Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was assessing if a mkiv had had the front bumper repainted or not, when I started to wonder about this.

I would think that most likely all mkivs were shipped with a front plate holder installed, and that all cars without one at some point had the holes filled and painted. Do people agree? Any examples of 100% sure fact that a car came from factory without a front plate bracket?

·
Registered
330 Posts
My 94 that I bought used did not have holes in it for the the plate holder. I actually found the holder unopened in plastic in the trunk when I was pulling out the spare.

I would think that it is more likely that the the plate holders were installed at the dealerships in states that required them.

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
97-98 front bumpers came with holes pre-drilled from toyota. 93.5-96 front bumpers did not have pre-drilled holes.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Each country, in fact each state within the union, has different regs concerning this. OEMs can't possibly cover all the bases. Therefore, no, the license plate holder was only installed as necessary and only at the dealer level.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks - sounds like the right answer is that it depends on which year. Too bad they predrilled all the 97-98s.

·
Last stock TT on Earth
625 Posts
^ Strange. There are no holes on my front bumber and it's a 97.

·
GO 'Cats!
1,001 Posts
My 97 has indentations in the bumper for the drill holes if you want or need a front plate. I opted out in TX. and have had no problems running w/o the front. The "dents" are hard to see and I heard this info. from the stealership when I asked what type of bracket etc. I may need.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Now this information from bonz has me VERY curious. I was told by seller my '98 had never had any paint, at first I believed that, because there is not a trace of overspray or funny edges anywhere on the front bumper. But I too can see four very faint little indentations where the plate bracket would go. I figured that was a sign that it must have had holes filled in and then been re-painted.

So who is right - dukki saying 97-98s all came drilled? or bonz are you saying you've had the car since new, and know for certain you're bumper hasn't been painted??

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
i just bought a brand new stock bumper from curt and he told me tht the 97-98 come with pre drilled holes and the 93.5-96 do not. so, what I said came from curt.

on a side note, why is this important?

·
LexusTico
3,172 Posts
my dad's 97 has dimples on it. they came with dimples where the holes are supposed to go.

my 95 came with dimples as well.

even my 88 came with dimples.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Dukki said:
i just bought a brand new stock bumper from curt and he told me tht the 97-98 come with pre drilled holes and the 93.5-96 do not. so, what I said came from curt.

on a side note, why is this important?
That's a fair question! It's important to me because I just paid a lot for a pristine car that was described as never had any paint or body work, which helps the value of the car. So I will be much happier if I can determine that my new car's little dimples are factory original, and not due to some bodywork that was not disclosed by the seller.

·
T88 YOU
3,567 Posts
when the car rolls out of the plant it usually has the dimples but in my experience, they are NEVER predrilled, only dimpled

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
I figured that's why you asked. I don't blame you. What state was the car first purchased at? You might want to find out if that state requires a front plate by law.

beezupra said:
That's a fair question! It's important to me because I just paid a lot for a pristine car that was described as never had any paint or body work, which helps the value of the car. So I will be much happier if I can determine that my new car's little dimples are factory original, and not due to some bodywork that was not disclosed by the seller.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Holes would depend on the state. Some states require installation of the front bracket. My car came from AZ and its a 97. Dimples not holes. Clearly even if the previous owner had the car repainted its not be filled (or there wouldn't be dimples) and its not a bumper off another year since it has the grill.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I worked at a car dealership and we had to install all the front license plate holders when we prepared the car after it was sold.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
My car was purchased new and spent its whole life in Tennessee. Anybody know if thats a no-plate state? Sure sounds like I'm just seeing the factory dimples that everyone else is describing.

Luckily the front-plate thing here in CO is mostly unenforced - I have no intention of putting one on.

·
Registered
52 Posts
beezupra said:
My car was purchased new and spent its whole life in Tennessee. Anybody know if thats a no-plate state? Sure sounds like I'm just seeing the factory dimples that everyone else is describing.

Luckily the front-plate thing here in CO is mostly unenforced - I have no intention of putting one on.
TN does not require front plates.

·
Premium Member
46,548 Posts
AS A REPLACEMENT PART [ front bumper cover] :

97-98 Covers are PRE-DRILLED for the liscence plate.

93.5-96 Covers are NOT PRE-DRILLED for the liscence plate.

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
Hwilli said:
My 94 that I bought used did not have holes in it for the the plate holder. I actually found the holder unopened in plastic in the trunk when I was pulling out the spare.

I would think that it is more likely that the the plate holders were installed at the dealerships in states that required them.

same here

1 - 20 of 22 Posts