Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Part of the MSB club
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like the title says, I'm looking for anyone who is using the HKS Racing Type II BOV on their Supra. I'd prefer that it would be someone that has the BOV on a BPU car or had it on their car when it was BPU, APU guys can chime in too though. I just have a question about the BOV, will it work on a BPU car or a car running lower boost, or is it made for higher boost applications like cars that are singled? I love the sound of the BOV and my car is BPU and I want to get it, but I'm just not sure if the BOV will work on my car because of the lower boost level. Anyone have any insight on this? LMK.

Thanks,
Mike

·
aKa Blk96SupraTT
3,866 Posts
I dont think it will work. From what i read you need to be at a decent hp level to use it like over 500hp. I dont think BPU will be worth it. BPU dont sound like it will be pushing enought pressure to make it go off.

·
Boost Junkie
12,638 Posts
Email Dusty at MVP or ask him. He can tell you weather or not it will work at your power levels. I am using one, but I am APU. I really like it. It is the best sounding BOV in my opinion.

Steve

·
BPU is so 1997
5,349 Posts
I dont think it will work. From what i read you need to be at a decent hp level to use it like over 500hp. I dont think BPU will be worth it. BPU dont sound like it will be pushing enought pressure to make it go off.
I don't think it knows if you are making 200HP or 2,000HP.

I am using it in addition to the stocker.

·
Part of the MSB club
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't think it knows if you are making 200HP or 2,000HP.

I am using it in addition to the stocker.
I'm guessing you're still on stock twins if you're using it in addition to the stocker? I know its not supposed to be like the SSQV where it will blow off at like 1 or 2 psi, but it still works fine with like 14 or 15 psi right?

·
iSketch Master!
9,044 Posts
I have heard from other people that below 17-18lbs it prob won't open. I don't know for sure. It would be better suited to a higher boost app though.

Alex

·
Track Junkie
1,581 Posts
I have heard from other people that below 17-18lbs it prob won't open. I don't know for sure. It would be better suited to a higher boost app though.

Alex
I don't find that to be true, it works pretty well for me even with 14lbs. However mine is single turbo 6spd.

·
Part of the MSB club
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Do you think it is at all possible to get a different spring that isn't as stiff?

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
I've had the HKS racing bov type 2 on my BPU supra before. it works well either at stock boost or 18 psi. I had it in with a stock BOV as well.

·
Registered
496 Posts
The HKS Racing type 2's diaphram is connected only to the vacuum source, so it really doesn't matter if you're boosting 2lbs or 30lbs, it'll open just the same when there's enough vacuum to overcome the spring.

·
Part of the MSB club
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The HKS Racing type 2's diaphram is connected only to the vacuum source, so it really doesn't matter if you're boosting 2lbs or 30lbs, it'll open just the same when there's enough vacuum to overcome the spring.
So how much vacuum does it take to overcome that spring? Would there be a way to put a "softer" spring?

·
Registered
496 Posts
So how much vacuum does it take to overcome that spring? Would there be a way to put a "softer" spring?
I'm not sure what vacuum level would open the valve. You could test it by hooking up the control line to a good vacuum pump and see how much vacuum it takes on the stock spring. I tried this, but I had a crappy pump which couldn't open the valve. You could change the spring, but it would probably be difficult to find one which would be suitable. (I wouldn't know where to begin looking) Also with a lighter spring the valve would probably open under light cruise and idle conditions as well. If you had the outlet of the BOV rerouted back into the intake this probably wouldn't be a big deal, but if you didn't the engine would be drawing unfiltered air in through the BOV.

·
Part of the MSB club
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm not sure what vacuum level would open the valve. You could test it by hooking up the control line to a good vacuum pump and see how much vacuum it takes on the stock spring. I tried this, but I had a crappy pump which couldn't open the valve. You could change the spring, but it would probably be difficult to find one which would be suitable. (I wouldn't know where to begin looking) Also with a lighter spring the valve would probably open under light cruise and idle conditions as well. If you had the outlet of the BOV rerouted back into the intake this probably wouldn't be a big deal, but if you didn't the engine would be drawing unfiltered air in through the BOV.
This BOV isn't set up like the SSQV right?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts