Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
on vacation
3,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
bastard...bleh...anyways...I'll try this again...

Okay...number one...it wasn't the Group A...it's the Turbo R. Basically who wants a Turbo R?

If you're a car buff and know anything about Bill Gates you know he's got one of a VERY FEW US DOT street legal 1988 959 KKK Porsches. This is how he got them...which would apply to our very own Turbo R...

http://www.autoweek.com/cat_content...verstory&loc_code=index&content_code=09282484

·
25psi = 14" brakes :)
2,306 Posts
:tiwwop:

·
Go All Electric
1,183 Posts
"The engine produces 575 hp at 6000 rpm, and 501 lb-ft of torque at 4500 rpm. The stock 959 made 450 hp at 6500 rpm and 380 lb-ft at 5500 rpm. Full boost of 1.4 bar occurs at just 1500 rpm. "

THAT is HOT! FAST spool ... LARGE NUMBERS. AWD. Yum.

215mph top speed, 0-60 in 3.3 etc etc ..... that car OWNS.

I had heard of the 1988 959 ... but I have never heard of them in the states and or modified. Thanks for the link. Best regards.

P.S ... pretty much .... Off Topic.

·
on vacation
3,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Actually I was posting this here in reference to the MKIII Supra only...as proof that certain models, such as the limited production Turbo R, could be brought over here legally. You could load one up on a boat...bring it stateside...and no one would be able to stop you. The Porsche is just an example...

But so far it just applies to the Turbo R...how many Group A cars were made?

·
on vacation
3,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just to point out...I would have put this here to begin with...but I thought I was talking about Group A supes...:p

·
Registered
376 Posts
You'll never get the Turbo A or Turbo R's into the US because of EPA. By the time you do all the custom work to make one legal for emissions you'll have spent so much you should just buy a MkIV ... maybe two of them. And besides, nobody in DOT will sign off on a Toyota being "rare" (Trust me, I've already called to see what it would take, and they shot it down that they don't care about Toyota's, just Porsche, Ferrari's, and a few others)

·
on vacation
3,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Actually...they can't do anything about it...they can not stop you. The Turbo R's production and specs fall under the protection of that bill.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Ahh no, I'm not from your Country but reading that article it states that it must have a limited run of 500 cars or less as one of the rules.. The TwinTurbo R was not a limited run. There were more than 500 of them made. However if everything else is right then you should be able to import the Turbo A as they were a limited run of 500 cars due to homoglation rules for Group A touring car races.

·
on vacation
3,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I thought the Group A was the limited run...but someone told me the Turbo R was the limited one...

So this does apply to the Group A...

·
Registered
343 Posts
Wow, someone with a legal background should look into this more closely... I'm sure there are numerous JDM and Euro cars that had limited runs that would sell like crazy in the US.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Group A = RACE Car made by TRD (11 made) more info here
http://www.turbosupras.com/pages/specifications/MA70GA/ma70ga.htm

Turbo A = The street car that was homoglated for the Group A (basicaly this car was made so the Supra could run in the Touring Car Champinship) (500 made to pass homoglation)

TwinTurbo R = 1JZGTE powered car, optioned to Momo and Recaros with Bilstein Suspention, NOT a limited run over 5000 made.

Turbo S = 7MGTE Powered Supra, not much different to the normal MA71's other than a could of options like Sunroof.

Please Note: All the above cars (Except the Group A) were only sold to the local Japanese market.

·
Registered
343 Posts
So does anyone know if this is actually possible to do with non-exotic cars?

·
Registered
568 Posts
Hmm I didnt know about the turbo S. AFAIK the JDM 7M-GTE powered models were(going by the JDM brochures I have)

3.0GT and
3.0GT Limited ( and no this wasnt a limited edition Toyota just called the top of the range model limited, even with starlets and soarers)

But I bet the Jap EPC may shed more light. But IIRD the turbo S was a 1G-GTE model, not sure

·
Your Neighborhood Pikey
3,341 Posts
I actually saw a Turbo R for sale a couple of years ago at NOPI. I have pics of it if you guys would like to see it....

- Hams.

·
Your Neighborhood Pikey
3,341 Posts
Well,
Here's the pics anyhow... I figured you guys might like to see this...

Enjoy!

- Hams.

·
Registered
562 Posts
here are some pics of my shop's RHD car. It was turbo R but we swapped out the interior for a more comfortable one. It is street legal too.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts