Supra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Tired of being sexy
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just installed my massive BIC Thunder Exhaust system with a ddp and it is amazing. However, I know in around a year I will need to take emmissions again. I was thinking of getting a 3 inch catalytic converter off ebay, cutting it to the size of my test pipe and sticking some flanges on it to pass emmissions. Will this plan work? There are tons of cats on ebay and there does not seem to be any differences between them. Does anyone else do this for emmissions? My previous catback had a cat welded on and I have never had problems passing.

I would just like some input from you guys.

thanks

·
BMM
2,329 Posts
It should work. Putting flanges on would be convienent too after emissions, just slap back on the test pipe.

·
Tired of being sexy
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I used to run open dp, and for emmissions I would re-install my entire catback. Nowadays I want my car to be slightly more civilized. I just want to set it and forget it!

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
I bought a 3" no-name cat from summit racing for like $35 around 3 years ago, and I've never failed emissions. Any EPA approved cat should work fine.

·
Stormcock approves
1,859 Posts
I don't know how they do emissions where you live, but some places might not be too happy to find a DDP in there.

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
they don't notice the DDP since it won't even be under enough strain for the WG to open...

just passes emissions here with a DDP on the rollers too...

·
Registered
317 Posts
Cat converters can differ by material and size. Some cores are made of ceramic material and others metalic. The other difference is the number of cells per inch. The less cells, the more the flow, but less effect on controlling emmisions.

·
Crow
964 Posts
does anyone know a 3" 2 flange cat that works for us well? I just want to throw one on for visual inspections as well, then throw the test pipe back on

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
most of the major vendors carry bolt on cats for us, and some even have the metal matrix ones that don't melt and clog...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts