Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Fly Navy
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about doing this when I take my carpet out to dye it black. I wanna lay down dynamat pretty much on the entire floor and as far up the firewall as I can. Think it'll make a decent difference in cutting out road noise?

·
ส็็็็็็&
919 Posts
I just did this to my car when i replaced the speakers. I did the entire floorboard (doubled along the exhaust, hatch, and rear wheel wells) the doors, targa, and even on the back of all the plastic interior panels. It made a big difference especially when i got everything back in the car. It also keeps your stereo noise from escaping which is nice since the thieves wont know you have anything to steal

I didnt use dynamat but the much cheaper www.fatmat.com it took me almost 3 50sqft rolls for the entire car. The rattle trap they sell is 2x as thick but would be a bit more of a headache to install i think

·
SuperMember
3,154 Posts
it definately helps, I did it to my car as well with the fat mat, bought it of ebay for I think around 90 bucks for 100sf

·
Actual Member Since 2003
3,204 Posts
when you do the firewall, do you do the engine bay firewall or inside the car firewall? i am a noob to this...

·
Fly Navy
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
when you do the firewall, do you do the engine bay firewall or inside the car firewall? i am a noob to this...
Inside. When I take the carpet up, I'm going to just go under the dash and "up" as far as possible without ripping my whole dash out. I know I won't get very far up, but it'll be better than nothing.

Thanks for the tip on the 'fat mat' stuff guys - never heard of it. :)

·
aKa Blk96SupraTT
3,866 Posts
To all the guys who done it: So basically you strip the entire interior of your car. (carpet, door panels, rear panels, seats and trunk) Put that stuff on under all of it and put the car back together right? Just tring to get a clear picture of how you guys are doing it.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I've been planning on doing this as well. My interior is tan and I bought a brand new black carpet to install. I did some research (back when the search used to work) and heard good things about www.secondskin.com (I believe was the website).

Not as pricey as Dynamat, but not as cheap as some of the other stuff mentioned here. I heard "you get what you pay for" though with some of the cheaper stuff. Anyway, I can't argue either way because I haven't done it yet, but I've heard a lot of good comments on secondskin.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I did this as well and a head's up its going to suck if you do it right. Basically you'll take out the entire interior and then want to clean off all the metal with rubbing alcohol and/or whatever else. This will tear your hands up big time.

Once everything's clean you can then lay down your choice of sound dampener. Be sure the area is clean and you'll probably want a roller and a heat gun.
-Dynamat
-Second Skin
-Elemental Audio (my favorite)
-Faatmat
-Brown Bag

It will help out a lot, especially if your running no cats but my single 10" sub still kept getting drowned out by the exhaust. That blue stuff is the Second Skin "Sludge". Don't really recommend it, didn't seem to do much. I also put down some eDead from Elemental Audio which I like a lot better.

·
Fan of Stock Twins
249 Posts
I gutted my entire car, and cleaned all surfaces before putting down B-Quiet Ultimate (www.b-quiet.com). 50 square feet of this stuff only weighed about 20 pounds (rough estimate).

As mentioned above, It did suck & It did tear up my hands to do it right. Basically did the whole floor. The biggest pain in the @ss for me was cutting out shapes to match the mating surfaces.

I don't think using a lot of sound deadening material is as important as making sure you put material in key places. Obviously, wherever the factory put sound deading material is a key location. I am no NVH expert, but I believe most of the noise I get is road noise (My TRD Gen2 exhaust is pretty quiet). I made sure to put a strip on the inner side of the wheel well, behind the speaker enclosure as shown below:

I do know that sound level is measured on a logarithmic scale, so to get a 1 decibel drop in noise can be quite difficult. Just blindly covering your entire interior with this stuff may have little overall effect. I would think the wheel wells, the trunk, and the doors would be the best bang-for-the buck areas to cover. With all the highly educated Supra owners out there, surely there must be a degreed NVH expert who can mention the key areas to apply sound material......

·
Registered
1,318 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
back in the day when i was into dB drag and working for a car audio shop installing ridiculously loud systems, i experimented with different materials for sound dampening. I discovered a roofing material that could be picked up at local hardware stores called "Peel and Seal". It was an aluminum back material that worked very much as does the dynamate in getting rid of unwanted noise. The greatest thing was it didn't leave your vehicle with an odor on hot days as did some of the popular brand dampeners. And you could purchase extremely large rolls of this for little or nothing. I can't remember pricing exactly for its been a few years, but i think an 18" wide roll 30 or 40 feet long was like 50 bucks. I lined my entire cab and bed in three layers of this stuff. As far as blocking road noise it did cut back, but the main purpose in a stick on matting is to change the resonant frequency of the metal. By adding mass to the body panels you are able to get rid of unwanted rattles and flutters from high SPL stereos.

·
Banned
1,984 Posts
stripped it down and added only 15lbs but much more street comfort with stiffer suspension and loud 4" exhaust

·
Registered
308 Posts
im gonna go agaisnt what people have said here. most people have said they deadened there whole car (which owuld make a huge difference), not just the floor, and from other places i've heard it does next to nothing on the floor, most benefit is from doors/boot.

as some-one else said it changes the resonant frequency of the panel, but the floor is very thick strong panels so the normal deadener wont do all that much, however a bit of road noise can be blocked out by laying down thicker foam type stuff that will shield noise, not just change resonant frequency etc.

having said all that i havent had too much experience with it myself and could be completely wrong lol

·
aKa Blk96SupraTT
3,866 Posts
Out of all the ones that everyone just named. Is there really a quality difference between them??? I know the saying you pay for what you get, but does that apply to this subject also?

·
6Spd TT Aerotop
3,620 Posts
I'd also like to know the quality of deadening between the brands, and the weight difference also.

People in here are saying they laid down 15lb, which is only 6kg, I really don't care about that much weight. Would be nice to have that full luxury feel to the car that a lot of deadening gives off.

Dan.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I don't feel there is a big quality difference when it comes to actually sound deadening, at least when referring to the asphalt based typical "Dynamat" stuff. One thing I have noticed is the difference in adhesiveness. Thats what I particularly liked about the Elemental Audio stuff (eDead). It stuck very easily without a heat gun and seemed permanent.

For every day driving the weight difference is minimal and the pro's far outweigh the con's.

·
Fly Navy
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I ordered 100 sq. ft. of "FatMat" and it should be here any time now. I plan on ripping the interior out anyways because my leather from leatherseats.com should be in on the first, so while that's at the shop getting put on, I can get busy dying the carpet and doing the FatMat. :)

1 - 20 of 39 Posts