Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking of selling my car and getting something else here for the past few weeks. I've come to the conclusion; which I knew from the start, Supra's own. I thought about a C5 but their are sooooo many. Then maybe a 03 Cobra but it's still a V8 Mustang (not to hate on C5's or Mustangs; just saying). But my question is has anyone elce noticed this the hard way. I/E bought a car then sold it to buy another MKIV? I've heard of several Viper guys going Supra-Viper-Supra..

Thanks, Nick

(Just an idea post, if it was abad one feel free to delete)

·
T88 YOU
3,567 Posts
i dont know but the ass in your avatar is niiiiiiiice.... i like 03 cobras, will probablly a future car of mine, but i am strongly against chevy dont ask me why i will never own a vette! i will own supras for the rest of my life, probablly multiple ones one day, its been my favorite car since i was 12. IMO nothing really compares to a supra in ALL categories, if it is a comparable car it is either more expensive or doesnt handle as well or there are tons of them out there, etc.... if you have a supra you know you have something rare...

·
Very Senior Member
10,054 Posts
MK41DAY said:
...... But my question is has anyone elce noticed this the hard way. I/E bought a car then sold it to buy another MKIV? I've heard of several Viper guys going Supra-Viper-Supra..

I think it happens a lot.
But there are some other good choices - just that most of them don't have the potential or rarity of the MkIV.

·
Registered
65 Posts
can someone tell me the numbers for MK4s? People talk about the rarity of them but for a factory car what kind of production numbers were there? And more importantly, how many are in this country?

Blizz I think your comparison would be a celica with a supra engine in it... the skyline would be a replacement

·
Ex-hardtopper
1,920 Posts

·
Bench Racer of the Year
692 Posts
...Nick! You traitor! You know Derek just went Supra-Viper-Supra (though he doesn’t own a Supra again YET). There is nothing else out there that is as good as a Supra. There are some rare cars, such as the Gallant VR4, but they aren’t much of a performance machine.

Just fix the MKIV and get her back on the road.

Brian

·
Registered
6,785 Posts
Viper IMO is in the same class(prices used, potential, rarity, etc..). Cant go wrong with either of those. I wouldnt get another vette, thats just my oppinion on them. An 03 cobra, you still end up with a car that 99% of the american public cant tell from a basemodel v6. I would go with a 03 saleen(or gt converted saleen) before I would an 03. That or saleen the cobra, one of the two.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Mustang=unrefined... I came from the Mustang camp, and wouldn't trade my 700hp Supra for my 1000rwhp mustang+$10k. Don't do the 03, and def. not the C5... If you HAVE to get rid of the Supra, go Viper...but you'll probably be back!

·
Registered
3,326 Posts
Things ive thought about:

c6 corvette (probably a z06 only) - although common, it is pretty and has great peformance
porsche carrera (at least an S) = great reputation; girls get wet over it
bmw m3 - nice car, but ive disposed of potentially trading when i realized how expensive it is to modify

·
Registered
484 Posts
those are good choices as well. The Porsche is sexy as hell, the M3's are beautiful, luxurious cars, however slow... And the C6, well, to each his own. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Okay so we have some maybe's. Now what if I throw in $. Something to compare to the MKIV and have the same price sticker?

:)

·
Registered
65 Posts
since you throw the M3 in to the Mix have you thought about a C32 or a C55? C32 is a supercharged 6 hand built in germany, the C55 is the 5.4 liter. The C32 would prolly be significantly cheaper to mod because of the supercharger thats already mounted to it.

As far as the C55/M3 comparo, both the C32 and the C55 will walk the M3 past 80. Up to that point the two cars are dead even in straight aways. You may also want to look at the CLK55 and SLK55...

If you have any questions on some of the AMG stuff check out AMGpower.com

·
Boost4fun
1,848 Posts
But I think the C32 will be at the end of the "BPU" limits at around 400RWHP. A friend of mine has one and I could go head to head with him even with the OEM cats in and with 1.1 bar...
But it´s definitely a nice kinda sleeper and agreat all day ride:)
Unfortunately there are no Audi RS4s over there in the States. Would be also a hell of a car:) :)
Gerd

·
Very Senior Member
10,054 Posts
slither said:
Viper IMO is in the same class(prices used, potential, rarity, etc..). .......
Nah - the main difference is that you can go out and buy a new Viper at a dealer now, and you can't do that with a Supra. I don't know the numbers but it sure seems like there are a lot more Vipers than MkIV's. I read in one spot that there were 9500 Vipers sold by 1998, so there would be many more now.

·
Registered
6,785 Posts
VickSupra said:
Nah - the main difference is that you can go out and buy a new Viper at a dealer now, and you can't do that with a Supra. I don't know the numbers but it sure seems like there are a lot more Vipers than MkIV's. I read in one spot that there were 9500 Vipers sold by 1998, so there would be many more now.
Yea, definatly gotta agree with most of what you wrote. I was mainly talking about what car I would trade for. Yea, more vipers on the road forsure, but damn things get more looks than a supra does, LOL

·
Registered
46 Posts
I sold my MkIv because I needed cash and it was paid for. I regret selling it...

I bought a Viper because it was similar HP - but right out of the box, so I could finance 500hp rather than coming up with extra cash for mods.

I moved on to a newer Viper to get a better color, as well as get the Coupe. I love my Viper! But I still miss my SupDawg and have been starting to look at acquiring another...

The only other car I seriously considered was a 911 - but the sticker on the TT is well beyond the Viper. A Ford GT would be freakin awesome, but again, it's nearly 2x the price of a Viper.

Vipers do not hold their value like the MkIV does - although the MkIV is unique in that regard.

I have 550hp under factory warranty, and I was able to finance the whole damn thing, which was important to me. I can't get that from a Supra, as much as I like them...

Hope that helps.

·
Alpine Hardtopper
1,097 Posts
Viper does have a ton of potential. No question there. In my case, I have to occasionally seat three in the Supra though. Rear passenger sits behind me with legs sticking through between the seats. Fairly comfortable (or so I hear) for trips under 1/2 hour.

When I looked at potential replacements that still seat 3, I came up with:
BMW M3, or one of the factory turbo 330i's (or 335i?) that's supposed to come out next year. There's the ~2000 BMW M5. Several people have done forced induction....big drawback was the price of engine parts when things went south :eek:( I guess there's the option to import a R34, but those are still about double or more what a Supra costs. In a few years we'll also have the new GT-R, but it's still pretty hush-hush about what drivetrain will be in it.

I currently have a G35x, and if I could get a twin turbo setup for it, and a manual transmission....it's not a 1/2 bad car. Nothing compared to the Supra, but much nicer to drive around each day.

·
Registered
6,785 Posts
Arent the 93-94 vipers still knocking pretty close to 30grand?

1 - 20 of 78 Posts