Supra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm interested in getting one and just wondering what impressions current owner's of this product have. also looking for the best price so could you also post a good place to buy one from.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I got one with the LED display and datalogging options. Not cheap, but IMHO, a very nice thing to have. I've got an SP57 with the SP Fuel (750cc & dual Walbro FP), VPC and SAFC.

I got mine in a group buy through Steve H. I just got an email that he can now get individual units at the group price. I'll PM you the price and Steve's e mail.

BTW, I turned up the boost last Saturday for the first time with race gas (1.6 kg/cm2) and then noticed the car running super rich at idle on the FJO. My initial reaction was that the FJO was wrong but *then* I noticed the car wasn't idling or running well. Turned out that I just popped one of the small diameter hoses on the manifold pressure to the VPC and other (boost gauge and factory) pressure sensors. But the FJO was the *first* indication I had. It also allowed me to lean out the fuel safely at idle and let me know to keep the rpms low to avoid running lean. The popped hose caused the VPC to read;
- a high pressure at idle (manifold < atmospheric) which made the ECU think the engine had more air than it did resulting in it running very rich (<10)
- a low pressure under boost (manifold > atmosphere) which made the ECU think the engine had less air than it did resulting in very lean.

I was very happy I had the FJO when it happened. It combined with the SAFC and a litlle caution made the car safely driveable.

·
Supra OG
1,002 Posts
Mike_Austin said:
I got one with the LED display and datalogging options. Not cheap, but IMHO, a very nice thing to have. I've got an SP57 with the SP Fuel (750cc & dual Walbro FP), VPC and SAFC.

I got mine in a group buy through Steve H. I just got an email that he can now get individual units at the group price. I'll PM you the price and Steve's e mail.

BTW, I turned up the boost last Saturday for the first time with race gas (1.6 kg/cm2) and then noticed the car running super rich at idle on the FJO. My initial reaction was that the FJO was wrong but *then* I noticed the car wasn't idling or running well. Turned out that I just popped one of the small diameter hoses on the manifold pressure to the VPC and other (boost gauge and factory) pressure sensors. But the FJO was the *first* indication I had. It also allowed me to lean out the fuel safely at idle and let me know to keep the rpms low to avoid running lean. The popped hose caused the VPC to read;
- a high pressure at idle (manifold < atmospheric) which made the ECU think the engine had more air than it did resulting in it running very rich (<10)
- a low pressure under boost (manifold > atmosphere) which made the ECU think the engine had less air than it did resulting in very lean.

I was very happy I had the FJO when it happened. It combined with the SAFC and a litlle caution made the car safely driveable.

Do you have a pic of the display in the car?

Thanks,
Andi

·
Registered
575 Posts
Not yet Andi. I'll try to take one this weekend. I've got a lot crammed into the glove compartment courtesy of Chris J here in Austin.

Top left is VPC with SAFC immediately below. Fits well but tightly.
EVC-EZ top right with the FJO LED display below it on the modified SAFC bracket and angled towards the driver.

Only other stuff is a Greddy 60 mm boost gauge with pk/hold & warning fully recessed into the factory clock position (Chris J did it the same as his car) and a Greddy 60 mm EGT pk/hold & warning in an A pillar single pod mount. All looks very clean...at least with the glove compartment closed :)

So when are you coming down our way? Been reading your escapades & would be nice to meet you.

Here's a link to some good info on the FJO & options along with some pics.

http://www.alamomotorsports.com/fjo_wideband.html

Only thing to watch out for is the cable lengths are relatively short and I don't think extending the controller to O2 sensor link is recommended. I think Chris buried the controller in with ECU.

·
Supra OG
1,002 Posts
Mike_Austin said:
Not yet Andi. I'll try to take one this weekend. I've got a lot crammed into the glove compartment courtesy of Chris J here in Austin.

Top left is VPC with SAFC immediately below. Fits well but tightly.
EVC-EZ top right with the FJO LED display below it on the modified SAFC bracket and angled towards the driver.

Only other stuff is a Greddy 60 mm boost gauge with pk/hold & warning fully recessed into the factory clock position (Chris J did it the same as his car) and a Greddy 60 mm EGT pk/hold & warning in an A pillar single pod mount. All looks very clean...at least with the glove compartment closed :)

So when are you coming down our way? Been reading your escapades & would be nice to meet you.

Here's a link to some good info on the FJO & options along with some pics.

http://www.alamomotorsports.com/fjo_wideband.html

Only thing to watch out for is the cable lengths are relatively short and I don't think extending the controller to O2 sensor link is recommended. I think Chris buried the controller in with ECU.
Thanks for the input... I want a wideband too but I am waiting for FJO to hopefully realize that a 60mm gauge like Greddy's is the way to go...

I don't know if I will have a chance to come by the Austin scene before Tx2k2... afterwards is more likely.

See you at Tx2k2,
Andi

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Andi,

Steve Hayes has modified his FJO display to be a quite a bit smaller, and can tell you how to do so. The way it is now, it is too big to permenently keep in the car IMO.

BTW, my FJO indicates lean WAAAY before the EGT gauge does.

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
Andi,

I'll e-mail you a pic of the display in the dash. IMO, the digital readout is definitely better than the GReddy type gauge. I have both in my car. The AFR changes so fast that the gauge can't keep up -- it'd just be a blurr. With the digital readout you can differentiate between the numbers down to a decimal point pretty easily. I think it changes 8X per second, but you can see the numbers pretty clearly. For example, if you're in the 11s and you see a 12.4 flash up there, it just sticks in your brain. And, with the display mounted where mine is, you can watch the tach and display at the same time. It's a good system and now that I've gotten used to it I wouldn't push my car hard at all without it.

Steve

Andi said:

Thanks for the input... I want a wideband too but I am waiting for FJO to hopefully realize that a 60mm gauge like Greddy's is the way to go...

I don't know if I will have a chance to come by the Austin scene before Tx2k2... afterwards is more likely.

See you at Tx2k2,
Andi

X

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just bought the FJO wideband for tuning purposes. I'm not planning on leaving it my car however; i'm only going to use it when tuning my ECU. Likewise, i'd like to tune other peoples' cars. I've tuned a friend's car, but he had to go and get a bung installed in his exhaust. Have any of you messed around with any tail-pipe probes or whatnot for easy installation/removal?

-Xerxes

1 - 8 of 8 Posts