Supra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was told the Apex N1 exhaust bolts right up with no problems......ughh, yeah....okay :rolleyes:
Well, I just tried today and the freakin metal hanger that's welded to the muffler is about 4-5 inches forward of the metal hanger set-up that's bolted the the frame of the car (way back by the rear bumper).
Also, the metal hanger that's welded on the Apex muffler is maybe 4inches, and looks nothing like the pics on MVP's site.

Did anyone have to modify the hanger situation at the rear bumper for the Apex N1 (not the GT spec)?
I'm thinking I need to remove and re-weld this hanger that comes on the muffler <------ ??

Thanks!!!!!

sean

·
Ok, ok, maybe 500rwhp!!!
1,185 Posts
You need the bracket that comes with the N1. It won't bolt up to the stock hangers.

Brian

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ahhh crap...I'm missing a piece?!?!

I just bought this used.....I'll need to try and track down this extra piece now.

In the meantime, does anyone have any pics of this piece I need?

thanks,
sean

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
It's just a triangular piece of metal with a hanger welded to it. If I remember right, you have to take the tow hook off also.

·
says
390 Posts
The shithead I got the exhaust from found the piece you are missing =) I'll try to get it from this weekend for you Sean. Sorry about the trouble.

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you so much for the info guys!!!! I KNEW something wasn't right!

Anything else i should know before I freakin shoot somebody tomorrow??

;)

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
On my car with the apexi hanger and donut it came with, the tip would hit the bumper. I went to the auto parts store and got a donut a little bigger so the tip would sit a little lower.

·
Exclusive 1000+ Post Club
3,488 Posts
After you install, be aware of the carbon deposits that may be left from that exhaust on your paint. You may want to put a little extra wax on it.

Joe

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Great, thanks for all the replys....yeah, it looks as though the muffler tip will sit really close once mounted completely :( I'll definitely look into a different rubber hanger.

But while on this subject of hanging the muffler...does the body of the muffler (a littler further forward) scrape the ground at any time? It seems (while on jacks anyway) that it will be the first thing to hit a driveway easily. I have stock springs but sometime in the future (but who knows when) I may lower it. I would think this issue would get worse if I make it hang a tad lower - tip away from bumper :( Double-edged sword or what?

Also, does the pipe from the DP hit the black "X"-looking thingy that's bolted to the floorpan - just before the differential? I think it's a driveshaft "loop" - safety catch for the shaft if the u-joints bust at the diff. I removed it just in case, but now the damn heat shield is dangling by the other 2 bolts, GRRR :(

Bryant, ughhh......how could I actually get this part fom you :eek:

Thanks again everyone.......GREAT help so far ;) ;) ;) ;)

sean

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
LLCoolJ94 said:
After you install, be aware of the carbon deposits that may be left from that exhaust on your paint. You may want to put a little extra wax on it.

Joe
Well, my car is black.....do you think it will still be noticeable?? :(

sean

L

·
0 Posts
Well, my car is black.....do you think it will still be noticeable??
Yea it still will, it will turn your bumper a brown color. Make sure you get something to push it down a bit so it doesnt touch. I getto rigged a bit so it was close but not touching.

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
LBRspyder said:
Yea it still will, it will turn your bumper a brown color. Make sure you get something to push it down a bit so it doesnt touch. I getto rigged a bit so it was close but not touching.

Does anybody know why this doesn't happen with the stock muffler? I've had the stock muffler for 4yrs and haven't had this happen. Why would there be a difference between the stock muffler and an aftermarket muffler?

I've seen the discoloration on white mkiv's so I do know that it happens.

·
Registered
577 Posts
I have a white car, and the N1, and nothing happened. I wouldnt worry about it, my bumper is still as pearl white as the day i bought it. The only thing you might notice is a little smell that goes away after a day or two.

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
brianb said:
You need the bracket that comes with the N1. It won't bolt up to the stock hangers.

Brian

Just an update to my N1 drama......I was sent pics by a friend who lives near me with the N1 exhaust. He did NOT have an extra bracket to hang the muffler with. He hooked his up in less than an hour with stock hangers.

I had to hack up my factory hanger that comes bolted to the frame of the 94, which uses a rubber hanger to connect to the factory muffler (as most of us are aware). Anyway, I cut a hole in the factory hanger so I could rotate it and rebolt it to the frame....this rotation allowed the rubber hanger to finally reach (barely) to the metal hook on the N1's muffler. Yeah, I had to hack shit up to hang my freakin muffler! If the muffler ever jumps off the rubber hanger, then I'll just have to see a muffler shop for a better hacking......but so far I'm good.

I have yet to see any extra hanger that Apex provides....No, I'm not calling anyone a bullshitter, I'm just frustrated that I had to do some hacking just to install this kit to my SPECIAL
94 TT, when another guy tells me he hooked his shit up in 45minutes with factory, 94 Toyota-issue parts :scratch: :dunno:

Even though it's hooked up, I'd still like to see a pic of this Apex hanger addition in case my rig job only works for gentle driving.

Thanks everyone,
sean

·
Ok, ok, maybe 500rwhp!!!
1,185 Posts
Hope this helps

If you can't find the hanger you could get a muffler shop to fabricate a plate, and hanger for you.

Brian

Pics from the same night my N1 went on, Oct. '98:

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well.............slap my balls with a wooden spoon!!!
I think if you would have showed up at my house Saturday with that hook, I would have kissed you :D That hook is PRECISELY what I needed to do my exhaust in less than an hour :p Yeah, this pic is good to have since I can refer to it if my rig doesn't hold up over time........thank you very much for posting it for me Brian!!!
Damn - that pic is a sight for sore eyes :D Just wish I had one just like it!

Thank you everyone!!
sean

1 - 17 of 17 Posts