Supra Forums banner

Anyone using the Exedy Triple disk?

3K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  Steve Theodore 
#1 ·
What's pedal effort like? Is it on/off like the HKS triple? We're looking for a clutch for the IS300 (6 Speed swap). Power wise, we are shooting for between 7-800 RWHP. Streetability is important as my girlfriend will be driving it daily. Thanks in advance!

Ryan

G
#2 ·
I'm on RPS Carbon/Carbon making 700+ on high boost and it's holding perfectly. Daily driver (I do it)..Raise idle to 1k rpm and your fine with noise (chatter). Pedal engagement is high, but honestly i drive this thing in heavy traffic stop and go some times and I have NO problem sitting and slipping the clutch, been on the car for 15k without issue, checked the plates, looks brand new. I'm curious on the exedy setup though. I like tilton but have YET TO SEE ANYONE COMMENT ON LONG JEVITY. Sure it holds up in racing but I want to know how it holds on a daily driven car.

#4 ·
Exedy is supposed to make clutches for HKS so Exedy triple and HKS triple should be about the same...
What would be an alternative to the HKS triple or Exedy triple? Not looking at Carbon/Carbon.:)

#5 ·
randy said:
Exedy is supposed to make clutches for HKS so Exedy triple and HKS triple should be about the same...
What would be an alternative to the HKS triple or Exedy triple? Not looking at Carbon/Carbon.:)
If you want a strong left leg, go with the OS Giken tri :angel:
The Girls just love my big strong leg i have got from this clutch :rolleyes:

#6 ·
I know what BLKMGK's Exedy twin disk feels like, I've driven it ;) Amazing low pedal effort (like stock!), very slippable and apparently is holding up quite well so far. However, I don't know anyone who has pushed that clutch past 700 ATW with more than a couple trips to the dragstrip. The "sleeper" we are building is going to require some trips to the strip for a return on our sponsor's investment. HOWEVER, ultimately, we own the car and it's not going of the road as a race only car. As I said, my girlfriend will be driving it 6~8 miles a day through some stop and go. Pedal effort is a concern as my she wasn't wild about the RPS Stage 3 (IV?) in the Supra. To be honest, neither was I for driving in traffic. The RPS Carbon/Carbon or the Tilton sound great, but over $3000 for a clutch alone is out of our budget. The HKS triple being related to the Exedy triple makes sense, now that I think about it. With the new slave cylinder pushrod, any thoughs on pedal effort/driveability?

Thanks,

Ryan

#9 ·
Ryan23 said:
I know what BLKMGK's Exedy twin disk feels like, I've driven it ;) Amazing low pedal effort (like stock!), very slippable and apparently is holding up quite well so far. However, I don't know anyone who has pushed that clutch past 700 ATW with more than a couple trips to the dragstrip. The "sleeper" we are building is going to require some trips to the strip for a return on our sponsor's investment. HOWEVER, ultimately, we own the car and it's not going of the road as a race only car. As I said, my girlfriend will be driving it 6~8 miles a day through some stop and go. Pedal effort is a concern as my she wasn't wild about the RPS Stage 3 (IV?) in the Supra. To be honest, neither was I for driving in traffic. The RPS Carbon/Carbon or the Tilton sound great, but over $3000 for a clutch alone is out of our budget. The HKS triple being related to the Exedy triple makes sense, now that I think about it. With the new slave cylinder pushrod, any thoughs on pedal effort/driveability?

Thanks,

The Hks triple is probably the harshest clutch one could put in the supra. Just an FYI that pushrod that is soppused to make the triple driveable came with my kit for no extra charge. I still have the hks clutch sitting in my garage with only 3000 miles. I just broke my Rps carbon carbon with only about 7000 miles.
Ryan

#13 ·
Ryan,

Hey bud...

Listen to T51rmkiv on this one... He had the triple, Jimmy had the triple and Fledis on here had the triple. That clutch is retarded with or without the slave cylinder... Not to mention how hard it is on the drivetrain... i.e when you bang through the gears, it sounds similar to getting rear-ended. lol Cowboy bebop is the only person I've ever heard talk about this clutch in a positive manner. If you can fork it out go with the Tilton... nice stock pedal and easy as hell to drive in traffic. I would opt for the heavier flywheel though.... if your going to be drag racing. It will take some getting use to... also you may want to look into a 3.5" carbon driveshaft with this clutch.:)

Matt

#14 ·
M Miller said:
Ryan,

Hey bud...

Listen to T51rmkiv on this one... He had the triple, Jimmy had the triple and Fledis on here had the triple. That clutch is retarded with or without the slave cylinder... Not to mention how hard it is on the drivetrain... i.e when you bang through the gears, it sounds similar to getting rear-ended. lol Cowboy bebop is the only person I've ever heard talk about this clutch in a positive manner. If you can fork it out go with the Tilton... nice stock pedal and easy as hell to drive in traffic. I would opt for the heavier flywheel though.... if your going to be drag racing. It will take some getting use to... also you may want to look into a 3.5" carbon driveshaft with this clutch.:)

Matt
Matt -
Thanks for the input. At the time, I was more or less wondering if the Exedy was in the same boat as the HKS with regards to pedal effort and on/of nature. Anyways, this post was from a month ago, we've since changed our minds and are going with a TH400 :lol:. By the way, the Supra has been sold, this is in the IS300 :D Have you changed your mind on selling yours?

Ryan

#15 · (Edited)
Ryan,
Have you looked into the Blitz Active clutch? I've heard excellent reports on that too. If I remember correctly one was @ 600+rwtq and the other 700 rwtq. Not positive....
I do remember them saying it was just like stock. No idea on drag racing it.

"I have driven both the Blitz twin disk and an HKS triple. The Blitz is easier to drive than a stock honda clutch, but it does make noise when the clutch is in. The HKS is hell to drive. I would totally reconmend the Blitz, plus it has held 600rwtq for over a year and a half."

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.