Supra Forums banner

Anything negative about getting a Greddy 3row FMIC for BPU car??

1K views 12 replies 3 participants last post by  pwpanas 
G
#1 ·
Just wondering. . . someone has to have some insight!!!

G
#3 ·
Dyno sheets might show otherwise but on the road there does not seem to be too much difference between the Greddy or S Type. From my experience, Supra's with the FMIC have a bit more top end but its not a night and day difference.

Do you think the Greddy sidemount might be as effective as the FMIC up to around 480-500hp? It sure would be less expensive if bought used.

#4 ·
the hks type s is almost half the thickness of the greddy. actually on the dyno numbers with a fmic wont be very much effected, really only if you had a boost leak or something like that. but on the road when theres air being forced into the fmic, thats where it will make a difference. my car pulled a lot harder after i had my fmic at bpu. the type-s can be used on a small single, like the sp57 or sp60..but after that it will be a restriction. the greddy kit comes with all polished pipes, new overflow tank and bracket to mount it, all the couplings and eveything, while the type-s doesnt come with all the piping, the piping isnt polished, you have to spend an extra $50 on a new overflow tank. i did lots of research before i bought mine and it all lead up to the greddy being the best choice.

G
#6 ·
4 row

IMHO i think the greddy 4 row is overkill..even with a single..unless it's a T88 making 900 rwhp..hell.."walser" and SW are using greddy 3 row intercoolers..both are making 800+ hp. I think that's the best bang for the buck.

G
#7 ·
anyways..about your question

FMIC have a lot to do with your climate..if you live in an area such as mine with hot summer climates..a FMIC will benefit you greatly especially above 18psi. It's much needed because you can definetely feel the powerloss with a stock fmic in the heat of the day. However..with the FMIC in place..you feel that power revived.

#8 ·
Re: 4 row

1_MAD_DAWG said:
IMHO i think the greddy 4 row is overkill..even with a single..unless it's a T88 making 900 rwhp..hell.."walser" and SW are using greddy 3 row intercoolers..both are making 800+ hp. I think that's the best bang for the buck.
NB: Just because someone makes xxx horsepower with xxx intercooler, it doesn't mean that that intercooler is ideally suited for that application or that horsepower level. For some applications (eg. 1000+rwhp drag racing), the GReddy 4-row isn't big enough! GReddy designed the 3-row for the oem twins and the 4-row for a single turbo.

G
#9 ·
if im not mistaken

If im not mistaken..the side mount was created by greddy for stock twins..the 3 row could be used with either or combination of single and stock twins..the 3 row can definetely handle more power than 700 hp, even the hks type s can handle about 550 etc etc..and the 3 row has a much larger surface area than the type s. I wasn't speaking of 1000 hp cars..because chances are most people on the board are either single and stock twins...in between 600 and 900 rwhp. im speaking from experience when i say the 4 row is over kill..buddy of mine has a T78. He used to run a 4 row but it was too big..

#11 ·
Phil,

I knew the day would come when I would finally disagree with you on something... ;) ;)

I respectfully disagree. In my opinion the 3-row is big enough for street applications. For those that want to make really big power, i.e. Bryce, Darren, Saadomy, Guilly, and you, a 4 row might be warranted as long as you're not going to road race... but for any < = 700rwhp application I'd get the 3-row without a second thought.

Just my $.02....

Andi

#12 ·
Andi said:
In my opinion the 3-row is big enough for street applications.
I don't disagree that the 3-row will work adequately for <= 700rwhp 'street applications'. I just find it strange that GReddy built the 3-row for oem twins (this was the only kit you could get with the 3-row for a very long time when it came out) and the 4-row for the T-78 (& T-88). I know of several T-78's that aren't pushing over 700rwhp. On the other hand, I'd bet more than a wooden nickel that any mkiv drag racer putting down over 650rwhp would benefit from the 4-row.

For those that want to make really big power... a 4 row might be warranted as long as you're not going to road race... but for any < = 700rwhp application I'd get the 3-row without a second thought.
I guess this means that no 700+rwhp cars road race. Until I get my car on the track, I'll have to defer to your expertise on this subject. :devil:

#13 ·
ruup2it said:
I think what Andi meant for tack use, is that there would be a substantial amount of air blocking to the radiator. Some people may be against FMIC for track use, let alone a 4 row as opposed to the 3 row.
Fwiw, I also agree that the ideal setup for roadracing is dual-smic (with brake-ducting of course).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.