103), hence higher possible boost.

If you mix ethanol and gasoline it must be pure dried ethanol (no water content). If you run straight ethanol some very small amounts of water is ok.
I have not done a conversion, But I'm looking hard into it. One Item I need to look at is material in fuel system. Fuel lines, Injectors o-rings, and so on, are they resistant to ethanol? I do not know yet. But from what I have read yes they are since most manufacturers changed to alchol resistant material in late 80's.

Methanol is a different story. It is being used as a octane booster in supras by spraying in just after intercooler. Methanol is highly corrosive to aluminium. Hence just spraying at high boost.
Check forum on this.

staright eth with no tuning on stock everything. Not happening as I run e85, have been for the last two years going on three.

·
Registered
331 Posts
staright eth with no tuning on stock everything. Not happening as I run e85, have been for the last two years going on three.
Your running 100% ethanol? or E85 for three years? No problems at all? MkIII Turbo?

Good power? If so, kick ass! Thank you!

Oh how is MPG?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts