Supra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
ma70-7m=1JZ
2,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I am ordering some wheels and tires from Tirerack.com. And I am trying to avoid the extra $100+ for shipping to Cnada and the crazy Duty and customs charges. I was thinking about having them shipped to Blaine then pick them up and take them accorss the border myself. I dont really care about paying the tax, I just dont want to pay the crazy UPS brokerage charges. Anyone used Security mail Services?.

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
A good friend of mine does this all the time, though he uses point roberts.

It costs like $2 CDN for the service. Just put your name on the package but put the address of the Letter Carrier and then go pick it up when it arrives.

www.thelettercarrier.com

·
Boostin'
146 Posts
I use the letter carrier all the time. The place looks real messy and disorganized, but they always have my stuff and I've never had a problem with them.

·
Registered
899 Posts
"ship happens"

but IMHO i don't have the time to take off work to go pick up the stuff. So i try and use Postal service or FedEx If you can't convince the seller to generously lower the value and be smart about the description used.

·
ma70-7m=1JZ
2,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
BTW, when is the best time to cross the border with the least waits? I ended up getting my wheels drop shipped to a tire shop in Bellingham, I will go down and pick them up next week. What will I need to get them across the border, will just a reciept be good enough?. I am taking my truck down, so I cant just install themand drive through.

·
Registered
287 Posts
GrimJack said:
A good friend of mine does this all the time, though he uses point roberts.

It costs like $2 CDN for the service. Just put your name on the package but put the address of the Letter Carrier and then go pick it up when it arrives.

www.thelettercarrier.com
I've been using this place for awhile now and have had no problems, if you ask the shipper to label your phone number on the package ( Call # upon arrival) they'll even call you when it arrives.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Another bump for the Letter Carrier, used to use them all the time and it was great because theres never a line up at Pt Roberts.

Randy, use the 264th st Border crossing, Aldergroove. Its usually much less busy then the Peace Arch or the truck crossing and it turns into the 539 hwy as soon as you cross the border and that takes you directly to Bellingham. It can be hit or miss for border traffic. I crossed at the truck crossing a few weeks ago around 10-11 in the morning on a tuesday and I pretty much just drove right up to the gate. Did the same thing one week later at the same time and I sat for 45 minutes. Aldergroove/Lyndon crossing should be alot better. A receipt from the seller should be enough, just make sure they distinguish the price of the rims from the shipping charge or they'll ding you on both.

·
ma70-7m=1JZ
2,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Tire rack.com doesnt ship to mailbox type places, to homes and businesses only. Thanks for the good info, I am sure other people have been wondering about this stuff too.

·
Registered
941 Posts
How would they know with the letter carrier? The address looks like a normal house address. Most of the autox guys up here used to get their tires from the tire rack.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts