Supra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody have it . How is it compared to stock. How much does it lower 100-0.

F

·
0 Posts
les said:
Does anybody have it . How is it compared to stock. How much does it lower 100-0.
The stock brakes are very good. You wont lower your 100-0 time by running bigger brakes, however you will be able to keep a more constant stopping distance over many back-to-back 100-0 tests with larger brakes.

If you want to improve your 100-0 time, run stickier tires, thats your only option.

Unless your doing club racing, with a gutted car, and 600+hp, you wont gain anything on a supra upgrading to one of the big brake kits.. except pimp factor.

-mike

·
Administrator
17,224 Posts
I don't necessarily agree with the above post where actual performance is concerned, but he does have some things right. The stock Supra TT brakes are indeed very good, but I had a set of the 13" Brembo 4 piston caliper brakes on the front of my last Supra and they were noticeably better than stock in terms of both feel and performance, even at highway speeds.

The main thing you'll gain with one of these aftermarket systems isn't outright 60-0 or 100-0 braking improvement, but rather the ability to withstand more heavy use before fading. Whereas the stock setup may only be good for a few hard laps on a track before starting to fade, a larger aftermarket setup may last you twice as long before fading. All brakes will eventually fade after repeated hard use...probably even Porsche's new ceramic system. :D

Steve T.

F

·
0 Posts
Steve Theodore said:
I don't necessarily agree with the above post where actual performance is concerned, but he does have some things right. The stock Supra TT brakes are indeed very good, but I had a set of the 13" Brembo 4 piston caliper brakes on the front of my last Supra and they were noticeably better than stock in terms of both feel and performance, even at highway speeds.

The main thing you'll gain with one of these aftermarket systems isn't outright 60-0 or 100-0 braking improvement, but rather the ability to withstand more heavy use before fading. Whereas the stock setup may only be good for a few hard laps on a track before starting to fade, a larger aftermarket setup may last you twice as long before fading. All brakes will eventually fade after repeated hard use...probably even Porsche's new ceramic system. :D

Steve T.
So what "performance" was better on the street? There wasnt any.

Its a waste of money for a street car, unless you like the look. You WILL NOT fade the stock brakes on the street. If you do, you should have them checked out, and atleast flush the fluid because something isnt rite.

Feel is very subjective, and for the street there is no reason for it IMO - unless again, you like the look. Nothing wrong with moding for pimp factor if thats your bag, i just want to make sure he knows he wont have any improvement on the street after dropping a couple g's for a big brake kit.

-mike

·
Supra OG
1,002 Posts
Mike,

I agree that you will never fade stock Supra brakes on the street. Toyota did their homework and gave us a badass braking system.

But you don't have to have a gutted 600hp race car to fade them on the track. Some of us drive these cars as god intended, and take them to driving schools / lapping days occasionally. I can pretty easily fade stock brakes on the road course. I have to run an insanely aggressive pad (Hawk Blue) in front to prevent fade, which makes me have to buy rotors every 6 months or so. Luckily the rotors are as cheap as the pads (heh).

If I had 18" wheels to be able to fit the big AP brakes, I would get them in a heartbeat.

Andi

1 - 5 of 5 Posts