Supra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my current DD is getting to be on it's last leg and I'm starting to look at potential replacements. I am planning on buying a home within the next year and would really like to drift/autocross the supra, so I decided a truck would be best for my needs at the moment.

Let's face it, as much as they try to kill Lexus owners with their accelerators and as many uninspiring cars they have out (joke)... I'm a toyota guy down to my core, so I'd like to buy a 1st gen tundra (if I had 2nd gen money this post wouldnt exist).

This is the truck I'm looking to buy:
2005 or 2006 Toyota Tundra
V8 4WD regular or access cab
W/ Tow package
Tow capacity 6900-7100

I'm figuring the Supra (mk3) at 3800 plus a trailer at say 2500 which would be around 6300 lbs plus some tools and an extra set of wheels/tires in the bed... I'm also looking for a 16 foot trailer with runners as opposed to a full platform to save some weight... None the less I imagine this will be right at the max capacity and I am worried the truck may not handle it. I'm talking I want the option to tow the supra 900 miles from NY to GA if I should need.

Anyone have any experience towing with these trucks?

·
Captain Hammer
2,020 Posts
I have just a little bit of experience.

The 05 and 06 is the better choice as it has the 5 speed transmission in place of the 4 speed A340e.

I own a 02 4wd with tow package that we purchased used at 44,000 miles. It now has 166,000 miles, 70% of which has been towing. I have installed super springs, a B&W goose neck, and electronic brake controller.

Notable large things I've pulled- single car hallmark enclosed, including threw the mountains. I've had supras, vipers and gtr's inside without any concern. I've had 2 horse, 3 horse, 4 horse, and 4 horse with living quarters all behind without any concern(the longest horse trailer being 41 feet). I've also pulled a Kabota tractor, that with trailor tipped in over 13,000 pounds.

I've towed 900+ miles in a single stint with no issue at all.

One thing you'll want to do ASAP is get a set of slotted rotors on the front, they will warp oems so fast. I used to have to turn rotors/replace every other month, I've put a set of our slotted rotors over 2 years ago, and have not turned them since and have no warpage. OEM pads on top of the slotted rotors works great.

The key with any Toyota is maintenance, give it plugs every 30k, oil changes 3-5k, if you are towing heavy trans every 15k, if not every 30k, hit the timing belt at 90k and drive it.

TLDR: It's a great truck, properly prepped will take anything you want to throw at it, and I've had people regularly inform me that "You can't pull that trailer with that truck!" after I've arrived at the horse show.

·
Boost Junkie
12,622 Posts
I had an '06 Double Cab 4WD TRD modem and towed my Supra many times using a U-Haul car hauler (Open). While it had electronic brake controllers, the U-Haul trailer didn't. I had zero issues towing the Supra. The farthest I towed it was 700 miles round trip. I would think that as long as you have a good trans cooler and do the maintenance suggested you should be fine. I also turned off O/D when towing anything more than 2000lbs.

Steve

·
Captain Hammer
2,020 Posts
\ I also turned off O/D when towing anything more than 2000lbs.

Steve
Thanks for mentioning that! I forgot that, I never tow in O/D. The a340e was BAD about exploding O/D when used to tow. The 5 speeds did not have the same problem from what I saw, but it's a very good practice. Also, you shouldn't be running fast enough to use over drive anyway =p (coming from experince when I had a enclosed trailer catch bad wind at 80 mph and almost flip the truck and trailer.)

·
Registered
6,170 Posts
Would a trd blower be beneficial for towing?

·
Captain Hammer
2,020 Posts
Would a trd blower be beneficial for towing?
Generally speaking, the forced induction motors create too much drive train heat, and as such it's normally better to stick to NA. If you look at the rear mount turbo kits, they strongly advise against it.

The TRD kits aren't as bad, but you still have the issue of lots and lots of heat developed over the long haul, and the motors are strong enough without to tow reasonably.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Get the 1st GEN then place the TRD blower on top. That will supply plenty of towing power. If you buy a Sequoia you will actually have a higher tow rating due to the heavier weight of the truck. So maybe go with that as a option. Good luck with your choice.
Keith

·
Custom User Title
974 Posts
I've towed a full weight targa supra (3700lbs) with a uhaul car hauler (2450lbs) using a 4 cyl 5 speed Tacoma. The Tundra will be fine (although V8s only come with automatics so you'll probably want a tranny cooler)

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I have just a little bit of experience.

The 05 and 06 is the better choice as it has the 5 speed transmission in place of the 4 speed A340e.

I own a 02 4wd with tow package that we purchased used at 44,000 miles. It now has 166,000 miles, 70% of which has been towing. I have installed super springs, a B&W goose neck, and electronic brake controller.

Notable large things I've pulled- single car hallmark enclosed, including threw the mountains. I've had supras, vipers and gtr's inside without any concern. I've had 2 horse, 3 horse, 4 horse, and 4 horse with living quarters all behind without any concern(the longest horse trailer being 41 feet). I've also pulled a Kabota tractor, that with trailor tipped in over 13,000 pounds.

I've towed 900+ miles in a single stint with no issue at all.

One thing you'll want to do ASAP is get a set of slotted rotors on the front, they will warp oems so fast. I used to have to turn rotors/replace every other month, I've put a set of our slotted rotors over 2 years ago, and have not turned them since and have no warpage. OEM pads on top of the slotted rotors works great.

The key with any Toyota is maintenance, give it plugs every 30k, oil changes 3-5k, if you are towing heavy trans every 15k, if not every 30k, hit the timing belt at 90k and drive it.

TLDR: It's a great truck, properly prepped will take anything you want to throw at it, and I've had people regularly inform me that "You can't pull that trailer with that truck!" after I've arrived at the horse show.
You know I was thinking you guys had a tundra back in the day but I couldn't remember. I'm kind of amazed it's still around.

Yeah I am trying to stick with the 05-06 for the added hp out of the box as well. I read about the rotor warping issue and it seemed like a few guys on the tundra boards were saying it's a pretty common occurrence even without towing. Also I thought the tow package came with a 7 pin hookup for an electronic brake control?

None the less good to know towing the sup doesn't seem like it would be an issue at all. Thanks for the advice as usual.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I had an '06 Double Cab 4WD TRD modem and towed my Supra many times using a U-Haul car hauler (Open). While it had electronic brake controllers, the U-Haul trailer didn't. I had zero issues towing the Supra. The farthest I towed it was 700 miles round trip. I would think that as long as you have a good trans cooler and do the maintenance suggested you should be fine. I also turned off O/D when towing anything more than 2000lbs.

Steve
I've towed a full weight targa supra (3700lbs) with a uhaul car hauler (2450lbs) using a 4 cyl 5 speed Tacoma. The Tundra will be fine (although V8s only come with automatics so you'll probably want a tranny cooler)
Yeah I towed a uhaul trailer behind one of their trucks over the summer and that particular one had surge brakes. I also thought I read somewhere that the tow package tundra comes with a trans cooler. Can someone confirm or deny?

Generally speaking, the forced induction motors create too much drive train heat, and as such it's normally better to stick to NA. If you look at the rear mount turbo kits, they strongly advise against it.

The TRD kits aren't as bad, but you still have the issue of lots and lots of heat developed over the long haul, and the motors are strong enough without to tow reasonably.
Any idea how the 05-06 motor holds up to the added power? I read somewhere that the rods are not exactly a strong suit and the trd blower setup on that year range is not recommended.

·
Boost Junkie
12,622 Posts
YEs, I had the TRD off road package w/tow package. Truck did great. I regret getting rid of it everyday. I replaced it with a 4-RUnner which is also fine (has same engine and trans), but I miss not having the pick up bed for picking up trees/shrubs/lumber, etc.

As long as the Tundra you buy is taken care of you should be fine.

Steve

·
Captain Hammer
2,020 Posts
Any towing, on any year and I'd stay away from the super charger, if only for the heat. Heat is the biggest issue.

The Tunrdas brake issue goes with normal driving, but the fix has been slotted rotors, and several others agree with it.

Any Toyota towing package includes the trans cooler, and it wouldn't hurt to add a second, but I don't run one and havent over heated the trans fluid once.

The 04-06 trucks with towing package should have a 7 pin out back, but you still need to add a brake controller. Toyota sells a small, 4 wire pig tail that you wire to your brake controller and then it's "plug and play". The factory side connector hides behind the left kick panel, taped over.

Really, you can't go wrong, TRD off road with towing is your best bet, has stiffer rear springs, better shocks.

And like Steve said, find one with a good service history.

The grey truck you remember Chris is the same one we are running around with now, abused off roading, and abused on the road lol. Not one mechanical failure to date, it has only had maintenance/brakes done to it.

·
Not so boring anymore
7,085 Posts
Get the 1st GEN then place the TRD blower on top. That will supply plenty of towing power. If you buy a Sequoia you will actually have a higher tow rating due to the heavier weight of the truck. So maybe go with that as a option. Good luck with your choice.
Keith
Toyota Discontinued the blower for the 4.7, and I've heard it was because the engine had reliability problems with the supercharger (weak rods). The Sequoia has a 6500lb rating and the v8 tundra has a 7200lbs rating.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts