Supra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Apex'i GT Spec exhaust was installed on Sunday and much to my (pleasant) surprise, it is nowhere near as loud as the N1 at idle or crusing. At WOT, it starts to scream like the N1 and definitely makes it's presence known.

At idle, it has a very low, bassy rumble that could almost be confused with that of the note on a small V8 engine.

Fitment is just about perfect. You might have to play around with the rear rubber hanger to get the exhaust tip to fit precisely in center of the rear bumper cut out.

The Suprastore describes this exhaust as being a "7" on the loud scale, the same as the N1. As somebody who has heard both of these exhausts, there is no way the GT Spec is a 7. I would say it would be more like a 5 if anything.

I just wanted to get that information out in case anybody else was concerned about excess noise.

·
4,417 Posts
Def,

I think the problem is that you came from an RX-7. When I wanted my HKS Ti... everyone said how loud it was. Jeez... Compared to my old 7 with straight through exhaust.. this thing sounds like a Lexus with the windows up! My friend had the Apex GT on his single turbo 7 and it was damn near deafening... rotarys are F*&CK1n6 loud! haha

·
Original Owner
3,975 Posts
wait till you get a downpipe and allow the exhaust to break in, it should be a little bit louder =) , my carbon titanium exhaust isn't as loud as i expected it to be either, a lil on the quiet side...;)

·
Registered
532 Posts
i dont kno what your talkin about..but the n1 and the gt sound almost EXACTLY alike. my friends car and mine were sitting next to each other....we both have dp, he has n1, i have the gt..it does sound great to hear to supra exahust resonating in your ear. there is no difference in sound, maybe the gt is a lil louder at wot, but other than that, i doubt anyone could tell the difference between the 2.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
MyKarIsVicious said:
wait till you get a downpipe and allow the exhaust to break in, it should be a little bit louder =) , my carbon titanium exhaust isn't as loud as i expected it to be either, a lil on the quiet side...;)
Sorry, I should have made the note that I do have a RMM downpipe on my car.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
aznsupra said:
i dont kno what your talkin about..but the n1 and the gt sound almost EXACTLY alike. my friends car and mine were sitting next to each other....we both have dp, he has n1, i have the gt..it does sound great to hear to supra exahust resonating in your ear. there is no difference in sound, maybe the gt is a lil louder at wot, but other than that, i doubt anyone could tell the difference between the 2.
N1 doesn't have a resonator, GT Spec does. The N1 is definitely louder in my opinion.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Jim Swantko said:
Def,

I think the problem is that you came from an RX-7. When I wanted my HKS Ti... everyone said how loud it was. Jeez... Compared to my old 7 with straight through exhaust.. this thing sounds like a Lexus with the windows up! My friend had the Apex GT on his single turbo 7 and it was damn near deafening... rotarys are F*&CK1n6 loud! haha
That definitely is part of it.....even without a downpipe, my RX-7 was about as loud as my Supra.

Single turbos just make things even louder....I don't know those guys can drive around with such a loud exhaust on the streets.

·
Moderator, Boost Addict
2,597 Posts
You let the exhaust break in yet? Trust me, for some odd reason a few months after owning it, the sound will be much louder. TTC also makes the tone far deeper and louder. My old Tanabe RM was much louder than my new one for some reason as well.

Adam

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
The N1s I've seen do have a resonator. The systems are the same size and diameter throughout except that the N1's rear canister appears to be ever so slightly smaller diameter and have squared off edges instead of round. The N1 piping is coated instead of polished stainless. Hearing the two side by side, they sounded the same to me.

Is there any chance that the N1 car you heard was on True Twin Conversion or a single turbo? Either of those mods will make the cars much louder than the twins running only on the #1 turbo.

Steve

DefBringer said:

N1 doesn't have a resonator, GT Spec does. The N1 is definitely louder in my opinion.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts