Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
ƒ=1/2π(√k/m)
10,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Scrolling through exvitermini, I found them using a heat bag... and I really want to do this.. have you seen any MK3s with one?

·
Go All Electric
1,183 Posts
Nope. Do it. LMK where to get one too. I was figuring that I would just coat and wrap anything that I could.

·
Registered
6,907 Posts
I've heard that these type of things can cause accelerated corrosion (mostly with regard to wrapping the exhaust, so maybe the thicker turbo housing isn't as vulnerable).

L

·
0 Posts
just powder coat that bag to match your engine bay and bam instant sexy

·
Canada, Eh?
2,397 Posts
powdercoat will fall off at high temps....

as for exhaust wrap, for the DP etc acclerating corrosion, thats why they sell silicon spray. you wrap it, then spray ti, makes it waterproof. any water trapped on teh inside of the wrap will evaporate [pretty quickly when the engines on...

·
Canada, Eh?
2,397 Posts
it says its only for use on the wrap, so im not sure if it would work with teh blanket on teh turbo....

·
when this baby hits 88mph
2,198 Posts
hahaha that looks like a turbo shower cap.
yeah it will help hold in heat which will accelerate flow. ive used tons of that heat wrap- i dunno how much "performance" i really gained but it sure did cut down underhood temps.
as far as the corrosion- yes if you put it on bare (untreated) metal it will rust faster. the wrap holds the moisture in it. but if you use the wrap spray it will make it waterproof as said. im not so sure it would withstand the exh housing tho- that gets a lot hotter than the dp. best thing to do is get the exh housing ceramic coated then the shower cap. that would really hold in heat and you wouldnt have to worry bout corrosion. but ceramic coating isnt cheap. thats why most ppl use the cheaper shower cap.
HTH

dave

·
Canada, Eh?
2,397 Posts
you should see some local cars.... some guy was going to powdercoat his new header for his honda....

·
Registered
6,475 Posts
powder coating is done by applying an electrical positive charge to the part and the gun has the negative. Electrostatic :)

If it is not metal. It is not happening ;)

·
Can't touch this!
1,404 Posts
I think those bags are the ugliest pieces of crap. Honestly it would be smarter to just get your stuff ceramic coated cus man those things are gross lookin in an engine bay!

Just my 0.02 cents

Jason

D

·
0 Posts
The guy who runs "exvitermini" has put alot more time & money into researching turbo applications then you 2PHAT4U. In the 7 digit figure I believe. I don't think "ceramic coating" is the answer to everything. Function over form 'eh?

·
Certified Supra Nut :P
2,001 Posts
dhs said:
The guy who runs "exvitermini" has put alot more time & money into researching turbo applications then you 2PHAT4U. In the 7 digit figure I believe. I don't think "ceramic coating" is the answer to everything. Function over form 'eh?
Dude ... calm down. He was just sayin that it's ugly. That's his opinion.

Personaly, I think it's kinda ugly too. I don;t think I'd do it. The most bennificial thing would be to both ceramic coat it and to bag it. Though ceramics technology has come a long way. Pipe can be coated as such that they can carry gases in the 1600 degree range and the pipe's exterior can be almost cool enough to touch. Not sure if I want to be hte one to try, but that stuff work's really well. hence the reason why almost evey part of the engine is ceramic coated. The chrome stuiff doesn't work as well as the white stuff BTW. The chrome is more asthetic though, therefore, more popular. Mine's white though, as I wanted the maximum in thermal efficiency.

On the topic though, that bag isn't a bad idea, mostly becasue it looks like it would be easy to take on and off. So at the car show, you can take it off and look pretty, but at the drag strip, you can put it back on, and bennifit from the increased thermal efficiency. Win win if you ask me :D

·
Can't touch this!
1,404 Posts
Man your a friggin tard! Do a little research before you post something stupid like that! You obviuosly know nothing about what you are talkin abooot so stay off the thread noob!

Back on topic: I think they are ugly! Plain and simple! There is nothing wrong with ceramic coating, it serves its purpose well and have never had any problems with it!

Later

Jason

·
ƒ=1/2π(√k/m)
10,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ugly or not, not really an issue.

Accelerated corrosion is a problem I didn't think of.

I've seen many people not even have heat shields. / But I think the heat blanket is a great idea, from the weight, to the sure idea of it.

So does the silicon spray "condition" the exhaust housing?

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
I've got warp on my DP and two layers of shielding wired to my exhaust housing. IMO it's possible for the wrap to shield better than the ceramic if it's done right. Ceramic is NOT the answer to everything ;)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts